IGNORED

Reading away - match thread

Jerseybean

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I have to admit to being very big on xG and Infogol.

It's dizzying to see us racking up 2.18 xG in a game after last season!

Believe it or not I don’t go huge on it, but like the xG timelines that Experimental 361 create because they show the flow / sequence of chances.  Together with things like passing rate, pressing (PPDA) etc you can build a picture of the game.  Still balls in the onion bag that count….but whereas last season we were near the bottom of lots of team stats, this season (very small sample) we have improved a lot.

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I love this board,  In general all for freedom of speech, but hate it when someone has a different view and openly want to 'cancel' them. 

We won, it's a about sodding time. 

I thought the fuming, the anger if you will came from passion and that we made it harder than we bloody had too. 

It's actually a good thing. However the responses so far around that comment show more about the posters than the actualities

To you perhaps, to me it's different, it's a different way of seeing the same thing. You say tomayto I say tomato etc. 

Picture still versus an interview, nice false equivalence there

See above regarding tomayto vs tomato. See the same thing  differently 

I'm actually very happy and glad of the win. How's that constant antagonism and piss poor attempt at trolling working out for you?

----------

Agree with @spudski again about AW he was initially brought in to replicate the Bobby Reid role and if played centrally consistently or in the right way would always be a threat and has proven so. 

We haven't had a piss poor team, we've actually got an awesome team, and hopefully this will help with confidence for rest of the season and NP can show more consistently what we have. We needed a win and so glad we have that. I hope it's more than a blip and can shke off the nervous anxiety that plagued last year. 

It's great to finally say we won and hopefully we can do it again on Friday. 

I am surprised by the description of ‘awesome’. I’d use that word to describe a league winning side, definitely not a likely lower half side. What does ‘awesome’ mean to you in this context?

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I've said it across a few threads, but having a mix of seasoned internationals (Kalas, Weimann, Wells, Nagy, CoDetc) or ex internationals (Martin, unless his form earns a call up) along with some massively exciting youth/youngsters (Scott, Massengo, Atkinson, Semenyo, Janneh, Conway etc) means like last year we have a squad who could and should do this. 

Many will disagree, however I think it is one of the best squads we've ever had tbh. 

Ok, and where would you expect this ‘awesome’ squad to finish then realistically? 

I must say it’s interesting you don’t include the likes of James who’s clearly a very strong player and has made a big contribution already.

8 hours ago, David Brent said:

You’re my favourite parody account

I sense that 'Nige is fuming' could become an OTIB meme...

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Really insightful interview.

But the stats and your favourite xG completely bear out what happened. ???

image.thumb.png.d5b7777d9e453bca75467200543cd829.png

Yeah that's what it seemed like

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

So a possible one then! ;)

Well they didn't call the films Mission Only Barely Possible If Tom Cruise Absolutely Nails Some Ridiculous Stunts, did they?!

That goal was Mission No Way Can Liam Moore Score From There Unless He Gets A Completely Jammy Toe Poke To the Bottom Corner...

31 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Didn't see this earlier 

Regards squad and finish, anywhere from 4th to 17th which was my last year pick iirc. 

Re James, i didn't include everyone in the post, cos could have got finger cramp. For me there's one exception, but that's just me, however the squad as a whole has unbelievable potential if it can come together consistently. Sorted. 

4th - 17th is a very broad stroke. Wouldn’t say that’s specific enough to be much of a prediction. 

For argument’s sake then; we finish 17th. Is that still an awesome squad? I’d say pretty clearly it isn’t. 

37 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's what we do with that potential that matters, for way too long we've sat on it, squandered it or misused it whilst here. We can still have an awesome squad, only for it not to come off for whatever reason. 

You may disagree but it works for me. 

Interesting. 

Personally, I think your framing of the squad as "awesome" is so that if the squad doesn't achieve "awesome" things you can use it as a stick to beat Pearson with.

You may disagree, but it works for me! ?

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting. 

Personally, I think your framing of the squad as "awesome" is so that if the squad doesn't achieve "awesome" things you can use it as a stick to beat Pearson with.

I wouldn’t engage anymore. I am convinced RMLF is a plant to make the reasonably switched on City supporters, many of who have followed the team for years and some who, no doubt have played to a reasonable standard too, question everything we know or thought we knew about football.

Quite what benefit the poster gets from continually taking an anti-populous and irrational view and then arguing it within an inch of its life, whilst winding themselves up into a frenzy on most threads is what I cannot figure out.

As I have found out, any attempts to sensibly debate or question quickly spirals into a surreal black hole of nonsense.

The fact that Ralph Milne was one of favourite players as a kid makes this even more irritating!

6 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I wouldn’t engage anymore. I am convinced RMLF is a plant to make the reasonably switched on City supporters, many of who have followed the team for years and some who, no doubt have played to a reasonable standard too, question everything we know or thought we knew about football.

Quite what benefit the poster gets from continual anti-populous or rational view and then arguing it within an inch of its life, whilst winding themselves up into a frenzy on most threads is what I cannot figure out.

As I have found out, any attempts to sensibly debate or question quickly spirals into a surreal black hole of nonsense.

The fact that Ralph Milne was one of favourite players as a kid makes this even more irritating!

Haha, I am just enjoying humouring them really the same way I'd humour Robbored.

I think it was right in this instance to highlight the dastardly and nefarious intentions behind describing the squad as "awesome" as I'm convinced that's their true motive. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, I am just enjoying humouring them really the same way I'd humour Robbored.

I think it was right in this instance to highlight true dastardly and nefarious intentions behind describing the squad as "awesome" as I'm convinced that's their true motive. 

A quick read through the “Pearson Out” thread, will quickly highlight the narrative from said poster. Bizarre.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

A quick read through the “Pearson Out” thread, will quickly highlight the narrative from said poster. Bizarre.

What was particularly strange about that was the fabrication that there was heavy "Pearson Out" sentiment on social media.. but no links or screenshots to any of course.

It's just strange rhetoric at odds with what most people can see. I have no problem with people having different views, but their style of debate is designed and executed effectively to be as controversial as possible. You can express doubts about the management without being so divisive. 

After such a  long wait, I'm savouring the pleasure that goes with having won a game.

Almost forgot just how wonderful it feels. Long may it last.

Now that they have a notable win under their belt, I hope the players have greater belief, more confidence in their abilities and a burning desire to keep scoring loads of goals and winning games.

If so, and especially if they can get another consecutive win against Swansea, they are capable (with the addition of one or two quality signings) of accumulating a decent haul of points and become contenders for a top six position.

I realise  I'm being overly optimistic because of the feel-good factor, but it's a nice change from coming on here to have another whinge.

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

A broken clock is correct twice per day !

Boom ???

58 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Quite what benefit the poster gets from continually taking an anti-populous and irrational view and then arguing it within an inch of its life, whilst winding themselves up into a frenzy on most threads is what I cannot figure out.

Not sure I’ve read anything that makes me question anything I know about football.  Lots of other posters make me take a second look / thought. 

Sounds like you’ve typed the post I drafted and deleted last night….albeit slightly more politely than I would’ve. ?

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Boom ???

Not sure I’ve read anything that makes me question anything I know about football.  Lots of other posters make me take a second look / thought. 

Sounds like you’ve typed the post I drafted and deleted last night….albeit slightly more politely than I would’ve. ?

Don’t worry - I am still convinced I know what I am on about and want to see despite these numerous tests!! 

Plus - I really want this deleted post to see the light of day!!

8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

@TomF If you wouldn't mind I'd like my account deleted  and forgotten in keeping with GDPR and before that I'd love to make a Subject Access Request of all the posts and reports and data held with variations of or PM's and reports which mention this user name or any abbreviations thereof. 

Much obliged 

Hi @RalphMilnesLeftFoot please can you put this in writing to privacy@cliksoftware.com and I will get it processed - just so we can verify that this request is coming directly from the email address/account holder. 

With regards to a subject access request, please note that forum posts, reports and personal messages are not personally identifiable information.

Thanks, Tom

56 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Not the first or last poster to be hounded by some on here for merely having their own views. Sad from those who really should know better.

Yep. After all, it’s not unreasonable to question Pearson’s performance based on his record here so far. Holden gets lambasted as if he was an idiot while NP is to be given forever, based on the fact that apparently he can’t be expected to achieve anything with the hopeless players we have.

For what it’s worth I’m always in favour of giving managers time to settle in.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Not the first or last poster to be hounded by some on here for merely having their own views. Sad from those who really should know better.

It depends on how you look at it.  I might argue that some of the posters you maybe referring to are the ones doing the hounding.  It’s a fine line.  The person in question above has been responsible for a fair bit of “attacking the poster, not the post”, name-calling, etc.

Most posters on this forum are able to have a debate from different sides of the coin.  There are some that can’t.  There are some that want to drive a negative agenda.  That is their prerogative, but expect there to be those who challenge, or ask why.  It’s a forum, a forum that is at its best when you get good discussion back and forth.

Plus….Posting words can lose context over the spoken word admittedly, hence why we do see the odd “argument” on here.  That’s normal, and usually gets sorted with an “ok, let’s agree to disagree”.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Hardly. The poster appears to have left because they do not like the opposing views that others have had and then decides to take a very unusual and difficult position when expressing their reasons why.

The poster appears to have left under their own free-will because they do not like sensible debate on a football forum, citing the reason why as the very reason they have a problem in the first place.

I would suggest that a break from here is perhaps not a bad thing for the poster, who whilst I am sure is a massive City fan, seems to see a lot of other things and factors that ultimately lead to a negative experience.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It depends on how you look at it.  I might argue that some of the posters you maybe referring to are the ones doing the hounding.  It’s a fine line.  The person in question above has been responsible for a fair bit of “attacking the poster, not the post”, name-calling, etc.

Most posters on this forum are able to have a debate from different sides of the coin.  There are some that can’t.  There are some that want to drive a negative agenda.  That is their prerogative, but expect there to be those who challenge, or ask why.  It’s a forum, a forum that is at its best when you get good discussion back and forth.

Plus….Posting words can lose context over the spoken word admittedly, hence why we do see the odd “argument” on here.  That’s normal, and usually gets sorted with an “ok, let’s agree to disagree”.

Exactly. I appreciate that the poster in question had been in several fairly heated debates with many users on this forum, but the reply below seems to have been the final straw. I don't think anyone could argue that reply broke any rules or "hounded" the poster. It even contains a de facto "let's agree to disagree" at the end. 

It would be a shame if said poster really does want to finish using the forum, but I think that even in debates that have got quite heated they've absolutely given as good as they've got (and more). 

18 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting. 

Archived