IGNORED

David James apology

phantom

57 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Well… we were… but we’re sort of back in that category now again to a certain degree - overspending I mean. 

A different type of spending though. Under Ashton/Johnson at least there was some sort of rationale behind it. It's very different to randomly buying David James, approaching Michael Owen, Emad Moteab, Peter Styvar etc.

7 minutes ago, Banned User said:

I remember a rumour he only trained twice a week due to bad knees. Anyone know if this was true?

Yeah, true. Drove up twice a week from Exeter.

He's apologising for not being fit but it wasn't through lack of effort.

In fact he was known as one of the most competitive athletes in football, hence his career lasted so long.

Often at City, if someone beat his time on the bike he'd stay behind for hours until he beat their time! Competitive to the point of being obsessive about it, apparently... 

Definitely had an ego on him mind. 

28 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I thought he joined us cause he  lived in exeter?

I wasnt aware it was because the south west ddnt have a top flight team.

Thats a new one on me for wanting to join us.

A admission of guilt for being a wage stealer.

He lived in Chudleigh, just to the SW of Princess Diana’s mum’s property if memory serves me right. More noteworthy the local Chinese had a photo on their wall of him being served. 

Met him in the local Tesco’s, hands the size of friggin dinner plates! 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Cider red said:

I remember him punching the ball in his own net vs Watford, not much else. Didn't help him we were a team in decline!!

Always classed that as the most important thing he did with us as he was dropped afterwards and we played better afterwards

Met him a few times and have to say he was a true professional, and always had time for a chat etc, top bloke

One thing that only a small handful would know about him, during his time with us he was "allegedly" visiting someone he shouldn't have been one evening and was rumbled by a MASSIVE news story that occured in Bristol - obviously not one for the forum....

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Fantastic shot-stopper who's efforts between the sticks grabbed us quite a few points - I remember watching him keep Forest out at Ashton Gate almost single-handedly. 
His 'Calamity' label was earned by his tendency to 'flap' at crosses - it's almost like he panicked when he actually had TIME to think, but would react instinctively when he didn't!

the very first game he played at the Gate, he blocked a shot and let the ball bounce off him striaght to their player, who gratefully slotted it in.

he did this a lot - never actually 'stopping' anything, more like getting in the way and having the ball bounce off him anywhere.

he never seemed to hold the damn ball.

50 minutes ago, RedRock said:

He lived in Chudleigh, just to the SW of Princess Diana’s mum’s property if memory serves me right. More noteworthy the local Chinese had a photo on their wall of him being served. 

He did indeed live in Chudleigh, I few miles south of Exeter past the racecourse 

I remember him being slightly petulant and on more than one occasion intentionally throwing or kicking the ball to nobody, then giving an exaggerated exasperated reaction a teammate wasn't there, seemingly to make a point. That's how it seemed to me anyway!

34 minutes ago, Antman said:

the very first game he played at the Gate, he blocked a shot and let the ball bounce off him striaght to their player, who gratefully slotted it in.

he did this a lot - never actually 'stopping' anything, more like getting in the way and having the ball bounce off him anywhere.

he never seemed to hold the damn ball.

Remember that well.

It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen a goalie do. He seemed to forget he was allowed to touch the ball and instead chested it straight into the path of an oncoming opponent 

The fact is if he had of been anywhere near the top of his game when he came to us then put simply ...he wouldn't have come to us! He would have been snapped up by lower half premier league club at the time. Think people need to be realistic in their comments and criticism of him. Yes he was a mixed bag for sure but I remember the time a bit more positive then others on here. Also add to the fact he was a big name draw for the kids watching from the stands which will have had a greater and longer legacy then anything he could of done as part of a failing team during his time here.

1 minute ago, hantsred said:

The fact is if he had of been anywhere near the top of his game when he came to us then put simply ...he wouldn't have come to us! He would have been snapped up by lower half premier league club at the time. Think people need to be realistic in their comments and criticism of him. Yes he was a mixed bag for sure but I remember the time a bit more positive then others on here. Also add to the fact he was a big name draw for the kids watching from the stands which will have had a greater and longer legacy then anything he could of done as part of a failing team during his time here.

Agreed. Bloke was 40 when he signed, he'd had an excellent career beforehand and the excitement of his signing was understandable.

Not entirely sure what people were really expecting from him, did some things well, made mistakes at the same time. 

The real error of that period lies with our owner not signing a younger, more capable, goalkeeper and not chasing the 'name'. 

There were far more rubbish players than james during that period. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Up the road from me. Used to see him round and about quite often. Hope his experience of the Chinese was better than mine last time I went!

Not having a go at the bloke, but hes taking us for mugs with that interview.

Sure, another prem club might have been in for him.

He would have been a no 2, at best, he came here cause it was close and for the dough.

A 40 year old in the prem in those days on 30k a week?

Didnt see many of them!

What a spoofer.

Just be honest, it was about the money.

Most disruptive signing ever.

Wasn't he still on the tabs when he signed for us?

10 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I can remember seeing him play for Watford at the Gate very early in his career 

IIRC, it was just after that game that Sourness signed him for Liverpool...having watched him gift us the winning goal (pretty soft goal, I think)

Fair play to him for the apology, certainly.

As for his stint here. Think he was a bit too old for us...driving from Exeter isn't ideal either, you want players in and around the area- sure I read about O'Neil or someone driving down from near London when he was here?

40...just about past it even for many keepers at a decent level- correct me if I'm wrong but we conceded 3 goals 5 times by mid October in the League?

6 hours ago, The turtle said:

What more than anything drive me insane about him was his inability to kick past the halfway like. 

Was that to do with being unfit, or did he always lack power? Time after time teams knew win that head and the counter was there. 

His kicking was definitely something I remember. He would drop kick it like a not particularly gifted footballer would or a ageing dad! I do remember him moaning about the quality of balls in the Championship as well, very heavy apparently. Oh & how he would rush out to look to throw to someone to start an attack, only to find everyone else strolling with their backs to him. COYR 

8 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Did he play for England while he was with us? I thought his last game was that World Cup immediately before signing…. I might be wrong. 

Think that’s the case. But he was the incumbent England keeper when he joined us. Give us a break…doesn’t happen often!!

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

Lovely house too. I did the survey on it when he was thinking of going to the MLS and put it on the market. He wasn`t there but I got shown round by the guy who looked after things like the garden and maintenance for him. I saw all his football and motor racing memorabilia (he had a `trophy room` - I guess most sportspeople who`ve had success do) and some of his paintings which were pretty good.

Remember thinking Ipswich away that James was the worst goalie I had seen play for City.

wasn’t it said the manager had no say in his signing, an SL vanity signing ?

This club has been truly badly run.  

can’t see anyone gaining an England cap anytime soon.  Pleased I watched Big John at his imperial best.  Would have played in a World Cup if it wasn’t for prejudice against a part timer

7 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I remember him being slightly petulant and on more than one occasion intentionally throwing or kicking the ball to nobody, then giving an exaggerated exasperated reaction a teammate wasn't there, seemingly to make a point. That's how it seemed to me anyway!

Millen said on the OSIB podcast (great listen btw, check it out) that if anyone chipped James in training he would petulantly launch the balls into the trees around the training ground in anger 

4 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Wasn't he still on the tabs when he signed for us?

IIRC, it was just after that game that Sourness signed him for Liverpool...having watched him gift us the winning goal (pretty soft goal, I think)

Yeah, I think he dropped a cross at the open end (it might have been the Atyeo by then?)

Archived