IGNORED

Danny Simpson

Davefevs

Just now, Davefevs said:

Solid.

That is all.

Was the role I was most worried about when I saw the line up tbh. Just came across in the match as knowing the job, knowing his limitations and what he can and cannot do. Was not a weak link and always think a back four as much as anything is developing partnerships, which takes time. Starting to see that I think.

Thought he was good today. There was a couple of clearances when we went 3-1 and particularly 3-2 up where he looked very panicked and I expected him to be more assured with his experience

In these situations he could have taken a touch and retained possession but swang a leg at it and ensured pressure instead with a poor, sliced clearance. 
Definitely a better option than Vyner at right back but I wouldn’t say any more than a 7/10.

41 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The epitome of 6/10

Totally agree….just what I wanted tonight. ??????

Had a 17 year old in front of him for 67 minutes and we didn’t get exposed. I need to review the goal to see where I think it broke down on that occasion….but Reading have some good footballers and Simpson stood up well.

Almost a beautiful first time pass through to James first half too.

Just kept it simple.

I have no issue with Vyner either, but hopefully some fans will be less negative about Simpson when he plays again.

58 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

Horrendous tonight, right back needs to be bought. 

Seriously? Were you there? If so, were you sober?

The OP described him as being 'solid'. He was and as an RB that'll do for me. OK he fluffed one clearance, but unlike Vyner it didn't look like going pear-shaped every time they ran at him.

Were you watching on the radio? True, he didn’t get much help, but we looked exposed exposed down that side all game, he was at fault for their first goal, and he reverted to doing a poor imitation of a hunt for.much of the second half, lumping it long and inviting pressure back on. I was thinking he was making Hunt look almost decent. I wish Vyner could get some consistency going because he could be quality, but he isn’t there yet and its looking to me like we need a loan rb to give us a bit more solidity and a bit more also going forward. Contrast with JD on the other side and it’s chalk and cheese. 

19 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Were you watching on the radio? True, he didn’t get much help, but we looked exposed exposed down that side all game, he was at fault for their first goal, and he reverted to doing a poor imitation of a hunt for.much of the second half, lumping it long and inviting pressure back on. I was thinking he was making Hunt look almost decent. I wish Vyner could get some consistency going because he could be quality, but he isn’t there yet and its looking to me like we need a loan rb to give us a bit more solidity and a bit more also going forward. Contrast with JD on the other side and it’s chalk and cheese. 

I think your preconceived bias is shining through ??‍♂️

Im not comparing to Jay Dasilva.

Would love to know how Alex Scott felt playing with DS behind him.  Some nice link ups in the opening half an hour, and lots of little points to where he wanted him.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well done Danny.

So not all….

However 

Exposed for the 2/1 is what some imply. But the ‘overload’ was pretty clear. It’s easy to pass inside the full back when you are three against two.  

He did ok and he’s not going to get dropped. 

Offered nothing coming forward and pace is slowly leaving him, but he was solid, full of shit housery and could setting a tone in training that will help the rest of the squad.

Pearson has huge constraints on him and is trying to work with whatever he can, however he can.

I thought he did well. The right did not defend as well as our left but that was about combinations not individuals. I am not convinced that our midfield and defence are operating well yet when we don’t have the ball. We defend well at the front but it becomes disjointed when the opposition is between the half way line and our box. Still, it’s early days so I suspect they will work it out.

As mentioned, a solid 6/10 

An upgrade on Vyner, and will hopefully grow with some confidence, worth noting he’s played very little football in 18 months- which explains his tiring late on, especially that lash at the ball late on when he had plenty of time to bring the ball down. 

All in all, he’s now made that spot his own from the current offerings.  

6 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

My memory is a little fuzzy but at the time I thought Alex Scott didn’t track his man as he ran beyond Simpson? 

Archived