IGNORED

Swansea City home - match thread

Jerseybean

Re their goal, our defence was sitting too deep.  The same on Tuesday for Reading’s 2nd.  Both then and tonight, the opposition got the wrong side of HNM and were able to drive into a acres of space.  I suspect we’re sitting too deep because we’re worried about the ball over the top and our lack of pace amongst the back 4. 

21 minutes ago, pogue malone said:

Uninspiring show, I watched on TV, I wouldn't pay to watch that, not entertaining at all 

Sorry mate you’re wrong, your house is probably just boring & you get should get off the sofa & get down the gate & get behind the team.

Atmosphere & intensity was decent, we enjoyed it despite the result.

So good to see us play as a much more combative team.

Pring, Scott and masengo tonight we're mint. On another night we win this game 2-0. We limited them to few actual chances (2/3) we had 6/7. What is it about Ashton gate. Need a win. January was the last win. A long time in football. What can we do.  Need a finisher. 

Kala's wasn't all that tonight. NP might be right you know. Baker and adkinson

2 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Pring, Scott and masengo tonight we're mint. On another night we win this game 2-0. We limited them to few actual chances (2/3) we had 6/7. What is it about Ashton gate. Need a win. January was the last win. A long time in football. What can we do.  Need a finisher. 

Kala's wasn't all that tonight. NP might be right you know. Baker and adkinson

I thought Kalas was the best of the back 4 by a long way.

My summary of watching the game - We look fit and press as a team, some good energy in attack but lacked that final ball and composure tonight

We definitely need a RB, Simpson is not the answer and neither is Vyner

Lets hope we can add a couple of loans RB & Striker/wide attacker before the window closes 

I can't believe how little mention there has been of Matty James - what a player! He makes so much happen both on and off the ball. I was really, really impressed.

And if I hear a certain vocal City fan say about Massengo, "I don't know what he is. He don't tackle, he don't assist, he don't score..." one more time I'll do something drastic like mutter under my breath that he doesn't understand football. HNM was winning the ball, beating players, keeping the play moving. One time he was the only one to track a Swansea forward who was through on goal. Talent.

So my big positive was that midfield pairing. 

Negatives: Weimann again showed that he isn't really a striker. DaSilva looked well off the pace. Simpson should have been sent off. Semenyo looked scared. We saw Atkinson's first fatal defensive lapse.

But overall, I enjoyed watching City. Like @Fordy said earlier, we were a pleasure to watch, not the attritional slapstick of last season.

I think we were blessed with four relatively benign fixtures to begin this season and we've come away with only one win which is disappointing, but I'm happy with the football we've played and I'm looking forward to watching our evolution.

10 minutes ago, Malago said:

Re their goal, our defence was sitting too deep.  The same on Tuesday for Reading’s 2nd.  Both then and tonight, the opposition got the wrong side of HNM and were able to drive into a acres of space.  I suspect we’re sitting too deep because we’re worried about the ball over the top and our lack of pace amongst the back 4. 

Yep. Though the main error tonight is Atkinson diving in and not getting the ball which leaves everyone else exposed.

Just now, Robin-hugh-blind said:

What he say, 

Happy with the intensity and commitment. Last season he didn’t know what he was going to get from the team - now he does. Good group. Disappointed with the result but if we continue like tonight ‘we’ll be ok’. 

25 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well regardless he was poor. He didn't look anywhere near ready. 

Exactly, so why the expectation? I've seen him labelled as not a championship player, despite playing for a club in the Championship making him the definition of a championship player and also the worst player to play for us in the championship!

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Enjoyed that everyone played well but just missed the final touch.

The worst player on the pitch by a mile was their guy who scored, absolutely terrible.

I do wonder if we didn't get the rub of the green too. There seemed to be so many moments where the ball just didn't quite fall to our player or squeeze through the gaps. Sometimes you have to just take a defeat and say we did what we could.

Good interview from NP - some interesting comments made re he now knows what he’s going to get from the “good” group.

We still need to find a way of getting our best striker (Wells) on the pitch…..bringing him on for 20-30 mins ain’t the answer.

Thought it was interesting to note NP mentioning the transfer window unprovoked though…..perhaps some movement is likely…..

I’m encouraged by the performance tonight. I’m also encouraged by the vast majority of posters who seem to understand that we are developing now under NP and are starting to play with purpose and intensity. All I really expect of the players on the pitch is to give as much as any of us would. I think I’ve seen that tonight.

We have to understand that players will make mistakes and have bad games, however I am greatly encouraged by the effort and intensity the players showed tonight. I don’t think we’ve seen that for at least a couple of seasons.

We have limitations and it will take time but I am firmly on the NP train and think it will take us to promotion. Just not this season.

44 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Maybe harsh but what is it now 12/13 games at home now without a win. Its absolutely not good enough. 

Emotive perhaps but we’ve got to forget the car crash that was last season, I think NP will get this lot going, far more reasons to be optimistic this time round.

23 minutes ago, eardun said:

Happy with the intensity and commitment. Last season he didn’t know what he was going to get from the team - now he does. Good group. Disappointed with the result but if we continue like tonight ‘we’ll be ok’. 

OK? we have set the bar pretty low, not sure about you but ok doesn't really cut it for me, sorry if that sounds harsh but maybe it's an age thing.

I enjoyed that first half, lots of stuff we've been missing for 18 months. The lack of a finisher was telling though. 
Everyone played well, Simpson least "well" I guess and Scott needs to cut out a few touches. But I thought Pring was very good and James showed his class. What a player Massengo is going to be, but I want him ten yards further forward.

Now I'm going to go against something I've been saying for weeks. My preferred formation has always been a back 3, but as we haven't played it at all this year I've said it was pointless even thinking about it. After tonight? I think it gets players in their best areas and, specially against Cardiff , may help to combat the coming air raid. So...

Bring Baker in left of 3, Atkinson middle and Kalas right.
RB/RWB is a problem, but I'd give Vyner a run.
LB/LWB for his height & crossing/delivery I'd have Pring in.
James & King as abase with HNM bombing on in MF
Which leaves Martin & Weimann up front.

If we can keep the positional rotation and movement I think this is a great set up, and Nige did say it could happen. 
We could probably do with as many (aerial ) ball winners as we'll be up against 2 men mountains in Flint and Moore. 

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

OK? we have set the bar pretty low, not sure about you but ok doesn't really cut it for me, sorry if that sounds harsh but maybe it's an age thing.

We are not to far away from being a pretty solid Championship team.

We are playing much better than tonight’s result suggested.

It was a good game to watch despite and our effort was very good tonight.

We need to sort the full backs out -We need to sign a right back and also swop  Pring for JD.

Scott is not ready for Championship yet. Looks a good player but does not impact the game enough for me - plenty to choose from O’Dowda, Palmer, Seymenyo....

Williams will hopefully be fit next week and with James can make a good partnership 

And finally either play Wells through the middle or do a swap deal with someone Nig will play through the middle.

Disappointed by the result but not the performance.

3 minutes ago, Better Red said:

We are not to far away from being a pretty solid Championship team.

We are playing much better than tonight’s result suggested.

It was a good game to watch despite and our effort was very good tonight.

We need to sort the full backs out -We need to sign a right back and also swop  Pring for JD.

Scott is not ready for Championship yet. Looks a good player but does not impact the game enough for me - plenty to choose from O’Dowda, Palmer, Seymenyo....

Williams will hopefully be fit next week and with James can make a good partnership 

And finally either play Wells through the middle or do a swap deal with someone Nig will play through the middle.

Disappointed by the result but not the performance.

Agree 100% we just had to lose though didn't we, said at the beginning WBA, Fulham, those early efforts would have gone in, we really seem cursed, sorry to say it but having watched city for too many years than I care to mention nothing seems to change.  

Archived