IGNORED

Reading away - match thread

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. I appreciate that the poster in question had been in several fairly heated debates with many users on this forum, but the reply below seems to have been the final straw. I don't think anyone could argue said post broke any rules or "hounded" the poster. It even contains a de facto "let's agree to disagree" at the end. 

It would be a shame if said poster really does want to finish using the forum, but I think that even in debates that have got quite heated they've absolutely given as good as they've got (and more). 

Don’t take it on your shoulders, not yours to own.  Her decision.  You’re one of the respectful and respected posters on here.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I haven't bothered reading any of the big 'Pearson' thread (am I missing anything?), but people are well within their rights to criticise NP. Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Of course. It would be strange if there was no criticism of Pearson given how we've looked over the last 6 months. I think the difference is most regular posters on here can spot the difference between valid and thoughtful critique vs what appears to be an agenda.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

I haven't bothered reading any of the big 'Pearson' thread (am I missing anything?), but people are well within their rights to criticise NP. Only time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Yep, of course they are.

I think the biggest issue has been people (like myself) putting forward discussion points that whilst Nige’s accepting results have been disappointing, why there are mitigations and why that might be changing (pre-Tuesdays win) and being met with mildly aggressive, rude and name-calling (in some cases) responses, whilst failing to address the points raised to counter her view (and others).

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

and being met with mildly aggressive, rude and name-calling (in some cases) responses, whilst failing to address the points raised to counter her view (and others).

Shut up Fevs you big poo-head, you don't know nothing and anyway I'm not listening to you anyway lalalalalalal...

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It depends on how you look at it.  I might argue that some of the posters you maybe referring to are the ones doing the hounding.  It’s a fine line.  The person in question above has been responsible for a fair bit of “attacking the poster, not the post”, name-calling, etc.

Most posters on this forum are able to have a debate from different sides of the coin.  There are some that can’t.  There are some that want to drive a negative agenda.  That is their prerogative, but expect there to be those who challenge, or ask why.  It’s a forum, a forum that is at its best when you get good discussion back and forth.

Plus….Posting words can lose context over the spoken word admittedly, hence why we do see the odd “argument” on here.  That’s normal, and usually gets sorted with an “ok, let’s agree to disagree”.

Many of the posters words have been re-posted back in a "name calling" way i.e "awesome" "eek" etc obviously referring to the said poster, you have as well; "we are awesome" you know, for instance a clear attack on the poster and contributing nothing to what ever thread it was.

You no nothing about her or what she has been through I would 100% guarantee you and some others would have shown a bit more respect and cut her some slack if you did.

I missed seeing this thread while RMLF was still posting on it. It is a shame that "one of our own" finds it hard to disagree so vehemently and consistently and without respect for others.

This approach instantly kills the thread and inhibits debate. Maybe I was fortunate to grow up in an era where we went to and from matches on buses or trains where there were some heated discussions among the adults. But this meant that one learnt how to put a different view in such a way that it was listened to with respect, especially by ones elders.

And the queue at the newsagents waiting for the Green or Pink In could be quite tasty to say the least especially after a local derby.

But we always said goodbye and waited eagerly for the next Saturday to resume the confrontation.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I missed seeing this thread while RMLF was still posting on it. It is a shame that "one of our own" finds it hard to disagree so vehemently and consistently and without respect for others.

This approach instantly kills the thread and inhibits debate. Maybe I was fortunate to grow up in an era where we went to and from matches on buses or trains where there were some heated discussions among the adults. But this meant that one learnt how to put a different view in such a way that it was listened to with respect, especially by ones elders.

And the queue at the newsagents waiting for the Green or Pink In could be quite tasty to say the least especially after a local derby.

But we always said goodbye and waited eagerly for the next Saturday to resume the confrontation.

Happy days running down to get the green un for Dad (not before I had taken half hour reading it on the way back). The old man never needed to read it as I'd give him chapter and verse.

As for RMLF, it works two ways and there was an element of stalking and ganging up by two or three. Why not just ignore  ? 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Many of the posters words have been re-posted back in a "name calling" way i.e "awesome" "eek" etc obviously referring to the said poster, you have as well; "we are awesome" you know, for instance a clear attack on the poster and contributing nothing to what ever thread it was.

You no nothing about her or what she has been through I would 100% guarantee you and some others would have shown a bit more respect and cut her some slack if you did.

FWIW, how am I supposed to know anything about what she’s been through….I can only judge the poster by their posts, unless I happen to know them outside of OTIB.  What respect has she shown back to many posters on here?  Where has she wondered what another poster might be going through outside of the world of OTIB when she has a go at someone?

All seemed a bit one sided to me?

Apologies if we don’t agree on this.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Happy days running down to get the green un for Dad (not before I had taken half hour reading it on the way back). The old man never needed to read it as I'd give him chapter and verse.

As for RMLF, it works two ways and there was an element of stalking and ganging up by two or three. Why not just ignore  ? 

I went to get it for myself even if I was only six or seven. We soon got both Pink and Green so we could each have one to read

@bcfc01

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

I have no idea what anyone here has been through, and similarly they have no idea what I have. I do not expect them to either. I am here to discuss football matters on a football forum.

53 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If all comment that was stated on here was ignored, there would be no debate and no forum.

In my view there were a number of outlandish and even false “facts” stated that got a reaction, just in the same way I would expect to be taken to task if I posted things that were likely to provoke or inflame a passionate situation like a football forum for a club we all care deeply about.

I possibly naively engaged with this (bring relatively new to the forum) when I thought we were in a football based debate, and tried to have a reasonable two-way discussion, but when it became clear that I was receiving an over-emotional response I retreated.

As I have stated previously, there is nothing wrong with having your view opposed, however to respond to this in a way that makes it impossible for your view to be challenged makes the purpose of a forum or any debate futile, and in turn becomes a negative for the individual.

I wish everyone of my fellow City fans well, but I for one want to be able to debate and discuss my club with fact and reason, as is the purpose of this forum, without second-guessing someone elses perception of what I am saying based on their own personal experiences.

To repeat, football forum - football section - football discussion, with fact and basis if at all possible.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, how am I supposed to know anything about what she’s been through….I can only judge the poster by their posts, unless I happen to know them outside of OTIB.  What respect has she shown back to many posters on here?  Where has she wondered what another poster might be going through outside of the world of OTIB when she has a go at someone?

All seemed a bit one sided to me?

Apologies if we don’t agree on this.

I dont wish to carry this on after this reply and wont be posting again about it, but; you know "she" has recently transitioned from male to female a fact previously documented on here, (you must have some clue about the many years she went through in the build up to that) also suffered abuse and stalking in the build up to transitioning, again documented on here, this you know was why she had a downer on the Simpson signing...rightly or wrongly.

There was more, much more I know for a fact, but its not for me to say on a public forum.

I do respect you and you have made many great posts/threads but again rightly or wrongly I believe she was virtually "stalked" out of this forum.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I dont wish to carry this on after this reply and wont be posting again about it, but; you know "she" has recently transitioned from male to female a fact previously documented on here, (you must have some clue about the many years she went through in the build up to that) also suffered abuse and stalking in the build up to transitioning, again documented on here, this you know was why she had a downer on the Simpson signing...rightly or wrongly.

There was more, much more I know for a fact, but its not for me to say on a public forum.

I do respect you and you have made many great posts/threads but again rightly or wrongly I believe she was virtually "stalked" out of this forum.

I'd count yourself fortunate that said poster has gone, you typed "she" in quotation marks. That woud almost certainly have seen you labelled as Anti-something or other.

For someone who saw themselves as a champion of mental health, they weren't half quick to label people as anti this or that.

You obviously know a lot more about them than the rest of us, but for me, they came across as someone very quick to attack others and, well, just a not very nice person.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Again, proves the point that there was a lot of background and personal emotion fuelling the posts that were made. Its clear that because of personal experiences there was a different perception taken of various situations which in turn made posts look completely irrational to many on here. To then not acknowledge that but compound it by taking a passive-aggressive and defensive stance made the situation untenable.

The things you state, whilst clearly impactful and clearly need to be treated with sensitivity, have no relevance when debating football on a football forum.

Once this forum becomes a negative experience for me then I will take a break, so maybe this was the best thing to do for said poster.

On 18/08/2021 at 01:28, billywedlock said:

As one of the few Cityf ans who watched the game from the half way line , and up high (not far from  Nige) it was very pleasing to see how they have been working on shape and structure. There were moments when we really did move the ball very fast , and that is clearly what we are aiming to achieve this season. Confidence will play a big part as will familiarity, repeated training in this direction and support. Reading fans were very impressed with some of our passages of play and surprised at how good we were in those periods. We still managed our errors, but there was a lot of talking going on between our players and they are working very hard to improve. We are definitely going in the right direction, and the improvement over the last 2 league games very evident. The players are working for each other , and this as we know from the past when we had success, is an essential ingredient. 

This team will only get better this season. I am seeing so much improvement over last season. Disregard the idiotic comments of some fans on here. Debate and opinion is fine, but the comments this week were ill informed and lacking in substance. Ignorant actually. With the current situation, constraints, challenges, it is pleasing to see that we are not making excuses, we are getting on with it. 

Special mention again for our fans, you made a great noise and most certainly helped lift the team. We just need to create that same positive feeling at AG. This team deserves your support, they care and are working so hard to get better. They will. 

I’ve only just read this excellent post. Spot on again Billy. I really hope that those negative doubters pay particular attention to the second paragraph.

Based on your recent posts I reckon you’d do a better job as a sport journalist than GmG does……..……:cool2:

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Why do they deserve different treatment to others on here when for all any of us know any one of us on OTIB right now could be going through some serious crap in their personal life?

I did not like the way RMLF came across on here, sorry about whatever has happened in her own life, but that's no one on OTIB's fault. I am sure many others on this forum have gone through some serious things in their own life and they don't post about it and expect different treatment.

Just an opinion that anyway, I personally would like to see RMLF come back, I'll miss the debate

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Why do they deserve different treatment to others on here when for all any of us know any one of us on OTIB right now could be going through some serious crap in their personal life?

I did not like the way RMLF came across on here, sorry about whatever has happened in her own life, but that's no one on OTIB's fault. I am sure many others on this forum have gone through some serious things in their own life and they don't post about it and expect different treatment.

Just an opinion that anyway, I personally would like to see RMLF come back, I'll miss the debate

Agreed. Provided both parties are enjoying it and accept it for what it is (a debate with anonymous posters about Bristol City FC), strong debate with clear opposing views is good for the forum. The issue here is that RMLF appeared to stop enjoying it and was getting a bit too personally invested.

Obviously they have their own reasons for being lukewarm on Pearson and I think it involves Danny Simpson. I respect that, and it's not anyone's business on here why exactly that might be. 

I did feel they crossed the line quite often in how they debated. They'd subtly make things fairly personal and could actually be quite nasty in an indirect way I felt. A break from the forum, hopefully not forever, is probably good for them.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Provided both parties are enjoying it, strong debate with clear opposing views is good for the forum. The issue here is that RMLF appeared to stop enjoying it and was getting a bit too personally invested.

Obviously they have their own reasons for being lukewarm on Pearson and I think it involves Danny Simpson. I respect that, and it's not anyone's business on here why exactly that might be. 

I did feel they crossed the line quite often in how they debated. They'd subtly make things fairly personal and could actually be quite nasty in an indirect way I felt. A break from the forum, hopefully not forever, is probably good for them.

It's a shame they've gone, I wasn't reading the match day thread until I got home on Tuesday night so unaware what happened prior to that on the thread, it is true I did not like their stance on many things, football and outside of football, but life would be boring without difference of opinion. RMLF did give as good as she got for sure

RMLF if you are reading this, you should sign back up and come back on here, it's never personal no matter how it looks like or is intended, we're all City fans after all! 

4 hours ago, glos old boy said:

No, I had no idea.

All I knew was that she was a female….no idea of her gender history (assuming I am using correct terminology).  If she has mentioned this on posts, then she’s been on my ignore list for months….so I had no idea about that or anything related to that change.  You may recall I said I had no probs with here stance re Simpson, but completely unaware why, other than the obvious that “domestic abuse is not good”.  I’ve steered clear of that side of the debate, 1) it’s not something I have any knowledge of 2) the real detail of the DS case is not something I’m close to or followed and  3) I’d rather stick to talking football stuff.

So there you have my honest response.

Happy to chat on DM if you like (something I did offer Ralph).

I hope Ralph feels times away from the forum is beneficial.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I had no idea.

All I knew was that she was a female….no idea of her gender history (assuming I am using correct terminology).  If she has mentioned this on posts, then she’s been on my ignore list for months….so I had no idea about that or anything related to that change.  You may recall I said I had no probs with here stance re Simpson, but completely unaware why, other than the obvious that “domestic abuse is not good”.  I’ve steered clear of that side of the debate, 1) it’s not something I have any knowledge of 2) the real detail of the DS case is not something I’m close to or followed and  3) I’d rather stick to talking football stuff.

If it becomes incumbent on us to remember every poster’s asides about their personal circumstances, and treat their lives as a sort of parallel soap opera, then this is going to become very complicated!

There are a lot of familiar user names on here, but I very rarely try to remember who thinks what about footballers, let alone what they do in real life. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve steered clear of that side of the debate, 1) it’s not something I have any knowledge

Hasn't stopped you talking about football! Wa-hey!

Bad time for humour...?

End of the day OTIB is not real life and we shouldn't take it seriously. It's daft enough that we all take a ball game for kids so seriously, but let's not be bothered about what grown up kids on a forum say.

We could all have learnt a foreign language and a musical instrument in the time wasted talking about City. It's a good job Beethoven didn't have OTIB, cos his biggest achievement would have been mocking Robbored for going to watch the Gas at Wembley...

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Hasn't stopped you talking about football! Wa-hey!

Bad time for humour...?

A few pics with blobs, the odd chart, waffle, waffle, can fool anyone.  if Mark Ashton can fool wise old sages like SL that he knows anything about footie….I can fool OTIB ?

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, I had no idea.

quicky before Everything goes, best of luck to you will be on a well earned " break" anytime soon now....up the CITY :city::sub:

Archived