IGNORED

Reading away - match thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Reading aren’t great but neither are we.  We can’t make the ball stick and keep giving it back to them.

Can’t fault the commitment from the players. 

Yeh, ahead through two good chances that we finished well. We played pretty well in that opening 15 but then conceded in a manner similar to some of the other poor goals we've allowed this season. We seem very vulnerable to a by-line run and cut-back into the box. We also continue to struggle to create chances in open play.

We're going to play some much better teams than Reading this season so I really hope we can make this result stick and see out this game.

Well that was really good, much improved from Saturday.  Moved the ball quickly, too good for Reading early on.  So not Vyner's long-throw but Kalas's. And Matty James is dynamite on free-kicks from that range, finds his man.

Reading moving it nicely but we are well organised.  The two front-men getting across the pitch to close well.  Shape wise we condense across the pitch so much quicker than normal.  James intensity is great too.

Little shout to Pring, that's how a left winger closes a player with intensity, purpose and with menace.  Yiadom very nervous of a bad touch.  O'Dowda could learn from this.

Simpson very steady, almost a great pass to James.

Reading Goal was very well worked, although we just got out of position thinking the ball was going for a throw-in.

Enjoyable watch.

Still not seeing many shots from open play (not counting headers) which worries me over the course of the season. We definitely don't look like the passing team of a few seasons ago, but being competitive and good in the air works for many teams in this division. Great opportunity to win the game now!

Last season it was a case of “we never look like winning “

today at half time one has to say that we had an outstanding first 19 minutes but dropped off a bit after conceding from Reading’s first real attack of note.

second half will be a real test of character but I’m impressed with the commitment shown today 

Probably as good a half we've had since Pearson arrived. Great start with 2 really good goals but Reading changed their formation and they've got back in the game. The negative is that yet again the opposition score after getting to the bye line down our right. The positives being Kalas long throws and our press, particularly the performances of James and Scott. 

7 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I seem to remember twice before reading have beaten us 3 - 2 from us being 2 - 0 up and both happened at home one under LJ and one under Millen.....I dont believe in jinxing so I dont think that will happen tonight. I think we have another goal in us.

And if I remember correctly we were 2-0 up until around the 70 minute mark, in both games. 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Ahead at HT. Deserve to be and restricted them to very little. Mind you, their goal did highlight we are capable of calamitous defending whatever the state of the match. Working hard off the ball but unable to hold possession when we have it.

I am also increasingly convinced I am in a simulation the last year where the writers are going ‘what can we do today to create the most dispair…I know, give them an early two goal lead…’

Why does it have to be poor defending ?

Looked to me to be a very good goal from Reading - it happens and will happen throughout the season.

Pessimistic comment alert. Great to be ahead, however, concerning that IMO Reading controlled the second half of the first half and we hardly touched the ball. Unless we can get hold of the ball and keep it much better this is going to not end well.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

LJ did the very same 

Yep. That was when it all started to be about high-likelihood chances rather than just peppering the goal. It was most notable when looking at how we barely ever shot from outside the box.

Personally I think that generally we've gone too far along this road and need to be a bit more prolific. But it's about a balance between quantity and quality of shot - see our win last season v Blackburn for a team that shot loads but with little quality/danger.

Archived