IGNORED

What was different last night?

Top Robin

I was at the game and am trying to work out what was tangibly different which gave us a win.

Did we just get the lucky breaks which we hadn't before, were players just trying harder and playing better or was it the shape and personnel change which did it.

Probably a mixture of all. 

It was the first team I’d seen us this season (via Robins TV), as I was on holiday for the Blackpool/FGR games & Boro was my birthday, though I wouldn’t have traveled.

My impressions were that we worked hard, pressed more & were fitter, though I did still think we were a bit too open at times.

Bringing back Kalas clearly helped & Atkinson did well, having 2 older heads in midfield, Weimann’s incredible work ethic & Martin as a focal point were all plusses, Pring should be very proud of his debut & Scott is a real talent.

With the run we’ve been on I wouldn’t have been shocked by a late equaliser but we held firm & hopefully this is the start of a few more.

I also thought the ref was very good, not influenced by their theatrics or constant moaning from their obnoxious coach.

The point above about set pieces is spot on.

Quick passing, direct, pressing, not over complicating things.

Everything we haven't been for 18 months

I love the James and King duo in Midfield. I know King hasn't had much appraisal by City fans yet but he really keeps us ticking with James doing the physical work in there. They'll make a big impact at the club this season I think

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It was the first team I’d seen us this season (via Robins TV), as I was on holiday for the Blackpool/FGR games & Boro was my birthday, though I wouldn’t have traveled.

My impressions were that we worked hard, pressed more & were fitter, though I did still think we were a bit too open at times.

Bringing back Kalas clearly helped & Atkinson did well, having 2 older heads in midfield, Weimann’s incredible work ethic & Martin as a focal point were all plusses, Pring should be very proud of his debut & Scott is a real talent.

With the run we’ve been on I wouldn’t have been shocked by a late equaliser but we held firm & hopefully this is the start of a few more.

I also thought the ref was very good, not influenced by their theatrics or constant moaning from their obnoxious coach.

The point above about set pieces is spot on.

All of the above, plus as an attacking threat, Reading had Meite, Ejaria and Joao all out injured.

Thankfully we took our chances last night.

3 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

To keep it very simple I would say a combination of Pring giving us some width, Weimann being further forward, Kalas starting and James/King and Massengo when he came on giving us a solid base.

I though that as well...specially the width and Weimann further forward

The first thing I noticed was how much we were pressing, I think Pring and AW were pressing very well which sorta encouraged the others to follow. 

It was like they knew the pressing would work and they'd catch the ball, probably NP stressed the importantance of pressing Vs that Reading side. 

43 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I was at the game and am trying to work out what was tangibly different which gave us a win.

Did we just get the lucky breaks which we hadn't before, were players just trying harder and playing better or was it the shape and personnel change which did it.

A number of key things:

1) Weimann played central in support of Martin, instead of the right flank where he is frankly a poor option

2) Pring played left flank, where he offered width and combined well with Dasilva

3) Kalas back in Central Defence, where he play well with Atkinson

4) Simpson in place of Vyner at RB

5) Good pressing throughout

The first time we have looked well coached, organised, energetic, focused and positive since NP arrived.

Very pleasantly surprised and proves the players are not actually that bad after all.

Hopefully the corner is turned and this is the new norm.

Is NP trying to turn us into a Leeds"esque" type team ? Fun times ahead if he is.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Mixture I think. I get the impression there's a fair few average/poor sides in this league. Us included if we're being honest about it. On any given day any of them could beat anyone and it wouldn't take much for any of them to get dragged into a relegation fight. Likewise with a bit of luck/consistency any of those sides could find themselves pushing for the playoffs. Should be quite an entertaining league this season. 

I do think there are some noticeable differences in the side post last season apart from that though. 

We look fitter, more aggressive and more combative. Our game plan is far more visible and the players seem much more aware of their roles. We're much better from crosses/set pieces and this suits players like Chris Martin.

Weimann coming back and finding his match fitness probably helped. On his day he can be one of the best attackers in the league, we really missed him last season. 

Good and consisent pressing helped us to get the quick start, two fairly early goals.

Weimann more central yet off the front- would like to see more of that.

That in turn probably helped Martin, left him less isolated etc- goal and assist for him.

When all fit for some games maybe we try:

Scott Weimann Semenyo

Martin

I also believe there could be potential for Wells to thrive with that 3 behind. Wells and Weimannn have linked before, notably away to Middlesbrough under Holden.

The framework should be there but plenty of scope to tweak personnel within.

Then you have a base...King and James but with Massengo and Williams when fit as options that can keep them honest. Bakinson has attributes and Nagy okay he has submitted a transfer request but he's one we never saw the best of for long enough IMO.

One other bit that struck me, quick start etc.

I remember watching some footage at the end of last season. When Leicester made their great escape under him in 2015, they were quite high tempo and got a few early goals- crowd and team fed off each other.

Not comparing man for man as such, but was hoping we might see a bit more of it. Think last night we saw signs of that style, for the first time in a while in the League- would the 3 up in no time at Middlesbrough in Feb be the equivalent? Luton at home first half maybe?

I imagine that we’re going to be low on possession most games, especially away from home, but we seemed to attack with purpose last night. For the most part I thought the shape was good. Weimann and his work rate made the difference for me. Even in 90+ minutes he was still chasing and closing down intelligently. He’s been missed and we couldn’t play like that without him.

28 minutes ago, Magicdaps said:

I thought there was an increased intensity and more organised nature to the press.  I think this was also helped by AW playing more centrally and slightly withdrawn from Martin.

Agree. We were a lot more of a threat having AW playing off Martin more centrally , adding to the press he seemed to be more of a trigger for our midfield to press as well

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

My simple analysis was

1) We were at it from the first minute until they scored. 

2) The energy levels are better.

3) We actually look like we can pass the ball quite well now even when we are pressed.

This is what I noticed, particularly point 3. A bit more composure than I've been used to seeing from us

Another point is that we might try and play out occasionally from the back, when Bents releases the ball, but generally it is now a 'Kick it and Hope It Goes Where I Want It' strategy. Last night, Bents kicked more than play it out from the box.

It did my head in seeing City under LJ etc try to play pat a cake with the ball only to either lose it or pass it back to the keeper. 

At least with hoofing it forward, we are doing just that...getting nearer the away goal and relieving pressure on our defence for a few seconds. 

Maybe somebody has a stat or two to show how many goals we have scored from a goalie kicking it in the air to half way line and beyond (throwing included but obviously not from a goal kick) and passing it to a full back. Conversely, there must be stats as to how many goals were let in from the 2 keeper options.

Certainly from my personal stress levels, I prefer the Kick it and Hope option the vast majority of times.

We attacked from the first whistle. No sideways passing along the back four - instead move the ball early and quickly and actually run at the opposition with intent.

So much better to see. Thoroughly fed up of the negative sideways football we endured on telly during lockdown. 

Think crowds returning has re-introduced the emotion to football. Can only be a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I thought Wiemann thru the middle and Pring on the left made us look far more balanced, Kalas was really influential as well. Overall I thought the tempo was the best for ages

Talking of the tempo, I had quick stat check.

As we remember, 2 up in 14 mins- indeed in that time we had 3 shots/attempts- excellent conversion rate but overall added to what I said about Leicester and their fast starts in the relegation run-in when I looked at some footage, let's hope that is a bit of a building block moving forwards.

Still got loads to do of course, I'd like to see us keep the ball better late on for example, to ease some pressure- as NP said to the corner but retention elsewhere can also take the sting out of it, quieten the crowd a little late on.

11 shots to 8 overall in their favour, but in that last 15 or so plus stoppage time it was 7-3 in their favour...that's including the goal. We saw it out but we got too deep- the 3 came from the breakaway where Palmer hit the post, had a shot blocked and Weimann's effort was saved/at the keeper.

5 shots on target, that's good to see.

Archived