IGNORED

Dennis Law

downendcity

Another player from that era diagnosed with dementia.  :(

The cases of dementia in players from that period has prompted investigation into the effects of heading and those of my age will understand that given the state of pitches and the footballs then in use, which were nothing like the beachballs used today.

However, while thinking about this it made me think about the generation before Astle, Law, etc. I remember playing in the 60s with white leather footballs, of the type used in the pro game, which, while heavier than today’s balls, were coated so that they didn't absorb water. I’m pretty sure the balls used before then were the “old fashioned’ leather balls that soaked up water like a sponge and weighed a ton when wet. If so,  then I would have thought the evidence of dementia among players of that generation should be worse than from Astle and Law’s era but has any such evidence been obtained ( if, of course, it exists)?

Didn't earlier generations tend to have another job as well as football?   Maybe the shorter lifespan of individuals back then due to poorer working conditions, industrial accidents, pollution, smoking, mean that they may not have reached an age where dementia would have come into play?

34 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Didn't earlier generations tend to have another job as well as football?   Maybe the shorter lifespan of individuals back then due to poorer working conditions, industrial accidents, pollution, smoking, mean that they may not have reached an age where dementia would have come into play?

That’s a good point RS.

I read a report recently by some professor (I imagine he was anyway, they're pretty thick on the ground these days) regarding the relative weights of the balls then and now. He stated that there is little difference in the weight of the two balls and that the damage was caused by the speed of the ball when it was headed. 

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Another player from that era diagnosed with dementia.  :(The cases of dementia in players from that period

Sad indeed that DL should also develop dementia - in his 80s………Dementia is not a disease I’d wish on anyone but……I do wonder if footballers of Laws era are more prone to dementia than ordinary people of a similar age?

Ive not seen any research into a comparison on the disease.

Pleased to hear he's gonna keep going to watch Man United as long as he is able.   I'm sure being in familiar surroundings and the emotion of being at a game in the stadium he graced will continue to give him joy.  Being in the present becomes even more important when faced with something like dementia.  Wish him all the best.   Class act. 

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

With more and more players now suffering from this dreadful fate, I wonder how long heading is going to be allowed in football.

It's going to be a strange old game if heading is eventually banned.

Cancel culture is never ending so it will happen eventually, unfortunately 

Sad as it is, we need to keep living life 

49 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Pleased to hear he's gonna keep going to watch Man United as long as he is able.   I'm sure being in familiar surroundings and the emotion of being at a game in the stadium he graced will continue to give him joy.  Being in the present becomes even more important when faced with something like dementia.  Wish him all the best.   Class act. 

My father in law has dementia, very mild and relative early (diagnosed about 3-4 years ago).

He had a stroke of some kind about 6-7 years ago which left him on life support for about 2 weeks. We had a phone call to get to Colchester (an hour away at best) on a Friday evening before they put him into an induced coma as they weren't sure if he would come through the other side. We didn't make it before they put him in, wife was distraught but it was either do it then, or he wouldn't have made it as his system was shutting down as a result.

Thankfully he pulled through, was very ill and aged terribly, but as a result this triggered the dementia. It was the odd "forgetful" thing followed by something else, which just started spiralling. The medication he is on, has slowed the process down, but it is noticeable how much he forgets. If he hasn't seen family and long term friends for a while, he does need a prompt who they are, and it does trigger something.

The comment about being in familiar surroundings is essential for someone with this horrible disease. They don't deal with change, and really struggle when it happens (even more so if they have OCD like he does as well!)

Much like cancer, it's horrible seeing someone deteriorate to dementia, as eventually they probably won't even recognise their own immediate family (he sometimes calls me by my brother in laws name, but you can't let it bother you). 

Brave decision by Dennis Law to come out and say it, especially with how he said it. Sometimes it's a huge step even admitting it, let alone thinking about what could happen down the line. 

Hopefully he has plenty of experiences left that he can enjoy and remember. 

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

With more and more players now suffering from this dreadful fate, I wonder how long heading is going to be allowed in football.

It's going to be a strange old game if heading is eventually banned.

Is there not a point to be had that footballs were significantly heavier back then than they are now? In which case we won’t know the effects of modern day footballs until 40/50 years time.

42 minutes ago, Taz said:

My father in law has dementia, very mild and relative early (diagnosed about 3-4 years ago).

He had a stroke of some kind about 6-7 years ago which left him on life support for about 2 weeks. We had a phone call to get to Colchester (an hour away at best) on a Friday evening before they put him into an induced coma as they weren't sure if he would come through the other side. We didn't make it before they put him in, wife was distraught but it was either do it then, or he wouldn't have made it as his system was shutting down as a result.

Thankfully he pulled through, was very ill and aged terribly, but as a result this triggered the dementia. It was the odd "forgetful" thing followed by something else, which just started spiralling. The medication he is on, has slowed the process down, but it is noticeable how much he forgets. If he hasn't seen family and long term friends for a while, he does need a prompt who they are, and it does trigger something.

The comment about being in familiar surroundings is essential for someone with this horrible disease. They don't deal with change, and really struggle when it happens (even more so if they have OCD like he does as well!)

Much like cancer, it's horrible seeing someone deteriorate to dementia, as eventually they probably won't even recognise their own immediate family (he sometimes calls me by my brother in laws name, but you can't let it bother you). 

Brave decision by Dennis Law to come out and say it, especially with how he said it. Sometimes it's a huge step even admitting it, let alone thinking about what could happen down the line. 

Hopefully he has plenty of experiences left that he can enjoy and remember. 

That's really tough.  My mum, God rest her soul, had dementia so I know about it from personal experience.   Music always seem to cut through with her and we got a little glimpses of her now and again.  Maybe the terrace songs with do it for Dennis?

Dennis is being incredibly brave and selfless.  Rather than withdrawing it seems he is committing to staying in the public eye as long as he can - to some degree this is what he will be doing if he continues to go to games.

It would be much easier to leave fans with memories of him in his pomp.  To be even willing to consider revealing his frailty and vulnerability as the disease takes hold is a remarkable thing to do when do many footballers these are obsessed with image and ego. 

Amazing. 

My favourite player of all time and a gentleman, I remember he would stay with Gordon Low in his place behind the Kings Head, we used to hang around outside for autographs, Gordon would tell us off but then go and get Denis to sign, lovely guy, his wife Diane a lovely lady as well. I also recall him having a lovely red MkII Jaguar registration VTF 444D (my memory I wish I could remember important things). The first time I saw Denis (one N only) play was in a world cup qualifier in the early 60's at Hampden (my Aunty and Uncle lived on Aikenhead Road just behind the ground) against Czechoslavakia Law scored 2 and Ian St John (I seem to remember) scored the other, great experience for an 8 year old. As I say my favourite of all time!

• Admin
13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Sad indeed that DL should also develop dementia - in his 80s………Dementia is not a disease I’d wish on anyone but……I do wonder if footballers of Laws era are more prone to dementia than ordinary people of a similar age?

Ive not seen any research into a comparison on the disease.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19485256.glasgow-university-dementia-football-study-reveals-risk-five-fold-defenders/

Archived