IGNORED

Swansea City home - match thread

Jerseybean

Not short on guts, but short on quality. Writing was on the wall when Scott and Pring went off, basically our primary offensive threat. Semenyo, I'm sorry, but about as bad a player as we've ever fielded in the Championship. Should be nowhere near the team. And Wells, did he have a single meaningful touch?

It's very worrying to be turned over by a Swansea side that are still gelling together, and playing most of that game in third gear. They made it look easy, because they know how to keep the ball and use it effectively, how to recycle the ball and thus boss possession, and how to pass the ball, quickly and accurately, back to front. All things, based on that showing, we do not do well. AT ALL.

3 minutes ago, pogue malone said:

Uninspiring show, I watched on TV, I wouldn't pay to watch that, not entertaining at all 

Do us a favour and stay at home. Good support tonight, fans knowing we’ve got a tough season ahead. But most of us could see improvement and we don’t need negativity dragging us down.

1 minute ago, OneCity said:

Not short on guts, but short on quality. Writing was on the wall when Scott and Pring went off, basically our primary offensive threat. Semenyo, I'm sorry, but about as bad a player as we've ever fielded in the Championship. Should be nowhere near the team. And Wells, did he have a single meaningful touch?

It's very worrying to be turned over by a Swansea side that are still gelling together, and playing most of that game in third gear. They made it look easy, because they know how to keep the ball and use it effectively, how to recycle the ball and thus boss possession, and how to pass the ball, quickly and accurately, back to front. All things, based on that showing, we do not do well. AT ALL.

Aren’t we still gelling together?

First half whilst we were the better team we didn't create enough clear cut chances despite being in really good positions. 

Wells and Semenyo didnt have any effect. Simpson looked weak but Massengo, James and Pring stood out for me. Thought overall we looked in it for the entire game until the last 30 mins where we became really ineffective. 

Grimes and the right back from Manchester were very dangerous players.

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I'm amazed people think we played well tonight.  We played an average team who never tried hard and won.

I'm watching Wiemann run around a lot.  Which is what he does best.

Simpson is a red card waiting to happen

Dear God, Dasilva???  I'd like to congratulate him for winning a header in the 83rd minute.  I say "win".  It accidentally hit his head and went out for their throw in.  He did nothing else.

Wells?  Average.

The one plus is Massengo who was top notch.  He won't start the next game...

Are you mad .

3 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Can’t complain at the performance, plenty of heart and endeavour in there but a real lack of quality be that in the finish, the ball into the box or even back to the pass that opens up the opportunity.
I think you’re desperately in need of attacking players, at least one wide option and one striker. And at least one of the full backs has to offer something going forward, they’re not offering enough. Simpson never will which is fine if you get more from the other side.

I said before you signed Matty James that him and Massengo could be a great partnership and on that showing, I think over time they will be. Massengo just needs a bit more control in his game. Both Wells and Martin were dogshit, Weimann runs around a lot and but doesn’t do enough with it, Semenyo is all pace and power with little end product.
Really need a couple of players of quality to really control the game and produce something.

I assume you are a fan of other team. You see things very close to what I see. Semenyo is not a Championship player and will never be. Simpson should retire or play 100 minutes all season.

1 minute ago, OneCity said:

Thought the same to be honest. Swansea were a poor team. We are improving though. Gonna take time. 

First half we played well but ran out of ideas the second half. Not watched a lot of city for a while but two of the poorest full backs I’ve seen. 
Simpson is far to slow and adds nothing going forward, Dasilva I have yet to see really impress. 
Swansea like to play from the back but knew a long ball to the wide areas they would win or push us back, pring would make a far better full back for us. 

I thought Swansea were pretty poor apart from the two central midfielders Fulton and Grimes. Their defence and goalie is the most panicked defence I have seen and had we got the luck of the bounce or been a bit braver could have exploited it more.

It's funny to see so many people having a go at Semenyo who has just come back from an injury, played 60 mins reserve football and is expected to play like Mahrez. Use your brain to realise his touch isn't going to be up to scratch straight away.

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Maybe harsh but what is it now 12/13 games at home now without a win. Its absolutely not good enough. 

Its not no but its a strange record because its a new season now and completely different look to our team. 

1 minute ago, grifty said:

It's funny to see so many people having a go at Semenyo who has just come back from an injury, played 60 mins reserve football and is expected to play like Mahrez. Use your brain to realise his touch isn't going to be up to scratch straight away.

Well regardless he was poor. He didn't look anywhere near ready. 

16 minutes ago, hooered said:

A long season lies ahead I feel if we don't strengthen the team with a clinical finisher and a more dominant midfield who can put it about. From what I've seen we will be around the bottom six if we don't

I thought we looked OK in midfield. Attack and defence are a real problem though

Well we deserved a point at least. If Pring had nodded toward goal instead of cutting it back in the first five it would have been a very different game. Hey ho, not blaming him in the slightest and I thought, along with HNM he had a great game. Fine margins and all that.

1 minute ago, Ostrich said:

Can’t complain at the performance, plenty of heart and endeavour in there but a real lack of quality be that in the finish, the ball into the box or even back to the pass that opens up the opportunity.
I think you’re desperately in need of attacking players, at least one wide option and one striker. And at least one of the full backs has to offer something going forward, they’re not offering enough. Simpson never will which is fine if you get more from the other side.

I said before you signed Matty James that him and Massengo could be a great partnership and on that showing, I think over time they will be. Massengo just needs a bit more control in his game. Both Wells and Martin were dogshit, Weimann runs around a lot and but doesn’t do enough with it, Semenyo is all pace and power with little end product.
Really need a couple of players of quality to really control the game and produce something.

Spot on O.
Lots of endeavour, which was best epitomised by HNM and lots of ‘almost moments’. Overall, we looked clunky and a bit anxious at times, certainly never fluid or in control. TBF on the balance of play a draw would have been a fairer reflection IMO. There will probably be games this season when w3 don’t play as well and win. However, we failed to take our chances (the best fell to CM in the opening five minutes) and created very few in the second half. 

Nevertheless, compared with last season, which was woeful, we look much more organised, much fitter and have a better balance.

A cop up le of additions (RB and a forward) and we’d be a different proposition.

Headlines……frustrating, work in progress, disappointing, improvements evident but more improvements/changes required.

Suggest we need to be realistic and celebrate that we are heading in the right direction, in NP I trust.  

Really don’t think knocking Wells is fair TBH. He was one of the players most teams in the league would have taken when at QPR. He’s come here and been in expected to be something he’s not and played accordingly.   Most other teams would play him down the middle with the team built around feeding him.    His cameo tonight looked like a man desperate to show he can contribute and wanting to play, despite the set up being against his skill set. 

4 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Biggest frustration for me was how little impact the subs made. Half their team booked, tiring legs, should have added something. Nope..

Same - really disappointed with Semenyo, clearly not match ready.

2 minutes ago, Aslanovic said:

Really don’t think knocking Wells is fair TBH. He was one of the players most teams in the league would have taken when at QPR. He’s come here and been in expected to be something he’s not and played accordingly.   Most other teams would play him down the middle with the team built around feeding him.    His cameo tonight looked like a man desperate to show he can contribute and wanting to play, despite the set up being against his skill set. 

I do, sulkier than a Smiths album on repeat.

Reading some of the comments on here I just wonder why most of them even bother supporting city...

Yes we lack the cutting edge up front but we all know that and the manager knows that and unless we get someone in that ain't gonna change anytime soon, but at worst we deserved a point from that game and was a massive improvement from some of the utter shit we have had to put up with in recent times...

2 minutes ago, Aslanovic said:

Wells is becoming a bit of an enigma. Somehow we need to find a way to play him down the middle for a fair number of games and not out wide. I still think he has goals in him at Champ level, but he has to be down the centre. Think NP will  have to change it up front, especially home games.

Archived