IGNORED

QPR Away allocation

Norn Iron

I'm flying over for this game and will need 4 tickets.

What is the usual away fan following for QPR? Have previous visits been all ticket? 

I'm happy to wait but I like to have all the i's dotted and T's crossed before arriving to a ground. I know sitting with the natives is option but....

I think we usually get 2,000(ish) if full allocation. They usually divide tickets according to silver (restricted view) and gold (unrestricted) categories. The view isn't great no matter where you sit though. Despite this, it's a ground with loads of character, but crap facilities. 

5 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

I think we usually get 2,000(ish) if full allocation. They usually divide tickets according to silver (restricted view) and gold (unrestricted) categories. The view isn't great no matter where you sit though. Despite this, it's a ground with loads of character, but crap facilities. 

Thanks FC. I take it by restricted view you mean it would be akin to sitting in the Upper Williams in the old days with all the steelwork holding up the roof?

23 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks FC. I take it by restricted view you mean it would be akin to sitting in the Upper Williams in the old days with all the steelwork holding up the roof?

That's it - as I recall 'restricted' is tucked in a corner where there are bits of the corners of the pitch completely hidden behind a pillar.

Generally the view is awful unless you are in the front row (which I never have been!). Usually a good turn out and a good atmosphere.

I have to say QPR is one of my favourite away games. Oddly enough I even like the ground. Yes the leg room is rubbish and the view can be terrible but it feels like I’m almost on the pitch.

In the ground I’m transported back to Loftus Road of the 7O,s and as a boy again watching the big match on a Sunday. The wonderful  Brian Moore commentating and watching likes of Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis and others weave there magic.

Maybe a little nostalgic but football seemed simpler back then. Back to reality and hope we enjoy a good away day with 3 points.

14 minutes ago, canmore red said:

I have to say QPR is one of my favourite away games. Oddly enough I even like the ground. Yes the leg room is rubbish and the view can be terrible but it feels like I’m almost on the pitch.

In the ground I’m transported back to Loftus Road of the 7O,s and as a boy again watching the big match on a Sunday. The wonderful  Brian Moore commentating and watching likes of Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis and others weave there magic.

Maybe a little nostalgic but football seemed simpler back then. Back to reality and hope we enjoy a good away day with 3 points.

I always remember Sam Leitch presenting the Beeb's Football Focus on Saturday Lunchtime. The last match of the year (around 73-73) had Sam summing up the first half of the season. His final comment was about QPR and a clip from MOTD. A young teenager clambered over the wall because the ball was resting by it and there were only a few minutes left in the game. Nobody wanted to retrieve it.

The lad promptly took hold of the ball and promptly placed it in the quadrant of the corner.  I think it was Sam Bowles or Rodney Marsh that took the corner that heralded the goal to win the match. 

Sam was praising the lad's actions in getting the goal. 

I often wondered whatever happened to him. Maybe QPR gave him a signed programme!

Couldn't happen now....

24 minutes ago, canmore red said:

I went there years ago to watch a youth cup game as I was in the area for work, i was sat at the front of the main stand and had to lean foward to see what was happening if the ball was on the touchline my side. Standing up to go for a HT refreshment made me feel as if losing my balance would send down on to the pitch.

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I will happily give the School End a miss this time.  Whether you're in the lower tier (utterly dreadful) or upper tier (marginally better) it is a horrid ground barely an improvement on Luton's Kenilworth Road, the Championships worst ground. 

RoystonFN, how dare you say that about Kenilworth Rd..... although you're right!

Before moving back with my parents to their home 'town' of Bristol, I grew up watching LTFC standing in the Oak Road end.  That used to be the home stand, before they switched it around as they had put a roof over the Kenilworth Rd end!

Sat in the bottom tier last year, good atmosphere . The only problem is the concourse , can't get a beer and toilets are only accessible if you walk through the seats and past the bars.

The tickets depend on QPR, they don't always give both tiers apparently. We should get both if they sale the top one quickly, but no guarantee .

1 hour ago, canmore red said:

Funny enough QPR is my least fav away day. I’m giving it a swerve this year and saving my time and money to do another trip. We always take a good following there though, just because it’s London. 

If you’re in the upper tier, you’re so close to the pitch that you feel you can join in. The trouble is, the goal is underneath you rather than in front of you, so it’s a struggle to see goalmouth action at all, unless you’re literally in the front row.

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

It's like viewing a game from a Sopwith Camel !

Remember our away game at Bradford in the same season as their dreadful fire?

I took with me to read on coach 2 Simon Inglis' Football Grounds Of England And Wales. He didn't get specific enough for his biplane analogy. 

This is what he said...

A picture of that stand was also in the book. I was on the terrace for that game but it was a lot earlier in the season.

I'll post his review of Loftus Rd. The book was published in 1983. 

16293667986004197431981373586932.jpg

16293670625848156922268937371835.jpg

16293674332876572500206299186263.jpg

21 hours ago, Selred said:

Crap view, no leg room, overpriced.

I'll be there though! I'm a member and haven't had issues getting tickets in the past.

Yeh,tell me about it,paid£30, my seat was behind a pillar,asked a steward to move me,he said NO,left hand side of pitch blocked view by press box,

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a good away trip. My favourite in London is still Charlton. We always travel well there and their away end is perfect for atmosphere creation. Haven't ever been to Fulham mind you and that always looks fun. 

Especially on Boxing Days in the 80s, Phileas.  We could park for free alongside the Thames and amble in. The away end was open terrace and you had a view of the river as well. Doubt we could park for free nowadays.

8 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Remember our away game at Bradford in the same season as their dreadful fire?

I took with me to read on coach 2 Simon Inglis' Football Grounds Of England And Wales. He didn't get specific enough for his biplane analogy. 

This is what he said...

A picture of that stand was also in the book. I was on the terrace for that game but it was a lot earlier in the season.

I'll post his review of Loftus Rd. The book was published in 1983. 

16293667986004197431981373586932.jpg

16293670625848156922268937371835.jpg

16293674332876572500206299186263.jpg

The plagiarising git, I'll do him for that ! :boxing:

I used to have those books, probably where I heard it from !

Archived