IGNORED

What have you never done?

Bristol Rob

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Never been to USA - they refused me a visa…..

Any particular reason,or is that personal/embarrassing? ?

I only ask as, a few years ago, a young (female) relative of mine passed through California on her way to a working holiday in New Zealand with the intention of returning once she had earned enough money to enjoy herself in New York and Florida.

Although she had what was I believe a non time specific visa, i.e. she could (theoretically) enter any and several times without problem, she was refused entry upon arrival in LA, grilled for a few hours and even threatened with an intensive body search before she broke down in tears and was simply put on the next plane home - with no explanation as to why she had been refused entry.

• Admin
17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Any particular reason,or is that personal/embarrassing? ?

I only ask as, a few years ago, a young (female) relative of mine passed through California on her way to a working holiday in New Zealand with the intention of returning once she had earned enough money to enjoy herself in New York and Florida.

Although she had what was I believe a non time specific visa, i.e. she could (theoretically) enter any and several times without problem, she was refused entry upon arrival in LA, grilled for a few hours and even threatened with an intensive body search before she broke down in tears and was simply put on the next plane home - with no explanation as to why she had been refused entry.

Membership of an undesirable organisation was the reason they gave,  This was back in the early 80’s and I’ve never tried since….

On 20/08/2021 at 11:58, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suffered a similar situation to you (minor stroke) just over a year ago and, like you, needed to have an MRI.

I have suffered from vertigo for several years and am not a great fan of being trapped in a confined space - which is, effectively, what one endures during an MRI, although I was provided with an emergency panic button in case I needed it.

I was forewarned that it would be quite loud and, when I asked how long it was likely to last, was informed between five and ten minutes.

I acknowledged that my ordeal was a necessary ‘evil’ and just closed my eyes and tried counting slowly to 1000.

I assure you I came very close on several occasions to pressing the panic button, but resisted until it was over.

When I came out I just couldn’t believe what all the fuss and panic was about.

On 20/08/2021 at 12:53, Robbored said:

Same here only my stroke was 6 years ago. I had the same MRI but fortunately didn’t find it a problem.

I was lucky tho. The stroke I had was the real deal but fortunately I didn’t end up paralysed but lost my sight temporarily and ultimately it cost me my driving license as although my sight is fine I’m unable to get full vision.  My peripheral vision on my left is permanently damaged and DVLA revoked my license.

Since then I’ve been on various preventative medications.

On 20/08/2021 at 11:40, City oz said:

Have one of these. I had a minor stroke six months ago that stopped the blood flow to my right eye. Coming good now with medication. the docs said to rule out anything similar you need one of these (MRI) TRIED TO DO IT FIVE TIMES. Still can ot do it now and have nightmares of being enclosed in a very small space. 

Bristol Rob to others this might be a normal thing but not for me mate. I just hope that I did do it but can not do it. 

Image result for MRI Machines. Size: 144 x 98. Source: www.verywellhealth.com

Wow! It's great that on a thread that's supposed to be fun, it can suddenly get serious. I'm sure these 3 posts will encourage others with similar or different medical issues. Well done for your honesty. 

Meanwhile Robbored, you said in your post, "Same here only my stroke was 6 years ago. I had the same MRI". How do you know it was the same one that Phil used? Which hospital was it in France or maybe the MRI was transported to the nearest clinic to Nailsea? 

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Wow! It's great that on a thread that's supposed to be fun, it can suddenly get serious. I'm sure these 3 posts will encourage others with similar or different medical issues. Well done for your honesty. 

Meanwhile Robbored, you said in your post, "Same here only my stroke was 6 years ago. I had the same MRI". How do you know it was the same one that Phil used? Which hospital was it in France or maybe the MRI was transported to the nearest clinic to Nailsea? 

It was at the BRI…………..:cool2:

Every major hospitals have MRI scanners and pretty much the same design wherever you are. Essentially they’re hollow tubes that are fairly noisy and some find them claustrophobic and fretful because of the noise

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks for your nice response.

To be honest, I just wanted to contribute something relating to an unpleasant situation, and was torn between outlining my experiences of felching and my MRI scan.

I chose the least unpleasant.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Every major hospitals have MRI scanners and pretty much the same design wherever you are. Essentially they’re hollow tubes that are fairly noisy and some find them claustrophobic and fretful because of the noise

I was being pedantic making reference to you saying it was the same MRI! Similar more like!

Yep, I remember when they first came on the market. I always get mixed up between a CT and MRI scanner. I know one of them was developed and almost bankrupted EMI. If it hadn't been for the Beatles....ok slightly tenuous.

I thought I wasn't at all claustrophobic. However, due to a slipped disc issue, I have been in an MRI scanner. I agree, hitting the red button to escape was very tempting.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I've never kissed (or anything else) a black/Asian /ethnic girl ,and please don't play the racist card, just never got the opportunity !

I have had just the one experience, with a beautiful Japanese girl many years ago.

I was invited on a corporate trip to Tokyo and, on our first night out, I met said girl in a Karaoke bar - our hosts were were very keen to demonstrate their ability to sing western pop songs and drink whisky.

At the end of the evening my lovely Japanese friend came back to our hotel and, whilst she couldn’t speak a word of English - I most certainly couldn’t speak a word of Japanese - we sort of clicked and, eventually, I managed to persuade her to come back to my room.

Well, one thing led to another and, of course, we ended up making love.

Given the unfortunate  language barrier, there were very few ‘sweet mutterings’, more panting and grunts, until, at the moment of (my) climax, she screamed out something like ‘Yakima!’, which I obviously took to mean ‘Fantastic’, or similar.

Anyway, next day on the golf course with our hosts, the Karaoke star from the previous evening hits a wonderful putt and I congratulate him by saying Yakima!

Imagine my embarrassment, when he turned to me and said ‘What do you mean, wrong hole?’

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I've never kissed (or anything else) a black/Asian /ethnic girl ,and please don't play the racist card, just never got the opportunity !

Well…….being in nursing all my career I was surrounded by very attractive black/Asian and Filipino nurses and I snogged them all…..even had a 2 years relationship with a Malayan girl called Sally. I nearly married her………..:sweatingbullets:

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

There are a few different types mainly around the diameter of the tube. The tube length is around two meters long. The issue is when I lay on my back and my arms are trussed like a chicken and my nose only has about 2 inches to the top of the inner tube. 

The actually blew oxy in to the tube for me and gave me head phones. this was to make me assured I could breath and the noise of the machine could ne mitigated. It did not work even with sedatives.

It is  commonly known that 25% of people under going an MRI abort within the first two minutes or totally refuse as soon as they see the machine.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

There are a few different types mainly around the diameter of the tube. The tube length is around two meters long. The issue is when I lay on my back and my arms are trussed like a chicken and my nose only has about 2 inches to the top of the inner tube. 

The actually blew oxy in to the tube for me and gave me head

happy kenneth williams GIF

Archived