IGNORED

Danny Simpson

Davefevs

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Both our full backs were poor last night. Identified as weakness's by all opposition so far. Ball knocked in behind them numerous times and we are turned then under pressure. 

Lack of positional sense and height.

I hope NP gets a RWB from somewhere and we can play with Pring as LWB on the other side.

Otherwise this will be an ongoing problem all season.

We have James Taylor in the u-23s who is excellent, certainly could have done no worse last night - IMO.

I honestly don’t think we are gonna go to a Back 3 / WB system….so if we are to get a full-back (unlikely) it will be a conventional full-back imho.  Last night I thought Simpson was fine….second Champ start of the season, thought he was fine v Reading too.  Others have said he talked Scott through the game.  He isn’t gonna bomb forward, he’s not an expansive ball-player…but a steady-Eddie at this point in his career.  He’s a short term playing option whilst giving dressing-room experience and know-how.

By next summer (maybe even January) I’m sure Nige will know whether Zak can fill the void long term, and can adjust recruitment accordingly.

Its clear we have no money, Nige wants a striker first….he can’t have one.  As fans we need to get our heads around that and see how the RB position pans out over the next month or so…and then decide whether it’s a problem area or not.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think we are gonna go to a Back 3 / WB system….so if we are to get a full-back (unlikely) it will be a conventional full-back imho.  Last night I thought Simpson was fine….second Champ start of the season, thought he was fine v Reading too.  Others have said he talked Scott through the game.  He isn’t gonna bomb forward, he’s not an expansive ball-player…but a steady-Eddie at this point in his career.  He’s a short term playing option whilst giving dressing-room experience and know-how.

By next summer (maybe even January) I’m sure Nige will know whether Zak can fill the void long term, and can adjust recruitment accordingly.

Its clear we have no money, Nige wants a striker first….he can’t have one.  As fans we need to get our heads around that and see how the RB position pans out over the next month or so…and then decide whether it’s a problem area or not.

Agree with you @Davefevs we have bigger issues than RB, further up the pitch.

7 minutes ago, redsocks said:

I think homer Simpson could do better.we need to get rid and get a proper right back in one who's not past his sale bye date.of course we had one in hunt.doing ok at Sheffield wed.

Money / Finances.

Its quite possible that the first choice RB is Vyner, we just need to see how things play out.

It doesn't make much sense to me, replace Hunt with Simpson but I guess no one knows the true story. I seem to remember Jack Hunt's form went down hill so maybe that's a factor unless we're getting Sessingnon back on loan which seems unlikely as his parent club's in the same league.

1 minute ago, Swede said:

It doesn't make much sense to me, replace Hunt with Simpson but I guess no one knows the true story. I seem to remember Jack Hunt's form went down hill so maybe that's a factor unless we're getting Sessingnon back on loan which seems unlikely as his parent club's in the same league.

Sorry but Simpson has a winners medal from the Premiership.  He's got a pedigree and top level experience.  

What exactly has Jack Hunt ever done?

Just now, The Bard said:

Sorry but Simpson has a winners medal from the Premiership.  He's got a pedigree and top level experience.  

What exactly has Jack Hunt ever done?

He may have a winners medal from a few years ago but fast forward to the present time and with him in his thirties he has replaced a solid Championship right back who can also be an attacking threat. We don't have that with Simpson. Don't get me wrong Jack Hunt wasn't perfect but in my view we're now weaker in that position.

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

He may have a winners medal from a few years ago but fast forward to the present time and with him in his thirties he has replaced a solid Championship right back who can also be an attacking threat. We don't have that with Simpson. Don't get me wrong Jack Hunt wasn't perfect but in my view we're now weaker in that position.

Sorry I disagree.  Simpson is a better right back because he is a better defender.  Hunt was a continual weak point defensively. 

I suspect wages played a huge part.  Maybe contract length.  That might sound weird as Simpson and Hunt both signed 1+1 deals.  In Hunt’s case he’s probably willing to accept the risk of going back home knowing that at the end of this season if Wednesday don’t exercise their option he’s got a whole host of clubs on his Yorkshire doorstep.  He’s moved his family back home and that’s pretty important to him judging by what a few people have said.

With all these things let’s judge at end of September, we will be 10 league games in, have played a mix of opponents and know if RB is an issue to worry about or not.

Strange divisive topic.

Danny Simpson is a credible, solid championship right-back.

His age and history makes this more complicated than it should be:

Best in his position, in the club, right now: Thats it.

In my opinion also, better than Jack Hunt, who did a very good job of looking interested but offering little.

Simpson appears to be the better option of the two, but the RB position is our weakest area of the pitch. IMO I don’t think Vyner is a RB, but he isn’t going to get in at CB unless Kalas and Baker get hit by the same bus (note I would also feel sorry for the bus). 
I think our only chance of getting a RB in before the window shuts is if we get a reasonable sum for Nagy, Brownhill gets a move to Leeds enabling us to get a sell on, Nige gets the striker he seems to want, maybe even another wide forward, and there’s money left over. In that order. Very unlikely anything changes in that position until Jan unfortunately IMO 

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Some of his positioning and dark arts were first class. Pace gone for sure but there are aspects of his game miles ahead of what we are used to. Zak needs to learn fast. I get why fans not convinced but there is a lot to observe too. We are going 4 at the back , so in time we will need two new players if Zak does not step up , and I doubt jay is physically able to be a LB in a back 4 . But the boss knows this , we just cannot do it all right now, though Pring impresses . 

simpson 4 years past his best but his best is miles higher than we have been. If he can pass on knowledge and experience it will benefit the club. He is a stop gap . IMHO we will sign a LB andvRB next summer 

It's the dark arts that convinced me he was good enough (by no means perfect). He blocked (and put on his arse) a Swansea players in front of the Dolman in Swansea's own half while Swansea were breaking the other side of the pitch.

You don't have to run fast if the players lying on the floor for the next 30 seconds wondering what just happened. Taking attacking players out early means less pressure on the defence overall as well and without an outlet that attack soon broke down. 

14 hours ago, Swede said:

Based on what I have seen Jack Hunt is levels above Simpson.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect wages played a huge part.  Maybe contract length.  That might sound weird as Simpson and Hunt both signed 1+1 deals.  In Hunt’s case he’s probably willing to accept the risk of going back home knowing that at the end of this season if Wednesday don’t exercise their option he’s got a whole host of clubs on his Yorkshire doorstep.  He’s moved his family back home and that’s pretty important to him judging by what a few people have said.

With all these things let’s judge at end of September, we will be 10 league games in, have played a mix of opponents and know if RB is an issue to worry about or not.

My hunch is whatever we all might think, NP just simply didn’t rate Hunt, so no contract offer was ever made to him.

There was a point made during one of the many dismal displays with no fans where Pearson was heard telling Hunt to speed the game up & was clearly frustrated that he didn’t do so.

I also expect the terms Simpson has accepted were considerably lower than Hunt was on last season, meaning another reduction in the wage bill.

As for Simpson he was poor pre season v Villa & is obviously slowing down, but is nowhere near as bad as some are claiming, as others have said he is clever at giving the attacker just enough physical contact not to be penalised but to put him off, is experienced enough to get away with stuff on the blindside of the officials or off the ball & at times linked up well with Scott.

This is a big test for Zak Vyner, due to injury he was virtually an automatic choice at CB last season, but this he is already the back up RB, so he needs to show NP he has what it takes when the inevitable opportunities occur.

Is Hunt vs Simpson at risk of becoming the most divisive ‘who was best/worst’ since Halliday vs Phillipson-Masters (which in fairness, before the Forbes P-M zealots pile in, don’t think was ever a thing)? 

I have Hunt alongside Paterson as offering incredibly little, for a long time. The occasional decent cross seemed to be the sum of his contributions, borderline Brian Mitchell-esque defensively. 

With four at the back positional nous counts for a lot. Don’t mind if legs gone, if generally in the right place at the right time. With more money, I’m sure NP would like someone better, but not high on the list of priorities in my view.

On 20/08/2021 at 22:07, keflav said:

Reading some of the comments on here I just wonder why most of them even bother supporting city...

Yes we lack the cutting edge up front but we all know that and the manager knows that and unless we get someone in that ain't gonna change anytime soon, but at worst we deserved a point from that game and was a massive improvement from some of the utter shit we have had to put up with in recent times...

On 21/08/2021 at 00:13, SouthS22 said:

What are you talking about? I don’t deserve to support City because I’m not a lemming who will follow whatever our leader says without question and have blind faith despite no evidence to support it apart from some success 10 years ago?  Despite the fact that I’ve supported the team since I was a kid and live within a stones throw of the stadium? 

Why do we lack cutting edge and why the **** did we lose that game against a side who have a new manager, have not won a game this season and who are in turmoil?  I didn’t see a massive improvement, I saw the same old same old and the same result in that yet again we lost.  Very disappointing to say the least. 

I’m desperate for us to turn it around and yet we had a huge chance tonight and yet again we ****ed it up again. 

10 hours ago, Dredd said:

Simpson appears to be the better option of the two, but the RB position is our weakest area of the pitch. IMO I don’t think Vyner is a RB, but he isn’t going to get in at CB unless Kalas and Baker get hit by the same bus (note I would also feel sorry for the bus). 
I think our only chance of getting a RB in before the window shuts is if we get a reasonable sum for Nagy, Brownhill gets a move to Leeds enabling us to get a sell on, Nige gets the striker he seems to want, maybe even another wide forward, and there’s money left over. In that order. Very unlikely anything changes in that position until Jan unfortunately IMO 

Agree with nearly all of that.  Best of two poor options unless Vyner can stop repeatedly making critical mistakes.  I’m still hoping he’ll come good somewhere on the pitch because he seems to have massive potential, but I have been hoping that now for the last 2 years at least and those mistakes keep coming. I’m also not sure where on the pitch that somewhere is - we really need him to be a good RB unless we can get a loan in, but I don’t know whether that’s his position.  Seems to  be jack of a number of trades and as yet master of none. 

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Jesus you evil bastard Nicky Hunt was garbage and supposed to be in his prime.  Simpson is OK and was awesome in his prime, hense he's great to have about to being on younger players. 

Hunt was miles past his best! Our youngsters will learn nothing from Simpson.

18 minutes ago, Super said:

What makes you say that?

Comes across as a good pro

Played over 400 games of which 250 odd in the prem

So apart from his off field problems (which i would guess is your problem with him)

what makes you think they will learn nothing

12 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

What makes you say that?

Comes across as a good pro

Played over 400 games of which 250 odd in the prem

So apart from his off field problems (which i would guess is your problem with him)

what makes you think they will learn nothing

My problem is with him being not very good. We all know what kind of person he is.

13 hours ago, Super said:

Young players can learn lots from seasoned and experienced pros. Even little subtle "professional" tips like how to wind down the clock. Simpson has been around successful sides for most of his career - he will have a lot of value he can share.

RB is a problematic position for us though. We're running out of time but I'd really like to see us strengthen there if we can. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Young players can learn lots from seasoned and experienced pros. Even little subtle "professional" tips like how to wind down the clock. Simpson has been around successful sides for most of his career - he will have a lot of value he can share.

RB is a problematic position for us though. We're running out of time but I'd really like to see us strengthen there if we can. 

We always seem to bring in decent central defenders but the right back position seems to be an impossible one for us over a lot of years. Bizarre.

13 minutes ago, Super said:

We always seem to bring in decent central defenders but the right back position seems to be an impossible one for us over a lot of years. Bizarre.

We've consistently recruited well for left back too.

I thought Hunt would be a really good signing when he joined. He was fine, just not as good as I thought he would be. RB has been a troublesome position for us since about 2015 really. Mark Little was fine for L1 but not quite Championship level. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We've consistently recruited well for left back too.

I thought Hunt would be a really good signing when he joined. He was fine, just not as good as I thought he would be. RB has been a troublesome position for us since about 2015 really. Mark Little was fine for L1 but not quite Championship level. 

It's an odd thing as far back as I can remember ever since Martin Scott we have had decent left backs,  very few bad eggs.  But right backs I cant remember that many outstanding ones in recent years at least.

Simpson was OK other night, thing is we all expect (hopefully) that our full backs will be brilliant defensively and at the same time  become some marauding winger when going forward.... perhaps the 'bar' is set too high in fans mindsets.  Simpson is solid.  what's in front of him counts a lot as well.

I suspect Zak will become a sort of understudy to Simpson.  Thats where my reservations are as I have seen little over the years to suggest ZV will become a quality full back at Championship level.. I think he's below that level.  Time will tell us.  Strange over the years always done pretty well at LB..some great player in the likes Mickey BELL, Bryan and so on. 

If you had a time machine for the last 40 years who would you go get from past City line ups  and drop into the right back slot now ?? 

3 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Simpson was OK other night, thing is we all expect (hopefully) that our full backs will be brilliant defensively and at the same time  become some marauding winger when going forward.... perhaps the 'bar' is set too high in fans mindsets.  Simpson is solid.  what's in front of him counts a lot as well.

I suspect Zak will become a sort of understudy to Simpson.  Thats where my reservations are as I have seen little over the years to suggest ZV will become a quality full back at Championship level.. I think he's below that level.  Time will tell us.  Strange over the years always done pretty well at LB..some great player in the likes Mickey BELL, Bryan and so on. 

If you had a time machine for the last 40 years who would you go get from past City line ups  and drop into the right back slot now ?? 

I'd potentially say Ayling. I know he primarily played CB for us, but he was a great player. Especially now as he's improved even more under Bielsa.

Such a shame we let him leave. If the rumours are to be believed that the decision was made at board level post-Cheltenham that's even more of a shame.

We’ve had some terrible right backs (Nicky Hunt and Brian Mitchell spring to mind) but also some very good ones. I can’t believe we let Ayling go so easily. Bradley Orr transformed from an iffy midfielder into a very decent right back. Going further back, Adam Locke was class. 

I’ve not seen enough of Simpson yet to form an opinion on him. 

It’s a crunch season for Vyner in terms of kicking on and establishing himself. 

Archived