IGNORED

Who could Pearson possibly be talking about ?

Major Isewater

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

‘The ones who are miserable and grumpy, when they get a chance they won’t take it, will they? So tough on them. It’s more important that the team ethic shines through’

I suspect it’s Nahki.

Is it useful to attack certain players or is it just a way to try to motivate them to perform better?

Yes, I was wondering that…but he did seem positive about being captain for the FGR game, tweeted about how proud he was. Could be anyone…:dunno: 

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

‘The ones who are miserable and grumpy, when they get a chance they won’t take it, will they? So tough on them. It’s more important that the team ethic shines through’

I suspect it’s Nahki.

Is it useful to attack certain players or is it just a way to try to motivate them to perform better?

The ones not getting any game time, I guess.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, I was wondering that…but he did seem positive about being captain for the FGR game, tweeted about how proud he was. Could be anyone…:dunno: 

One swallow and all that.

I think it’s more general. As Vince Lombardi once said ‘winning is an all the time thing’

21 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I suspect people like Hunt and Patterson. 

I suspect they won’t be getting any game time for us this season….

He was talking in the present tense, so I think you have to look at those who were given chances and didn’t take them. That feels very Wells and Nagy vs FGR - if you remember post that game, NP went out of his way to praise Kalas. HNM also played in that game and has forced his way in.

Re Wells; I'm thinking that him not playing is Pearson showing two things:

1. There is no automatic starting positions, you have to earn it.

2. Possibly hoping to tempt someone to come in and put an offer on the table for him as he is "out of favour".

High earners playing well is one thing (Kalas) but high earners not producing much (Wells) can just go to free up some much needed capital.

I still say play Wells through the middle with the right players around him and he'll start scoring for fun though... 

30 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Good interview that.

Fair play to baker and all.

Yep, Nige certainly knows how to man manage. His subtle innuendos regarding players attitudes during interviews are very well done.

I really like his interviews, says far less that previous managers (the Johnsons in particular) but simply says it as it is.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I suspect they won’t be getting any game time for us this season….

He was talking in the present tense, so I think you have to look at those who were given chances and didn’t take them. That feels very Wells and Nagy vs FGR - if you remember post that game, NP went out of his way to praise Kalas. HNM also played in that game and has forced his way in.

On RB he mentioned that the atmosphere amongst the players was much better than last year

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

A natural goal scorer for sure, but at what cost to the team ethic?

Very good point. 

IF he is one of the causes of fractures within the squad, then he needs to go. However with that being said, is there anything confirmed from anywhere, or just people putting 1 + 1 together and getting 3?

QPR couldn't afford to keep him when we got him, has that changed now, and would they want him back?

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yep, Nige certainly knows how to man manage. His subtle innuendos regarding players attitudes during interviews are very well done.

I really like his interviews, says far less that previous managers (the Johnsons in particular) but simply says it as it is.

I’m not sure you know what innuendo means sugar tits

I find his interviews really interesting. He gives clues about how he likes to man-manage certain players as individuals.

From that interview it's clear that Massengo and Pring are motivated by praise (notice how he didn't single out Massengo for his arguable error in one of the Reading goals) and made a very big deal of Pring. He also tried to downplay Scott slightly, reading between the lines that suggests that Scott may be motivated by trying to prove people wrong - to be expected for someone of his ability. I also thought his comments on Baker were interesting too, praising his "can do" attitude.

He doesn't tend to negatively single out players. It's clear there's a few he feels are sulking or unhappy with the selection policy.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I suspect it’s Nahki.

Bit of a wild assumption, could quite easily be anyone not starting at the moment

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I suspect it’s Nahki.

Generalisation I think. Major.

Just now, SecretSam said:

Whoever it is, the player will know that it's him.

Interesting the comments from @Phileas Fogg about man-management - if that's the case (not listened to the interview) then it's very astute

Well worth the 5 min watch.

Just my interpretation though - may be reading into it far too much but I thought it was pretty telling which players he picked out and the way he chose to talk about them. It was most clear when talking about Pring I felt. He really praised him and his attitude 

I also liked how he mentioned we’ve not been working on long throws and Kalas took it upon himself to put the throws in, however I was told Alex Ball mentioned on Robins TV that he mentioned they have been working on it in training and it’s nice it paid off, bit strange that Nige didn’t take praise on this as something that worked from a training session and he gave praise to Kalas. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I find his interviews really interesting. He gives clues about how he likes to man-manage certain players as individuals.

From that interview it's clear that Massengo and Pring are motivated by praise (notice how he didn't single out Massengo for his arguable error in one of the Reading goals) and made a very big deal of Pring. He also tried to downplay Scott slightly, reading between the lines that suggests that Scott may be motivated by trying to prove people wrong - to be expected for someone of his ability. I also thought his comments on Baker were interesting too, praising his "can do" attitude.

He doesn't tend to negatively single out players. It's clear there's a few he feels are sulking or unhappy with the selection policy.

I agree with the above, maybe we are looking too much into it  but I'd like to think its astute management.

I think the big thing with Pearson's interviews that maybe we haven't had with previous managers is I have no doubt any players mentioned/referenced negatively know exactly who they are and have been told this in person so it becomes no shock to them. I know certain players have been singled out in the past by previous managers publicly but instead of talking direct to the player they've done media first and given them the cold shoulder afterwards, how is that going to help!?

I think the miserable players comment was also partly aimed at fans. (Not in a negative way.) Pearson seems very much aware as to what people are saying and who fans want to play e.g. Wells gets a lot of clamour to start. Think its a subtle message to fans clarifying why some players are featuring more than others and also what is expected from an individual who wants to start at this club.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Re Wells; I'm thinking that him not playing is Pearson showing two things:

1. There is no automatic starting positions, you have to earn it.

2. Possibly hoping to tempt someone to come in and put an offer on the table for him as he is "out of favour".

High earners playing well is one thing (Kalas) but high earners not producing much (Wells) can just go to free up some much needed capital.

I still say play Wells through the middle with the right players around him and he'll start scoring for fun though... 

if he played in the paris team he might score for fun, but for us, not much chance

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I do love our current love in with NP! 14 or 15 games without a win and then a single victory means we have all these positive posts. Cant remember that happening for a while

I wont knock it as i like positivity towards our management so keep it going 'Nige' (!!) and fellow OTIB fnas

I'm genuinely a bit confused about what your point is here - what are you saying exactly? It's like you were making a point and then changed your mind mid-post!

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

‘The ones who are miserable and grumpy, when they get a chance they won’t take it, will they? 

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he's talking about Wells

Fancy singling out towns. I have been there only once but I think one local person was friendly and not grumpy.

7 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I do love our current love in with NP! 14 or 15 games without a win and then a single victory means we have all these positive posts. Cant remember that happening for a while

I wont knock it as i like positivity towards our management so keep it going 'Nige' (!!) and fellow OTIB fnas

We still counting last season?

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

To me it's someone who played vs FGR or was dropped following Middlesbrough. Cant work out who. However worth checking any underlying MH stuff if the player, players in question are grunpy and moody. Could be a million reasons behind that. 

Vyner maybe?? 

The only thing with Vyner is he won't have had much of a chance to respond to being dropped yet, and certainly won't have not taken a chance as none will have come. 

I reckon there's a few possibilities in terms of players who featured against FGR but haven't been involved since. Not going to name names as I'm pretty much speculating without a basis but I reckon there's three it could reasonably likely be. 

26 minutes ago, redpole said:

I also liked how he mentioned we’ve not been working on long throws and Kalas took it upon himself to put the throws in, however I was told Alex Ball mentioned on Robins TV that he mentioned they have been working on it in training and it’s nice it paid off, bit strange that Nige didn’t take praise on this as something that worked from a training session and he gave praise to Kalas. 

he's deflecting praise on to the player in order to boost confidence, its a good management trick 

Archived