IGNORED

Keeper as Captain - not working for me.

brady bunch

Never been a fan of the keeper being the captain and we lack leadership on the pitch, a good example is the free kick that Wells balls up (yet again). The 3 /4 players over the ball beforehand appeared to arguing over who was going to take it? surely these things are decided before the game and if not the Captain should be stepping in to sort it out. how can a keeper do that?

Add in Bents is certainly not playing at the level he was last season (so is the weight of the armband not helping him IMHO)

Matty James would get my vote as he looks to be a starter in every game and does appear to have a good brain on him.

6 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Never been a fan of the keeper being the captain and we lack leadership on the pitch, a good example is the free kick that Wells balls up (yet again). The 3 /4 players over the ball beforehand appeared to arguing over who was going to take it? surely these things are decided before the game and if not the Captain should be stepping in to sort it out. how can a keeper do that?

Add in Bents is certainly not playing at the level he was last season (so is the weight of the armband not helping him IMHO)

Matty James would get my vote as he looks to be a starter in every game and does appear to have a good brain on him.

Or those in midfield should take responsibility, surely those experienced enough should show some leadership. I’m not a fan of keepers being captain but I think you usually get one or two players who are natural leaders. Matty James or Andy King…

10 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

The Captain's armband is largely ceremonial. More relates to fines and off field things. There are others on the pitch who fill this role and I'm pretty certain that NP has mentioned this about 57 squillion times, approximately. ?

I appreciate you are trying to start a discussion, however this doesn't really go anywhere alas

Yeah I agree with this. 

If you’re a leader and want to be vocal, it won’t matter if an armband is on your arm, you’ll do it anyway.

I think we have more pressing issues than this at the moment. Also agree with above poster nowadays the armband is more ceremonial. Interesting listening to Peter Crouch's podcast last year on the subject of Team captain, the main roles being to distribute the complimentary tickets on the coach and organise the Christmas party.

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Opinion based on nothing really. Matty James as captain? None of us know if he would be a good captain or even wants to be captain 

He’s a leader….that we do know.

Im happy with Bents as captain….it’s more a token thing these days anyway.  He’s gonna play every game….bar cup, unless injured or awful turn of form.  None of the outfield players will, so you’d have to constantly change the captain.

They should all be trying to be leaders.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

Spot on. Hard to understand the thinking behind Bentley as Captain. But it is done now so I imagine we are stuck with it.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

In most areas where teams are involved and communicate a natural leader arises. This is just not in football but also in work teams. A team leader should naturally arise which will bring the team back on track. The Captain and those awarded it should be honored. 

Not sure if we have one player at the moment that can step up and be awarded such a position 

Archived