IGNORED

The Green Shoots of Recovery

Fordy62

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Realise you don’t like him at all, but to say Johnson ‘couldn’t dream of a display like tonight’ is pretty embarrassing.

Yes, things ended badly, but on plenty of occasions over his 4 years in charge we put in better displays than tonight, and ended up winning. Tonight was a big positive, but let’s not go overboard and say it was better than any game under Johnson, which is just nonsense

They were even some home wins under Lee Johnson. And away wins. And a cup semi final. And two play-off challenges. Incredible when you consider how he was the worst manager of all time…

11 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

I'm with you @Fordy62, an unfortunate one two off the post after Martin misses a sitter, and that was the difference. Swansea didn't offer much, pass it nice enough but equally powder puff up front. Shocking time wasting allowed by the ref.

HNM good in midfield, felt Nagy might have made difference in there without Matty James tonight, odd decision to bring him on with 7 mins to go, not sure what that was going to achieve. Subs didn't really help with attacking intent or fluidity. Pring offers something on left side, missed that when he went off.

Both full backs look a little suspect tonight, and with so little attacking threat coming from Swansea, we could've easily played a back 3 and pushed up higher in midfield. But the early pressing was impressive, at least some passion and intent. A far cry from what has been witnessed previously.

Plenty of endeavour and with time, the quality and understanding will come. Disappointed with the result but not really the performance, lots to build on.

James started the game. It was King who came on as a sub with 7 minutes to go.

Wasn't able to catch the game last night but really reassuring to come on here and see that almost unanimously people felt like we played well and that it wasn't a disaster.

Usually after a loss, regardless of the context, people will complain and moan about the performance in a hugely exaggerated way. The consensus seems to be we played well, the game plan was effective and we are a player or two short (plus need a little luck).

That's really good to read. Shows we're heading in the right direction. 

14 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That's the thing. People might think that saying how much better it is is going OTT, but you have to bear in mind just how bad it got.

It didn't get broken overnight, it's not going to be fixed overnight either.

You also just have to watch what’s in front of you and, to properly and objectively judge a performance, forget about the scoreline.

We showed 100% more impetus, intent, attacking ambition and confidence last night than at Reading, where two set-pieces out of nothing gave us a slightly false two-goal head start. We even showed more than in many of the narrow wins during Lee Johnson’s final year or so in charge.

(I’m not for a minute suggesting results aren’t important, but at this point playing well and showing ambition is simply more important - to me personally, anyway - than scraping the odd 1-0).

The results will come and the first 2 games at AG had more attacking intent than any I can remember since Huddersfield in 2019. Even that was a one off.

I can see what NP is trying to do, there has been improvement in performances since the tail end of last season. We won't get promoted, I also dont believe we will get relegated but we will be far better to watch than we have been for about 3 years and that for me is the main thing. The players are giving their all and that is all we can ask for. Some really downed tools last season mind

13 hours ago, firstdivision said:

They were even some home wins under Lee Johnson. 

There were indeed, but given LJ must have been in charge for close on 100 home League games, you'd rather hope he did win a few.

Just had a cursory count up on the official site, and, as I suspected we've been shite at home for years.

LJ's last 2 seasons:

18/19 - 9 home wins in 23 games. That's 14 home games we failed to win.

19/20 - 7 home wins in 20 games (before he finally got the boot after home defeat to Cardiff on July 4th.) 13 home games we failed to win under LJ.

Not going back any further but my suspicion (& recollection) is home form was just about always unsatisfactory under LJ, in terms of both performances and results.

Some good away stats. mixed in, but at home we've been pretty awful for ages.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

There were indeed, but given LJ must have been in charge for close on 100 home League games, you'd rather hope he did win a few.

Just had a cursory count up on the official site, and, as I suspected we've been shite at home for years.

LJ's last 2 seasons:

18/19 - 9 home wins in 23 games. That's 14 home games we failed to win.

19/20 - 7 home wins in 20 games (before he finally got the boot after home defeat to Cardiff on July 4th.) 13 home games we failed to win under LJ.

Not going back any further but my suspicion (& recollection) is home form was just about always unsatisfactory under LJ, in terms of both performances and results.

Some good away stats. mixed in, but at home we've been pretty awful for ages.

Its completely reflective of LJ’s style of play retreating into a “counter-attack” only outfit which made us painful to watch come the end.

On 21/08/2021 at 14:23, TomThumb84 said:

Its completely reflective of LJ’s style of play retreating into a “counter-attack” only outfit which made us painful to watch come the end.

Think 2019/20 was fairly appalling, 2018/19 at home had its ups and downs but we still had games where a) We were dominant or b) Had shot dominance at times even if not necessarily the results ie we gave it a go, a few that could fall into that category but by no means all- however, think it really fell off a cliff in his final season however.

Archived