IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

Tully Bascomb

I was excited about this signing and he's delivered everything I'd hoped for. He's a centre back who likes defending and also likes playing football and he's self-assured. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play in the Premier League one day.

I was chatting to an Oxford fan at an event at the weekend. They were wondering if they had a sell on clause as he wouldn't be with us for long. They tipped him for the top and were frustrated to have lost him

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If he keeps this up all season. Offer him a new contract at the end of the season with a beefy release clause because we can’t lose these gems after 1 season! 

So why set release clause?

4 minutes ago, SBB said:

So why set release clause?

If it’s high enough it’ll turn off some interest, it’ll also give us a bigger backbone when negotiating if it ever happens as we can just request they meet it or GTFO. 

If he keeps improving on how well he’s already playing we simply have another Webster on our hands 

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If it’s high enough it’ll turn off some interest, it’ll also give us a bigger backbone when negotiating if it ever happens as we can just request they meet it or GTFO. 

If he keeps improving on how well he’s already playing we simply have another Webster on our hands 

Been thinking the same thing.  Footballing centre back in the mould of Webster.  Early days, but if TK sticks around, and he keeps developing, then it's only good news. 

Looks great business based on the start he's made.

Think Atkinson has looked excellent. Very good on the ball, but also big, strong and physical (traits sometimes lacking in "ball-playing" centre backs).

This is roughly what I hoped/expected to see from him, but what's really impressed me is how quickly he's been able to show it.

Also, credit to Kalas - thought he played brilliantly today too. Kalas and Atkinson have the potential to be one hell of a CB pairing.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I was thinking when Baker came on, please don't interrupt that centre back pairing. Glad that Nige was thinking the same in moving Baker to left back. Atkinson fantastic tonight and Kalas too.

Did you see Nige’s interview, more evidence he doesn’t watch games….”I didn’t know if Baker had played LB before”….he played there a fair bit for Villa, and even for us in his loan spell.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I was chatting to an Oxford fan at an event at the weekend. They were wondering if they had a sell on clause as he wouldn't be with us for long. They tipped him for the top and were frustrated to have lost him

I would expect so.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Think Atkinson has looked excellent. Very good on the ball, but also big, strong and physical (traits sometimes lacking in "ball-playing" centre backs).

This is roughly what I hoped/expected to see from him, but what's really impressed me is how quickly he's been able to show it.

Also, credit to Kalas - thought he played brilliantly today too. Kalas and Atkinson have the potential to be one hell of a CB pairing.

There was one clearance on his 6 yard box when a cross nutmegged Kalas that was vital.

Hes settled very quickly.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Did you see Nige’s interview, more evidence he doesn’t watch games….”I didn’t know if Baker had played LB before”….he played there a fair bit for Villa, and even for us in his loan spell.

To be fair, I think Nigel might have been more worried about his own players and their positions (Derby and Leuven) during Bakers last spell at Villa.

And his Leicester players before that.

If Baker was never on the radar as a potential signing, nor someone he came up against more than once or twice in the period then a decent chance he was aware of Baker as a CB, but not necessarily aware of his LB appearances.

A year or 2 ago I knew of Saka at Arsenal as a wing back, but only a wing back.

Over the last year I've seen him show he is more than capable on either wing, as a wing back, centrally behind the strikers or in central midfield, but only after I started watching out for him specifically. 

I think we all thought (and hoped, as long as Kalas stays) that we’d pivot towards a Kalas-Atkinson axis eventually. They compliment each other well, and Robs confidence level is impressive.

I didn’t know until the other day that Atkinson was an accomplished futsal player. That explains a lot!

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would expect so.

There was one clearance on his 6 yard box when a cross nutmegged Kalas that was vital.

Hes settled very quickly.

I think you are being a bit naive @Davefevs

Pearson will be very aware of Baker playing at left back. He, NP, probably considers it irrelevant to admit prior knowledge! That's the way he is.

Early days for the lad yet but so far so good - his confidence levels are what have impressed me thus far.
Far too early to be predicting him being a ‘superstar’ though, all defenders will make mistakes and the acid test will be how he reacts to an inevitable bad patch of form. Certainly like what I’ve seen so far though and at £1.5 million it looks good value.

8 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

To step up a league and perform as he has done, settling in so rapidly is amazing. We seem to have quite a good record scouting and signing CBs.

As a club it does seem to be a position we historically recruit well in i must say.

Archived