IGNORED

Stopping the rot

Dredd

I actually think tonight’s game is more important than a 3rd game of the season affair. 
Since NP has come in, results have been poor. There’s many reasons for that, most of which were outside of Pearson’s control, but the fact remains that this was a team that was used to losing, and usually without much fight. We should have beaten Blackpool and FGR, Boro was always going to be tough but I think it’s really important we get a win under our belts and get going under Pearson. Winning breeds confidence and I think the squad is short on that at the moment. So let’s get some momentum, no going down without a fight, and have a bit of belief. 
Reading have scored a 4 in their first two league games so have a goal in them, but have let in 4 as well. We need to be solid at the back (bring in Kalas for me) and Wells up top. I don’t care if he plays in one of those wide forward positions as he makes the right moves into the box and is out most natural goal scorer. 

Just now, Gimme Shelton said:

Kalas right back? It sort of worked with Bailey Wright.

I think he’s played there for us before, but I’m not sure RB is the problem area (not yet anyway). I do think he offers better cover for Vyner than Baker does, being a right footer helps in that regard. 

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

First and foremost I’d love to see a clean sheet.  Anything else is a bonus.

I think we need a win really. Even a draw wouldn’t be enough for some sections of our support if we then lose vs Swansea and Cardiff.

I’d like to think most would keep a long term perspective - but I know that if we end up with 0 points from 5 the support would get very jittery.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think we need a win really. Even a draw wouldn’t be enough for some sections of our support if we then lose vs Swansea and Cardiff.

I’d like to think most would keep a long term perspective - but I know that if we end up with 0 points from 5 the support would get very jittery.

Especially as we've already got 1 point!

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d like a win, but I’m happy with baby steps improvement.  I genuinely couldn’t give a toss what some sections of our fanbase think…..one game at a time too. ???

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You’re right and whilst just a typo on my part.. bit of a Freudian slip in a way. Shows the Blackpool game felt like a loss and perhaps explains why some fans seem rattled so early when you factor in last season’s form.

Last minute equalisers always feel like a loss, they're rubbish. If we scored that last minute equaliser I reckon the mood would be different here. 

4 hours ago, Dredd said:

I think he’s played there for us before, but I’m not sure RB is the problem area (not yet anyway). I do think he offers better cover for Vyner than Baker does, being a right footer helps in that regard. 

Already changing my mind. RB is a problem

3 points is great. I'm happy we won.

But, I'm not sure tonight is a sign of a great turnaround. Reading were better in almost every metric. 80% pass completion to our 61%. We only completed about 170 passes in the whole match - Reading managed 450ish. Just the 8 shots for us, 5 of which found the target and of course 3 went in - so again a reliance on clinical finishing that is very difficult to sustain. Those numbers are reminiscent of last season.

Good to get the win, and some improvements in terms of workrate, but I'd keep the champagne on ice for now.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But, I'm not sure tonight is a sign of a great turnaround. Reading were better in almost every metric. 80% pass completion to our 61%. We only completed about 170 passes in the whole match - Reading managed 450ish. Just the 8 shots for us, 5 of which found the target and of course 3 went in - so again a reliance on clinical finishing that is very difficult to sustain. Those numbers are reminiscent of last season.

Good to get the win, and some improvements in terms of workrate, but I'd keep the champagne on ice for now.

Killjoy.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sometimes stats dont tell the full story.  

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Still work in progress for sure, but I would argue the two best chances tonight after the goals were Kalas and ours right at the end. It’s always thin lines in this league, but across the 3 matches so far 4 points is about right. Not lucky tonight.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

A lot of their passes were pointlessly unambitious and easy to complete though. That said, didn’t think it was a massive improvement on previous 2 leagues, but didn’t think we were awful in those. Some things a bit better tonight, including the rub of the green. Overall pleased with work rate and organisation and we do, at times, pose a threat going forward. Still need to cut out daft defensive errors and switching off at the wrong time. But attitude night and day vs end of last season and that’s a massive positive. Impressed with Pring. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maybe it’s been so long that we’ve seen a win, even longer a good performance. But I thought we played well bar the last 10 minutes…

I think Pring coming off weakened us and after them scoring the 2nd, we were always going to sit on the lead.

I definitely saw some encouraging signs.

15 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Sometimes stats dont tell the full story.  

13 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Still work in progress for sure, but I would argue the two best chances tonight after the goals were Kalas and ours right at the end. It’s always thin lines in this league, but across the 3 matches so far 4 points is about right. Not lucky tonight.

12 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

A lot of their passes were pointlessly unambitious and easy to complete though. That said, didn’t think it was a massive improvement on previous 2 leagues, but didn’t think we were awful in those. Some things a bit better tonight, including the rub of the green. Overall pleased with work rate and organisation and we do, at times, pose a threat going forward. Still need to cut out daft defensive errors and switching off at the wrong time. But attitude night and day vs end of last season and that’s a massive positive. Impressed with Pring. 

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Maybe it’s been so long that we’ve seen a win, even longer a good performance. But I thought we played well bar the last 10 minutes…

I think Pring coming off weakened us and after them scoring the 2nd, we were always going to sit on the lead.

I definitely saw some encouraging signs.

I think I can answer you all at once as I agree with a lot of what's written here.

I know stats don't tell the full story, I said this was a statbuster game on the match thread. I also agree that there are signs of improvement, as there were in the Blackpool game. As you guys say some bright individual performances that are encouraging, and I agree Reading were not great even with so much possession.

My point is that whilst the win is good tonight, if we post those numbers in other games, against better opposition, then we won't get too many more.

I just like to keep my feet on the ground. After both losses and wins.

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This is a prime example of why I think too many people over rely on stats . Our work rate , passing &  movement  much better than last season & a improvement on this. I’ll continue to go on what I see rather than bloody pass completion rates etc. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think I can answer you all at once as I agree with a lot of what's written here.

I know stats don't tell the full story, I said this was a statbuster game on the match thread. I also agree that there are signs of improvement, as there were in the Blackpool game. As you guys say some bright individual performances that are encouraging, and I agree Reading were not great even with so much possession.

My point is that whilst the win is good tonight, if we post those numbers in other games, against better opposition, then we won't get too many more.

I just like to keep my feet on the ground. After both losses and wins.

It depends how the numbers are posted. 

If you bombard a an opponent with your energy, like we did for the first almost 20 minutes, then you need to make it count with goals. We did. As an away side, a two goal lead will nearly always lead to a behavioural change. 

Then, when conceding possession and defending, are you in control or not? Are you resolute?

Basically, we could post those exact same stats over and over and win every game, but only if we follow certain patterns within the game.

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Basically, we could post those exact same stats over and over and win every game, but only if we follow certain patterns within the game.

Based on what? I disagree because we've been posting the same figures - in terms of shots/shots on target for a year now...and we've not been winning every game. Happy to disagree of course, but on that showing we still need a lot of improvement.

Archived