IGNORED

David James apology

phantom

• Admin

Interesting watching David James be interviewed on Sky sports news just now

He was asked about Gary Cahill dropping down to play in the Championship

He mentioned he was offered deals to stay in the Prem but was interested in joining us as there was no top flight side in the South West

But he admitted that he was not prepared physically to play for us, and underestimated the levels required

He actually stated that he apologised to any Bristol City fan watching for him not being 100% fit

David James just on SSN discussing Cahill going to Bournemouth.  DJ apologised to City fans for his time here, saying he wasn’t physically ready for the Championship. Came here when he had other offers in the prem and abroad but thought we had a real shot at the Prem and to be the first team in the South West to get there. All old news of course but found it interesting nonetheless as hadnt seen an apology before. 

EDIT wrong forum mods - apologies  please move to the main page

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i always liked james, he was decent enough but not consistent enough and always had a error in him that overshadowed any good performance he put in

That's the way I saw it too. But you kind of had the impression at the time he maybe felt privately that he was better than our level, so it's nice to hear he has held his hands up.

Just now, City Rocker said:

That's the way I saw it too. But you kind of had the impression at the time he maybe felt privately that he was better than our level, so it's nice to hear he has held his hands up.

He'd just come back from a World Cup (admittedly a shit one from England's perspective - but he kept 2 clean sheets) He probably did think he was better than us

Nearing 40 though, was always going to be on the decline

Interesting, he's always been quite a physically imposing figure, I always thought this was why he often tried coming for crosses he had no right to get to (and inevitably ballsed up).

I wonder what he meant by that? I recall it looked like his leg strength had gone, as he could barely make the halfway line with his goal kicks. 

I quite liked James - the only player in my lifetime to play for England whilst a Bristol City player. 

Fantastic shot-stopper who's efforts between the sticks grabbed us quite a few points - I remember watching him keep Forest out at Ashton Gate almost single-handedly. 
His 'Calamity' label was earned by his tendency to 'flap' at crosses - it's almost like he panicked when he actually had TIME to think, but would react instinctively when he didn't!

Just now, bcfcredandwhite said:

I quite liked James - the only player in my lifetime to play for England whilst a Bristol City player. 

Fantastic shot-stopper who's efforts between the sticks grabbed us quite a few points - I remember watching him keep Forest out at Ashton Gate almost single-handedly. 
His 'Calamity' label was earned by his tendency to 'flap' at crosses - it's almost like he panicked when he actually had TIME to think, but would react instinctively when he didn't!

Did he play for England while he was with us? I thought his last game was that World Cup immediately before signing…. I might be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Interesting, he's always been quite a physically imposing figure, I always thought this was why he often tried coming for crosses he had no right to get to (and inevitably ballsed up).

I wonder what he meant by that? I recall it looked like his leg strength had gone, as he could barely make the halfway line with his goal kicks. 

Yeah was unexpected.  He started laughing when the host compared Cahill’s move to his here and I thought ‘here we go - he’s going to make some excuse up’ - but no he was very candid and took responsibility and was evidently laughing as he was embarrassed by the comparison .  Odd given he’d just come from the Prem but would be interesting to know more about it and fair play to him for saying it 

I remember watching him warming up before a game at home and the goalie coach was out by the Dolman/Atyeo corner sending in crosses.

James overarm threw a ball out to him, but missed the trajectory and it went like a bullet into a seat about 8 does back and snapped the back in half. Bear in mind he was in the 6 yard box when he did it!

In a way his signing was the turning point for things eventually improving. Before then we were a bit of a weird club with no tangible long term plan and a reliance on luck + the odd marquee signing.

Since then - and the eventual relegation as a result of a few years mismanagement - we are far more sensibly run and prudent. In the long term we will be better off for it. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

In a weird way his signing was the turning point. Before then we were a bit of a weird club with no tangible long term plan and a reliance on luck + the odd marquee signing.

Since then - and the eventual relegation as a result of a few years mismanagement - we are far more sensibly run and prudent. In the long term we will be better off for it. 

Well… we were… but we’re sort of back in that category now again to a certain degree - overspending I mean. 

13 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Did he play for England while he was with us? I thought his last game was that World Cup immediately before signing…. I might be wrong. 

Correct. 

He signed for us whilst still "technically" England's number 1 though.

31 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i always liked james, he was decent enough but not consistent enough and always had a error in him that overshadowed any good performance he put in

The same throughout his career though, so at least he was consistent! 

Was never a huge fan of his, even before signing for us. That being said I do have a signed David James (and Danny Haynes) black goalkeeper shirt I got from ebay for about £3.50!

He never looked physically unfit to me, I think at that stage of his career there was always a fair risk it didn't work out. 

He will be known for the errors but he made some spectacular saves and a couple of penalties if I remember rightly. 

It raised the profile of the club at the time so I don't think it was money down the pan ... he went from playing behind the likes of Sol Campbell and John Terry to Liam Fontaine and Lewin Nyatanga ... so imagine it was quite a shock. 

No hard feelings. 

Archived