IGNORED

The Green Shoots of Recovery

Fordy62

It’s quite apparent to anyone who would’ve watched this evening that there are some green shoots of recovery. 

Yes, we may have gone a long time without a win at home, but the performance was undoubtedly there tonight. 

We attacked with purpose and hardly ever played it backwards, although defensively maybe a little more work required.

Tonight we may have lost, but I enjoyed it. And we played well. 

Let’s move on. Things look brighter than they have in years. 

Swansea were there for the taking tonight with key players missing and some teething problems with their new style of play. I’m a bit concerned about the lack of clear cut chances we created. James and Massengo played well in midfield but we’re severely lacking in quality and cutting edge in attacking areas. Our full backs are a problem defensively too.

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Definitely an improvement, especially the first 25 minutes, best I’ve seen for a long time.

Its going to take a long time, we’ve got so bad that even learning how to be lucky and get those breaks won’t come overnight

That's the thing. People might think that saying how much better it is is going OTT, but you have to bear in mind just how bad it got.

It didn't get broken overnight, it's not going to be fixed overnight either.

There were definite positives. Massengo was excellent, Scott did well and Pring looks like he can play at this level. Semenyo was rusty but it was good to see him back.

What worried me a bit was creative options off the bench. Semenyo and Wells added energy but arguably unbalanced the team in that we had four strikers and no attacking midfielders/wingers.

We've got COD to come back from injury and Semenyo will look better as he regains match fitness but I'd nonetheless currently prioritise a winger or creative wide midfielder over a striker. 

I'm with you @Fordy62, an unfortunate one two off the post after Martin misses a sitter, and that was the difference. Swansea didn't offer much, pass it nice enough but equally powder puff up front. Shocking time wasting allowed by the ref.

HNM good in midfield, felt Nagy might have made difference in there without Matty James tonight, odd decision to bring him on with 7 mins to go, not sure what that was going to achieve. Subs didn't really help with attacking intent or fluidity. Pring offers something on left side, missed that when he went off.

Both full backs look a little suspect tonight, and with so little attacking threat coming from Swansea, we could've easily played a back 3 and pushed up higher in midfield. But the early pressing was impressive, at least some passion and intent. A far cry from what has been witnessed previously.

Plenty of endeavour and with time, the quality and understanding will come. Disappointed with the result but not really the performance, lots to build on.

37 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It’s quite apparent to anyone who would’ve watched this evening that there are some green shoots of recovery. 

Yes, we may have gone a long time without a win at home, but the performance was undoubtedly there tonight. 

We attacked with purpose and hardly ever played it backwards, although defensively maybe a little more work required.

Best post I’ve seen on here for months. 

38 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

We lost.  But Lee Johnson wasn't in charge.  Which pretty much sums up the nonsense above.

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

We lost.  But Lee Johnson wasn't in charge.  Which pretty much sums up the nonsense above.

When Lee Johnson won, by and large we were poor. So this is kind of like the opposite. 

Lee Johnson couldn’t dream of a positive display like that and thank **** he isn’t in charge. He started this mess. 

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

How many years? I only ask because the last home match I attended was against Fulham last year. We drew that day and were in the top six. Even the most optimistic fan surely accepts we won’t get anywhere near the top six this season. 

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I agree pal, definitely an improvement but it’s just a worry that we couldn’t beat a newly promoted Blackpool and a lets be honest a poor Swansea.. I’m hopeful and I believe in Pearson i just feel without some signings up top we are going to be potentially struggling at the wrong end this season.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

When Lee Johnson won, by and large we were poor. So this is kind of like the opposite. 

Lee Johnson couldn’t dream of a positive display like that and thank **** he isn’t in charge. He started this mess. 

Realise you don’t like him at all, but to say Johnson ‘couldn’t dream of a display like tonight’ is pretty embarrassing.

Yes, things ended badly, but on plenty of occasions over his 4 years in charge we put in better displays than tonight, and ended up winning. Tonight was a big positive, but let’s not go overboard and say it was better than any game under Johnson, which is just nonsense

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Realise you don’t like him at all, but to say Johnson ‘couldn’t dream of a display like tonight’ is pretty embarrassing.

Yes, things ended badly, but on plenty of occasions over his 4 years in charge we put in better displays than tonight, and ended up winning. Tonight was a big positive, but let’s not go overboard and say it was better than any game under Johnson, which is just nonsense

Yeh. Fair one. I should’ve specified a time frame. 

Each game I'd argue we play, the much more we look like a unit.

How many times did we shithouse the results we needed early season last? Plenty.

This time the shoe was on the other foot. Best overall performance I've seen in a long time, especially at AG.

Overall I'd say we desperately need a LB. In this quick transition style, and overall since his injury, Jay's looked large and part mediocre. Same with regards to RB, although a bit early to write Vyner off. Difference being its evident that Simpson's legs have goneversus not being overall good enough defensively.

I'd say if we can shift Nagy, and get two loans in; easily mid-table if we play to that standard week in week out.

For me, the football entertainment value is MUCH better under Pearson than it has been ever under Holden, and arguably not since LJs cup run. 

I can handle losing when we go out and attack the opposition, which we really are doing.

Bentley hardly had a pass back to deal with tonight, which shows how much higher we press up the pitch now. 

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'd argue the more we view LJ's reign in context (along with MA), and the worse the current this situation is with regards to the quality of the playing staff (and NP being hamstrung by lack of funds), the worse the last three years look in terms of the utter failure of all levels of management to capitalise on the momentum of the cup run - regarding both Johnson and Ashton.

Fact of the matter is, tonight was by and large the best we've played at home (and more importanly over two overall fixtures) in years, pretty much - despite the result.

14 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'd argue the more we view LJ's reign in context (along with MA), and the worse the current this situation is with regards to the quality of the playing staff (and NP being hamstrung by lack of funds), the worse the last three years look in terms of the utter failure of all levels of management to capitalise on the momentum of the cup run - regarding both Johnson and Ashton.

Fact of the matter is, tonight was by and large the best we've played at home (and more importanly over two overall fixtures) in years, pretty much - despite the result.

I’m not arguing against any of that, and the serious mismanagement has come back to bite us big time.

My issue was more with the assertion that tonight’s performance was better than any performance we saw under Johnson, which I’m sure you’d agree just isn’t true

What I like is we are finally giving Pring a run, we have Scott playing well and HNM looking decent with nice touch even if he carries no goal threat personally. 

Semenyo came on as well, although he can’t cross or shoot for toffee. 

James is excellent and the team ticks around him. We are not far off. Its going to be all about if any of our players attract an offer/s and what we can do with the wedge!

1 hour ago, Keith Welch said:

Swansea were there for the taking tonight with key players missing and some teething problems with their new style of play. I’m a bit concerned about the lack of clear cut chances we created. James and Massengo played well in midfield but we’re severely lacking in quality and cutting edge in attacking areas. Our full backs are a problem defensively too.

If thats the first time you've uttered that sentence in 2-3 years mate, then I'm bloody concerned for you quite frankly. 

24 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He's totally delusional, Johnson clearly rents space in his head.

We did play well tonight, it was more positive but just lacked quality when it mattered. I hope this is the start of better things to come

Archived