IGNORED

Danny Simpson

Davefevs

26 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Simpson was OK other night, thing is we all expect (hopefully) that our full backs will be brilliant defensively and at the same time  become some marauding winger when going forward.... perhaps the 'bar' is set too high in fans mindsets.  Simpson is solid.  what's in front of him counts a lot as well.

I suspect Zak will become a sort of understudy to Simpson.  Thats where my reservations are as I have seen little over the years to suggest ZV will become a quality full back at Championship level.. I think he's below that level.  Time will tell us.  Strange over the years always done pretty well at LB..some great player in the likes Mickey BELL, Bryan and so on. 

If you had a time machine for the last 40 years who would you go get from past City line ups  and drop into the right back slot now ?? 

Like you say we've had an abundance of quality left backs. The best right back I think was Brian Burrows on loan from Coventry, he only played about 5 games but was absolute quality. The worst is a toss up between Brian Mitchell, Nicky Hunt and Marvin Harriott.

36 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Simpson was OK other night, thing is we all expect (hopefully) that our full backs will be brilliant defensively and at the same time  become some marauding winger when going forward.... perhaps the 'bar' is set too high in fans mindsets.  Simpson is solid.  what's in front of him counts a lot as well.

I suspect Zak will become a sort of understudy to Simpson.  Thats where my reservations are as I have seen little over the years to suggest ZV will become a quality full back at Championship level.. I think he's below that level.  Time will tell us.  Strange over the years always done pretty well at LB..some great player in the likes Mickey BELL, Bryan and so on. 

If you had a time machine for the last 40 years who would you go get from past City line ups  and drop into the right back slot now ?? 

Andy Llewellyn 

I totally agree with you re Simpson. Too many pre conceived ideas on this forum about him. In a back four he will do a solid job (don't forget this is a three year project and we can't replace a whole team in one go).

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Andy Llewellyn 

I totally agree with you re Simpson. Too many pre conceived ideas on this forum about him. In a back four he will do a solid job (don't forget this is a three year project and we can't replace a whole team in one go).

I see Simpson as a stop gap. He already knew the club, Pearson knew him and trusted him and (most of all) there was no transfer fee involved. 
This year seems some consolidation with the team, reorganisation of the medical and fitness staff and get us into a good position to kick on when things return to "normal". 

The football related income may have returned, to a point, but the off field income has also been hit. I think the business will take a while to get back to pre-COVID levels, if they ever do, that will impact on our ability to spend. I think it will take some very good wheeling and dealing and Pearson doing some very good financial juggling , and that will take time.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Andy Llewellyn 

I had forgotten about AL. yes good quality at lower levels and always gave 100% plus.

A name no one has mentioned is Stuart Munro who was with us 3 seasons and was RB that great night at Anfield and team mates Tins. Played at highest level in Scotland with Rangers and European nights etc.  As always at our level we can only attract players like that in the twilight of there careers…not at the prime.  
out of interest he emigrated to Australia and played and now manages some rather strange sounding Aussie teams..

5 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I had forgotten about AL. yes good quality at lower levels and always gave 100% plus.

A name no one has mentioned is Stuart Munro who was with us 3 seasons and was RB that great night at Anfield and team mates Tins. Played at highest level in Scotland with Rangers and European nights etc.  As always at our level we can only attract players like that in the twilight of there careers…not at the prime.  
out of interest he emigrated to Australia and played and now manages some rather strange sounding Aussie teams..

Munro was excellent, he was really naturally a LB but we already had the brilliant Martin Scott there.

Osman picked Munro up on a free & Mark Shail for £75k, the football might have been dull but he could certainly spot a good defender.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Munro was excellent, he was really naturally a LB but we already had the brilliant Martin Scott there.

Osman picked Munro up on a free & Mark Shail for £75k, the football might have been dull but he could certainly spot a good defender.

good recall there ?  never realised he was LHS always recalled him RHS, but that again is another brilliant LB we had in Martin Scott.. quite odd we had so many that side of the pitch that seem to roll of the tongue.  and we struggle with RBs  

11 hours ago, Elruliri said:

Like you say we've had an abundance of quality left backs. The best right back I think was Brian Burrows on loan from Coventry, he only played about 5 games but was absolute quality. The worst is a toss up between Brian Mitchell, Nicky Hunt and Marvin Harriott.

Is Lavin up there with worst? My only memory is him booting it at a supporter, I think Reading? And breaking his wrist! 

9 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Remember him. Just had a look at his wiki and looks like he was assistant manager at Perth glory when I lived there and watched glory play sometime. Terrible standard! 

10 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Blimey, yes, Munro!!! He was a good, solid right back. 

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

Is Lavin up there with worst? My only memory is him booting it at a supporter, I think Reading? And breaking his wrist! 

Lavin is definitely up there with the worst. What an awful debut  at Reading. 

Jamie Smith and Richard Foster are others in the “not so good” category. And Mark Wilson (shudder). 

For balance, Ryan McGivern was a shockingly bad left back  

Archived