IGNORED

Swansea City home - match thread

Jerseybean

The Swans pass the ball to death under Martin he loves possesion football (60%+) as they did under Cooper, apparently very boring to watch and struggle to create many chances as they haven't been able to bring many forwards in to help Jamal Lowe (who also could be sold for the right price). My understanding is they have turned over quite a few players in the summer similar to us and still could lose a few before the window who are in their last year of contract and they can't afford to keep them. They are definitely there for the taking if we can bring our A game again like Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Tonight is the game Rennie earns his corn.

Swansea are a team you don’t want to be chasing the ball around against, after an energy sapping Reading win.  I know both sides played Tuesday, just it would have taken a lot out of us getting that first win physically and mentally.

We therefore need a team that can continue the improving press when we don’t have the ball, and so we can play at the tempo we did in spells on Tuesday.

So for me sport’s science plays it’s part in team selection and subs.

There are several candidates who could be swapped, cognisant that Baker was unlucky to miss out too.  Simpson and Martin are the obvious ones.  Weimann on the back of his ACL too.  O’Dowda hopefully fit (fit enough to be in crowd - NP) too.

We are allegedly fitter but tonight will test that selection policy.  Very easy to say “next game is 8 days away”, but no point playing a slightly fatigued side, and worse still someone in the “red zone” getting injured.

18:45 team announcement will be interesting.

Take your points but I think Weimann/Martin playing centrally is key to how NP wants us to play, especially with the press. Kalas also proved his worth on Tuesday, so I can't see Baker starting. The only changes I expect are Massengo for King and possibly COD for Pring. Williams might be on the bench, too. 

I'm confident about tonight, and think it's a good time to play Swansea. Narrow win or a score draw. COYR. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Feeling very confident, a 4-0 tonight.

It’ll be 3-0 at half-time - which is always a dangerous score - but a Palmer goal in the 90th minute will mean, finally, I will be able to relax and enjoy football for the 3 minutes of injury time. 

Valium might be a more likely option - but I admire your optimism. COYRs..........

1 hour ago, tin said:

Take your points but I think Weimann/Martin playing centrally is key to how NP wants us to play, especially with the press. Kalas also proved his worth on Tuesday, so I can't see Baker starting. The only changes I expect are Massengo for King and possibly COD for Pring. Williams might be on the bench, too. 

I'm confident about tonight, and think it's a good time to play Swansea. Narrow win or a score draw. COYR. 

Wasn’t suggesting changes, just considerations.

FWIW Wells and Conway were great with Janneh and Pearson either side pressing against MK Dons pass-out from the back….Martin’s old side.

I would like to think that we can press the GK and CBs regardless of personnel….the above point at least highlights it’s a team pattern (at long last ?), not just Martin and Weimann specific.  We saw Scott doing it v Blackpool too.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Am I missing something?

Oh, because we're pretty bad at home. True. What I mean by opportunity is a chance to change that and use the momentum from Tuesday. To achieve anything this season we need to transform our home form. 

I hope we are never ever as bad at home as we were at the end of last season, as I have said on another thread I think and hope it's a record that stands for all time as if we ever do equal it we will be in danger of dropping out of the Championship which for the club and supporters would be nothing short of a disaster, personally as someone who has been attending matches at the gate for over 55 years I have seen more than my fair share of relegations followed by a rebuild, I naively thought those days were behind us. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I hope we are never ever as bad at home as we were at the end of last season, as I have said on another thread I think and hope it's a record that stands for all time as if we ever do equal it we will be in danger of dropping out of the Championship which for the club and supporters would be nothing short of a disaster, personally as someone who has been attending matches at the gate for over 55 years I have seen more than my fair share of relegations followed by a rebuild, I naively thought those days were behind us. 

You have seen six of those unmentionable seasons. Add another for me. At my age I do not ever want to see another!

Archived