IGNORED

Reading away - match thread

Jerseybean

Just now, westonred said:

But if we replace Wells with a championship goal scorer of the same quality he will want the same sort of wages Wells is on or even more.

Let's be honest he is crap, he has been a disastrous signing. Not a man for the trenches and best gone if we can convince a club to take on his wage. 

21 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That’s what I reckon but can’t quite work it out. This has a whiff of tombola about it to me….. 

I hope not. That’s what we used to say about LJ and ,towards the end of his time with City, GJ

2 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Because the midfielders at the club either cannot stay fit or not good enough. I'm sure he will want to make more signings and changes if the previous regime hadn't left us up shit creek. 

That’s sort of fair enough though We had awful, injured players all over the pitch. He choose to add to the central midfielders…. Something isn’t right if Nagy didn’t want to bugger off, Williams had been fit (as he was expected to be) we’d have had HNM and Bakinson, so off the top of my head 6 for 2 positions. He inherited an unbalanced squad… but is it any less unbalanced? 

2 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Let's be honest he is crap, he has been a disastrous signing. Not a man for the trenches and best gone if we can convince a club to take on his wage. 

He's an average Champ striker. A 1 in 3 man. Always was before that 6 month purple patch at QPR that seemingly made him and everyone else think he was van Nistelrooy reborn. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I hope not. That’s what we used to say about LJ and ,towards the end of his time with City, GJ

I remember it well. 

it happened when we had squads full of players who were much of a muchness and no obvious formula.  I hate to say it but that’s how it feels right now. 

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

But if we replace Wells with a championship goal scorer of the same quality he will want the same sort of wages Wells is on or even more.

Oh please not the same quality.  We need a 15/20 goals a season striker.  Not one who has averaged 10 a season for past 5 seasons.  He simply isn’t good enough.  Not saying Martin is the answer with a worse record than Wells. Fingers crossed we can find a hungry striker from lower leagues, a Premiership loanee, or a French striker.

18 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Pring instead of Wells, Palmer, HNM or Bakinson… what does that say to them…

It says that had he picked ANY of them on the left hand side of midfield and we conceded down that side tonight you would have bellyached about square pegs in round holes when we had a natural left footer in Pring on the bench and was further proof he doesn't know what he's doing?

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

That’s sort of fair enough though We had awful, injured players all over the pitch. He choose to add to the central midfielders…. Something isn’t right if Nagy didn’t want to bugger off, Williams had been fit (as he was expected to be) we’d have had HNM and Bakinson, so off the top of my head 6 for 2 positions. He inherited an unbalanced squad… but is it any less unbalanced? 

Agreed, thankfully he did recruit for those positions otherwise we would even worse. He cannot sort out the imbalance with no money and one window, just need to accept it gonna take him or someone else time. 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

To be fair Martin seems to be an important player in how the team plays. No problem him being in if that's the case. Wells in might mean a very different way of playing Nige hasn't worked on so much.

Interesting to see who plays left wing. Pring is stronger, taller and a bit quicker. But Dasilva is actually a very capable defender. In some ways he's pretty solid actually at this level.

Really 50/50 on who that left winger will be. I think Pring loves to make runs from deep..but it also suits Dasilva playing left back. Dasilva is the much more skillful in tight positions, so in some ways that suits him to play further forward more than Pring.

Really glad Kalas is back in. Interesting it's for Baker who played well last game. Atkinson being quicker than Baker and Kalas being very quick, it might give us a chance to play a higher line..but then you have Simpson as a part of that line! Really hope he looks sharper tonight.

Agree with you about our shape and Martin. But he really was awful on Saturday; he maybe deserves one off day because he did ok v Blackpool, but needs a better one tonight. 

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What it says about you is you’ve done nothing but constantly ******* moan before a balls been kicked. This is why i will always try & wait 

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Don't feed the troll lads, hopefully he'll get the message and **** off to SagChat.

So you think that looks like a decent sIde?

You think Simspson looks a good signing ?

You think Baker should be dropped ?

You think either JD or Pring are Left wingers at championship level ?

You think Wells should be on the bench  ?

You think Martin on his own upfront will get us enough goals ?

You think our midfield looks like mobile enough for the championship ?

So what exactly am I saying that most people who know anything about football am supposed to be saying that is anyway controversial ?

Its because we are doing the above we are in the mess we are.

So before you use the word troll or gas have a think and take a breath and think ‘Yeah maybe he has got a point’ …..

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh please not the same quality.  We need a 15/20 goals a season striker.  Not one who has averaged 10 a season for past 5 seasons.  He simply isn’t good enough.  Not saying Martin is the answer with a worse record than Wells. Fingers crossed we can find a hungry striker from lower leagues, a Premiership loanee, or a French striker.

Agree that it would be nice to upgrade on Wells if possible, but I think terms like "simply not good enough" are a little harsh.

Is he good enough to score 20+ goals and get us into the playoffs? Probably not. But is that realistically our aim this season? No.

Is he good enough to score 14 goals for a team who are aiming to finish midtable this season? Probably, yes.

Archived