IGNORED

Swansea City home - match thread

Jerseybean

As my first effort at starting a match day thread ended with us beating Reading I feel compelled to start today’s proceedings!

Friday night under the lights at Ashton Gate, just three days after an excellent away win, live on Sky, seems like the ideal time to record our first home win since 26 January and in so doing provide NP’s first win at home.

Swansea City parted company with Steve Cooper in the closed season, he has been replaced by Russell Martin, who previously was at MK Dons. They haven’t won in the league this season having picked up just one point from their opening three games. However, they did beat Reading 3-0 in the Carabao Cup. Their new manager has raised questions about their fitness (sound familiar?) and has managed expectations by saying: ‘This is going to be a season of transition. We have to prepare people for that in terms of expectation. That doesn’t mean it’ll be a season of pain!’ (Sound familiar?)

They have several familiar faces, Korey Smith, Liam Walsh, both are expected to be unavailable due to injury, (sound familiar?) and Jamie Paterson. Matty James v Pato (if selected) will be an interesting contest. While nAndy King and more recently Kasey Palmer have both featured for the Swans.

Last season they finished fourth, we drew with them 1-1 at AG and beat them 3-1 away.

NP may be forced to make changes to a winning team as King and Pring both picked up knocks at Reading, he also may feel that some fresh legs are called for.

Guessing Sky will be saying something like both these teams will be looking to kick-start their poor starts to the season.

Our home form has been awful for ages and back-to-back wins would be a huge boast and mean that our points for after the opening four league games, isn’t too shabby. I’m going for a 2-1 City victory. I have CM and MJ as scoring our goals, so on something of a bizarre side note what do they both have in common with the Swansea manager?

Let’s get the weekend off to a winning start by getting right behind the team and fully playing our part in turning around our home form. Let’s get fortress Ashton Gate back again and help to make it hard for teams to beat us. Of course we need the team to perform to excite us, but if we can create an intimidating atmosphere for away teams imagine what we can achieve and what memories we will have. COYR.

We will have eight days until we meet Cardiff ,our next opponents so we need some positives from our match tonight ,for the morale ,to carry us over the break.

We all know football is an unjust game where anything can happen but I feel that we should get a victory tonight.The whole of the club will be on a high after the winning feeling returned and will want it to continue in front of the home fans .

The Swans are in a state of flux and we should be a bit ahead of them in terms of teamwork.

They are another club of a similar size to us who have had some success in recent years and are in a transitional period as they try to reset. 

The City old boys should help them stabilise whilst not making them apparent promotion candidates.

I am hoping for a continuation of our ‘ baby steps’ to playing like Largish Nige wants us to and an entertaining game with at least a goal or two for us .

Let’s do it,

(let’s fall in love .) 

Good match thread @Jerseybean.

Watching the Swansea presser yesterday I think we're playing them at the right time.

Russell Martin speaks well and is both pragmatic & realistic. He made it very clear Swansea are nowhere near where he wants them in terms of conditioning and match readiness. They've had a difficult pre-season with injuries/covid issues.

Now is as good a time as possible to play them IMO. They've got a good squad so it won't be easy, but I think this is a real opportunity especially as we're at home.

We don't look that tight defensively yet so I think both teams scoring is fairly likely. 

3-1

Weimann, Martin and Scott for us. 

My only concern is they have a couple of players who know this club well and will be looking to make a statement. Swansea are a tough team on their worst days so I'm just hoping we really are motivated after the win and can actually keep the defence in check.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

My only concern is they have a couple of players who know this club well and will be looking to make a statement. Swansea are a tough team on their worst days so I'm just hoping we really are motivated after the win and can actually keep the defence in check.

Are any of them available?

I though all three were missing this evening

Really excited for this one. Should be a corker. I'd like to see Janneh playing at some point, otherwise I'm quite happy to go with whatever Nige thinks best. Let's put in a big performance from the stands tonight people. The Jacks on a Friday night isn't just any game! COYR.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

As my first effort at starting a match day thread ended with us beating Reading I feel compelled to start today’s proceedings!

Friday night under the lights at Ashton Gate, just three days after an excellent away win, live on Sky, seems like the ideal time to record our first home win since 26 January and in so doing provide NP’s first win at home.

Swansea City parted company with Steve Cooper in the closed season, he has been replaced by Russell Martin, who previously was at MK Dons. They haven’t won in the league this season having picked up just one point from their opening three games. However, they did beat Reading 3-0 in the Carabao Cup. Their new manager has raised questions about their fitness (sound familiar?) and has managed expectations by saying: ‘This is going to be a season of transition. We have to prepare people for that in terms of expectation. That doesn’t mean it’ll be a season of pain!’ (Sound familiar?)

They have several familiar faces, Korey Smith, Liam Walsh, both are expected to be unavailable due to injury, (sound familiar?) and Jamie Paterson. Matty James v Pato (if selected) will be an interesting contest. While nAndy King and more recently Kasey Palmer have both featured for the Swans.

Last season they finished fourth, we drew with them 1-1 at AG and beat them 3-1 away.

NP may be forced to make changes to a winning team as King and Pring both picked up knocks at Reading, he also may feel that some fresh legs are called for.

Guessing Sky will be saying something like both these teams will be looking to kick-start their poor starts to the season.

Our home form has been awful for ages and back-to-back wins would be a huge boast and mean that our points for after the opening four league games, isn’t too shabby. I’m going for a 2-1 City victory. I have CM and MJ as scoring our goals, so on something of a bizarre side note what do they both have in common with the Swansea manager?

Let’s get the weekend off to a winning start by getting right behind the team and fully playing our part in turning around our home form. Let’s get fortress Ashton Gate back again and help to make it hard for teams to beat us. Of course we need the team to perform to excite us, but if we can create an intimidating atmosphere for away teams imagine what we can achieve and what memories we will have. COYR.

Yes,hope your good start continues!

It's Friday....

It's 'orrible Swansea...

It's time for a home win..

Nothing else will do.

Tonight is the game Rennie earns his corn.

Swansea are a team you don’t want to be chasing the ball around against, after an energy sapping Reading win.  I know both sides played Tuesday, just it would have taken a lot out of us getting that first win physically and mentally.

We therefore need a team that can continue the improving press when we don’t have the ball, and so we can play at the tempo we did in spells on Tuesday.

So for me sport’s science plays it’s part in team selection and subs.

There are several candidates who could be swapped, cognisant that Baker was unlucky to miss out too.  Simpson and Martin are the obvious ones.  Weimann on the back of his ACL too.  O’Dowda hopefully fit (fit enough to be in crowd - NP) too.

We are allegedly fitter but tonight will test that selection policy.  Very easy to say “next game is 8 days away”, but no point playing a slightly fatigued side, and worse still someone in the “red zone” getting injured.

18:45 team announcement will be interesting.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good match thread @Jerseybean.

Watching the Swansea presser yesterday I think we're playing them at the right time.

Russell Martin speaks well and is both pragmatic & realistic. He made it very clear Swansea are nowhere near where he wants them in terms of conditioning and match readiness. They've had a difficult pre-season with injuries/covid issues.

Now is as good a time as possible to play them IMO. They've got a good squad so it won't be easy, but I think this is a real opportunity especially as we're at home.

We don't look that tight defensively yet so I think both teams scoring is fairly likely. 

3-1

Weimann, Martin and Scott for us. 

Especially as we are at home, I hate to break it to you but.

45 minutes ago, pillred said:

Especially as we are at home, I hate to break it to you but.

Am I missing something?

Oh, because we're pretty bad at home. True. What I mean by opportunity is a chance to change that and use the momentum from Tuesday. To achieve anything this season we need to transform our home form. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Am I missing something?

Oh, because we're pretty bad at home. True. What I mean by opportunity is a chance to change that and use the momentum from Tuesday. To achieve anything this season we need to transform our home form. 

Feels like a good chance to get a home win and kick on doesn't it? Should be a good atmosphere and Swansea are struggling at the moment. 3 points would then have us considerably more confident too.

I'd like to see Massengo start if King isn't 100% fit. Played well against Reading and can be box-to-box.

Feeling very confident, a 4-0 tonight.

It’ll be 3-0 at half-time - which is always a dangerous score - but a Palmer goal in the 90th minute will mean, finally, I will be able to relax and enjoy football for the 3 minutes of injury time. 

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Swansea are a team you don’t want to be chasing the ball around against, after an energy sapping Reading win.  I know both sides played Tuesday, just it would have taken a lot out of us getting that first win physically and mentally.

We therefore need a team that can continue the improving press when we don’t have the ball, and so we can play at the tempo we did in spells on Tuesday.

There are several candidates who could be swapped, cognisant that Baker was unlucky to miss out too.  Simpson and Martin are the obvious ones.  Weimann on the back of his ACL too.  O’Dowda hopefully fit (fit enough to be in crowd - NP) too.

We are allegedly fitter but tonight will test that selection policy.  Very easy to say “next game is 8 days away”, but no point playing a slightly fatigued side, and worse still someone in the “red zone” getting injured.

It would be tempting to select some who may be feeling Tuesdays game with a good break after this game, but with all the indicators to hand with regard to fatigue etc, I would think that whoever is selected is fit enough to play. NP doesn't seem the type to play fatigued players or risk player injury and Rennie seems to be a step up from the previous regime and has the confidence of NP so he will have a say as well.

FWIW, I think there will be minimal changes (not knowing the injury/fatigue situation). King took a heavy knock so Massengo in for him. Not sure if Pring has an injury but Palmer in for him if he has. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

This makes me slightly apprehensive, finally found a team that "clicked" but due to how quick the fixtures come we might have to pick it apart a bit. 

Happy with HNM in midfield in place of King, and hopefully O'Dowda in place of Pring if Pring gets moved to LB to give JD a rest.

I'm not sure what to do about right-back though; interested to see if Simpson can play 2 games in 4 days. Could we see Vyner back or maybe even Kalas there?

Up front I hope Weimann and Martin are okay; but Weimann only just back from injury and Martin isn't exactly young. 

Let's see if Dave Rennie and Pearson's preseason has worked!

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Feeling very confident, a 4-0 tonight.

It’ll be 3-0 at half-time - which is always a dangerous score - but a Palmer goal in the 90th minute will mean, finally, I will be able to relax and enjoy football for the 3 minutes of injury time. 

Nothing like a win to change the mood! 

Feels like something of bellweather match to me. Tuesday was one of those 'perfect storm' night games: big reaction to Saturday's loss to Boro, noisy and passionate away following, Reading missing a few players. Can we back it up?

Players might find it hard to play with the same intensity. Three days is the minimum for an effective turn around after a hard game. Don't mind a few changes to freshen it up but there aren't loads of options. Massengo for the injured King seems likely. Vyner for 35yo Simpson - possible.

Weimann and Martin gave a lot on Tuesday, but there are no obvious like-for-like swaps. 

At least Swansea have had the same programme.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Miserly 5/4 with Skybet.

If we can repeat the work rate and commitment from the Reading game we should win against a currently struggling Swansea side.

2-1.

That's the first time we have been favourites for a long time, I think even FGR were favourites against us.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Massemgo Wells Nagy and Vyner will start for King, Pring or Scott, Simpson and Martin. 

Nagy to protect Vyner on the right.

1 hour ago, Cider red said:

Whats the expected crowd?

Looked busy when I was trying to buy tickets. South Stand had no availability, there were pockets of seats in the Lansdown but only a few hundred. Dolman had a bit of space tbf

Could we break 20k? Not sure how many Swansea will bring

Looking forward to it, my first game back at AG in far too long.

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Looked busy when I was trying to buy tickets. South Stand had no availability, there were pockets of seats in the Lansdown but only a few hundred. Dolman had a bit of space tbf

Could we break 20k? Not sure how many Swansea will bring

Looking forward to it, my first game back at AG in far too long.

Swansea had less than 100 tickets left yesterday  

Archived