IGNORED

The old tunnel at AG

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Stephen Kew, yes, but I'm very surprised Les would be allegedly involved in something like that .

Those Div one days threw up some other estimated attendances. Liverpool was given as about 37,000 , but they said the gates were forced. I imagine it was easy to "lose" the count from a turnstile or two, all cash and few checks.

17 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

One from the past….Sir G Merrick, G Sweeney, T Richie and C Whitehead (I think) taking to the pitch.

74758D81-D691-495D-9EB7-13385BA5A642.jpeg

Great post with Geoff leading out the team and it looks like Gerry Sweeney behind him but I could be wrong. can not see the third player clearly but the fourth with his left arm up against his chin is Clive Whitehead,

Who can remember though the two tin sheds in front which was always the home one or the away team. From memory in the Enclosure we were home manager and trainers in the left looking on to the ground and the away ones were on the right.

The Enclosure then was ultimate and positioned well in front of the Grand Stand.

Jeesus christ im probably in that photo some where as well.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Any excuse to post this…

Nows that a pre match atmosphere and not an MC in sight ir stupid music in ear shot.

None of the silly nonsense of walking out together and shaking hands.

great memories and always a great place to be week in and week out at home matches. I remember Ashton Gate from the early 70,s where my dad took took me as young tacker, my later years in my teens with my mates, my early 20,s with my missues grand dad that had a season ticket in the Dolman stand since god was born until the day he died, may he RIP, Sorry but the  stadium today is futuristic but has no feeling where we need the comfort feeling where we as City supporters belong.

I always feel at home when back in the UK and I can remember where I sat and in which stand every time when getting back to BS3. 

30 minutes ago, City oz said:

Great post with Geoff leading out the team and it looks like Gerry Sweeney behind him but I could be wrong. can not see the third player clearly but the fourth with his left arm up against his chin is Clive Whitehead,

Who can remember though the two tin sheds in front which was always the home one or the away team. From memory in the Enclosure we were home manager and trainers in the left looking on to the ground and the away ones were on the right.

The Enclosure then was ultimate and positioned well in front of the Grand Stand.

Jeesus christ im probably in that photo some where as well.

I remember it as the home dugout was the one on the open end side and the away dugout was on the EE side. 

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

Any excuse to post this…

Nows that a pre match atmosphere and not an MC in sight ir stupid music in ear shot.

None of the silly nonsense of walking out together and shaking hands.

Some highlights:

2:54

3:26

7:10

Then the build up of noise just before kickoff from 7:35 onward.

This is the reason I fell in love with city and football.

There is nothing the modern game offers that betters this experience.

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

No, more likely an off duty copper or CID. The tall copper with the helmet used to take me and his lad and we would sit on a wooden bench alongside the dugouts.

The seats you’re referring to @Sir Geoff were known as “Ringside” seats. I first sat there as a 9 year old in 1966!

22 hours ago, Nickybee said:

Which season(s) did Peter Cormack, Geert Meijer & Perrti Jantunen join us? 

I seem to remember Meijer’s debut (possibly vs Birmingham) when he was doing step overs etc & thought it was great ? 

Cormack joined us from Liverpool quite early on in that first season, I think not long after Norman came down. 

Meijer and Jantunen didn't arrive until the relegation season of 79/80. I remember the same as you, Geert Meijer looked sensational on his debut and we thought we had signed the next Cruyff! But after that he was disappointing, Hunter had retired to his sports shop and neither of these new foreign lads nor Tony Fitzpatrick could arrest the inevitable and  almost terminal decline ?

3 hours ago, Garland said:

The guy with the cigarette is Bob O’Connor - who was the Stadium Maintenance Man

I have a dvd of a City game at Eastville in the mid 70s, with the TV footage clearly showing Alan Dicks toking on a ciggy in the dugout during the game. Difficult now to believe how different the world was. 

Archived