IGNORED

A RECORD TO STAND FOR ALL TIME?

pillred

• The title was changed to A RECORD TO STAND FOR ALL TIME?

An occasional poster (but season ticket holders view) 

2 poor full backs. Jay De Silva too short and poor defensively and Simpson has no pace. 

Midfield still to play that killer ball albeit no pace in the forwards except Weinmann. 

No width to get to the by line and pull the ball back and no physical presence in the box.

Positives-Central defence in general and great to be back with a 20,000 crowd with some passion and enthusiasm 

Always red and always believe but its hard at times. Can't recall the last time I walked away from Ashton Gate having been really entertained. Hope for mid table fear it may be a tad worse  

Signings or changes required...??? Both full backs and some pace up front/someone to play on the shoulder of last defender OR go long to a target man (we don't have one) and midfield to get up and join in. Not enough goals from there 

Not winning at home for 12 games is unforgivable and has almost been under-noticed in all of the other stuff going on.

Ashton Gate, in my first 25 years of supporting this club was a fortress. I cant help think its too nice for an away side to play at. Its not hostile enough and why cant we have our fans at both ends of the ground and shove the away up in a corner of the Dolman? Its an away teams paradise. Noisiest end of the ground they are in too.

Need to sort this out soon. Completely unacceptable to provide a comfy place to play for away teams and fans.

21 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We keep breaking club records for the wrong reasons, it happened with Johnson more than once and now pearson's getting in on the act. 

There is such a malaise within the club and in the fans, the club is a soft touch and team after team come here and take the piss. Its embarrassing. 

I agree and it's been building for a couple of years.

But surely performances like today and Reading are clear evidence of us starting to turn a corner and shaking off the malaise and soft touch? We didn't win today but we were by no means a soft touch.

7 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I agree and it's been building for a couple of years.

But surely performances like today and Reading are clear evidence of us starting to turn a corner and shaking off the malaise and soft touch? We didn't win today but we were by no means a soft touch.

I'm wary of 'turned the corner' statements, people still bang on about a terrible 0-0 draw against Leyton orient 10 years ago that was supposed to be our pathway to nirvana. 

I do think we are a soft touch, Blackpool and Swansea didn't even have to play well to take points away from the gate, that to me is the worst part.

1 hour ago, Always red said:

An occasional poster (but season ticket holders view) 

2 poor full backs. Jay De Silva too short and poor defensively and Simpson has no pace. 

Midfield still to play that killer ball albeit no pace in the forwards except Weinmann. 

No width to get to the by line and pull the ball back and no physical presence in the box.

Positives-Central defence in general and great to be back with a 20,000 crowd with some passion and enthusiasm 

Always red and always believe but its hard at times. Can't recall the last time I walked away from Ashton Gate having been really entertained. Hope for mid table fear it may be a tad worse  

Signings or changes required...??? Both full backs and some pace up front/someone to play on the shoulder of last defender OR go long to a target man (we don't have one) and midfield to get up and join in. Not enough goals from there 

That's called nailing it. You might be an occasional poster but judging by the above you should post more often. 

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm wary of 'turned the corner' statements, people still bang on about a terrible 0-0 draw against Leyton orient 10 years ago that was supposed to be our pathway to nirvana. 

I do think we are a soft touch, Blackpool and Swansea didn't even have to play well to take points away from the gate, that to me is the worst part.

Don't you agree we looked considerably better than we have done for a long time? We're still not great but for me there's clear signs of progress and and change in performances.

We've got a very long way to go but we've also come a long way since we talked at the end of the Holdens time in charge and I told you we had the worst City team I'd seen in my 25 years watching. 

13 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Thing is, I remember the shock of a decent Swansea coming to us in 1990 and turning us over 3-1 and no-one could believe it. John Salako was unplayable that day, but we were toxic in the stands, almost aghast that this could happen on our turf. Snarling and weekends ruined.

Today it was like a day out at the cinema watching a poor film. Ahhh well but we had a nice day out.

In days gone by Grimes would have been scared to touch the ball with three sides of the ground closing in him, not be able to roll it around on our carpet within a theatre for the passive like he was Socrates.

Hate it!

Nostalgia eh, its not what it used to be!

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Don't you agree we looked considerably better than we have done for a long time? We're still not great but for me there's clear signs of progress and and change in performances.

We've got a very long way to go but we've also come a long way since we talked at the end of the Holdens time in charge and I told you we had the worst City team I'd seen in my 25 years watching. 

Agree with this. We look infinitely better but how did we end up being so poor. We will be ok but christ The Gate is so nice for away teams and fans. 

1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

Agree with this. We look infinitely better but how did we end up being so poor. We will be ok but christ The Gate is so nice for away teams and fans. 

I think all stadiums are nice for away teams and fans these days, for better or for worse!

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How best to address such a malaise Wolf? 

What should we do as fans, if we can do anything at all?

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

How best to address such a malaise Wolf? 

What should we do as fans, if we can do anything at all?

What should be done cant be done anymore. I cannot think of many other clubs (admittedly taking world events and club context) into question that would settle for it at home.

The paying punter is king. Too many there for a day out.

The players need a rocket from the stands.

What should be done cant be done anymore. I cannot think of many other clubs (admittedly taking world events and club context) into question that would settle for it at home.

The paying punter is king. Too many there for a day out.

The players need a rocket from the stands.

Agree. You got one flank of AG which is occupied by hospitality, children and wags. The other flank by 8K loyal supporters, who with the greatest respect only get off their feet when they need a piss.

We give the whole end to away fans who use it to have an massive party. Players get a standing ovation at full time even when they are shit.

There is absolutely nothing intimidating about playing football at Ashton Gate.

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Agree. You got one flank of AG which is occupied by hospitality, children and wags. The other flank by 8K loyal supporters, who with the greatest respect only get off their feet when they need a piss.

We give the whole end to away fans who use it to have an massive party. Players get a standing ovation at full time even when they are shit.

My playing days are long gone and I was way off that level but I would lick my lips coming to our place.

No edge, no stick, no spite or bile. Dont get me wrong Im not asking for any kind of unsavoury nonsense but our atmosphere reminds me of the old Smiths Schoolboy Internationals of the 80’s/90’s.

I am sure it has been discussed here and in credit to LJ he couldnt get his head round it, but why do we give away fans a massive lovely noisy stand?

£30 notes to watch average away sides knock it around us whilst we blindly appreciate what a nice stadium we are in. Does my head in.

13 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'd wager there's little intimidating at playing at nearly all grounds in England these days.

I remember going to Ninian Park in the mid to late 2000s and it was genuinely terrifying as an away fan. A couple of years later in the Cardiff City stadium the intimidation factor had completely gone... The Cardiff fan base hadn't changed but the stadiums had been updated and the it wasn't scary anymore.

I'd be amazed if there's an intimidating away day in England outside of perhaps Millwall now.

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I'd wager there's little intimidating at playing at nearly all grounds in England these days.

I remember going to Ninian Park in the mid to late 2000s and it was genuinely terrifying as an away fan. A couple of years later in the Cardiff City stadium the intimidation factor had completely gone... The Cardiff fan base hadn't changed but the stadiums had been updated and the it wasn't scary anymore.

I'd be amazed if there's an intimidating away day in England outside of perhaps Millwall now.

Elland Road? I reckon theres a few in the lower leagues that might be tight and horrible. I worry in trying to get bigger we have forgotten we are a football club and not a recreation activity.

4 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Elland Road? I reckon theres a few in the lower leagues that might be tight and horrible. I worry in trying to get bigger we have forgotten we are a football club and not a recreation activity.

I dunno about Elland Road, I was there for the infamous Nicky Hunt game and thought the Leeds fans were pretty friendly on the whole!

I agree perhaps with some of the smaller ones, but I don't think we will end up playing many of them soon and to be honest I'd be a bit surprised if they're that bad, you don't hear horror stories about an away day at Sutton or Harrogate.

I think we need to accept the game has moved on, I love the tribal hostility of football but in reality it barely exists these days like it used to. 

Just now, DaveF said:

I dunno about Elland Road, I was there for the infamous Nicky Hunt game and thought the Leeds fans were pretty friendly on the whole!

I agree perhaps with some of the smaller ones, but I don't think we will end up playing many of them soon and to be honest I'd be a bit surprised if they're that bad, you don't hear horror stories about an away day at Sutton or Harrogate.

I think we need to accept the game has moved on, I love the tribal hostility of football but in reality it barely exists these days like it used to. 

Yeah agreed but I reckon away days at Wednesday, or Pompey, or Southend or maybe Peterboro could still muster more than our offering.

Just now, TomThumb84 said:

Yeah agreed but I reckon away days at Wednesday, or Pompey, or Southend or maybe Peterboro could still muster more than our offering.

I agree, more than our offering but I don't think it would be intimidating like the away days of 20 years ago.

We probably sit in the average category for atmosphere.

Urgghhh Average. With Brighton and Fulham, and Barnsley and lovely days out!

Fulham is a bloody lovely day out though isn't it? The Wetherspoons on the Thames, 20 minute walk through a lovely park to a nice old ground with views of the river? As lovely away days come it ranks highly... And we generally seem to do well there.

Just now, DaveF said:

Fulham is a bloody lovely day out though isn't it? The Wetherspoons on the Thames, 20 minute walk through a lovely park to a nice old ground with views of the river? As lovely away days come it ranks highly... And we generally seem to do well there.

Ha yeah you are right, lets see how we go this year mind!!

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We keep breaking club records for the wrong reasons, it happened with Johnson more than once and now pearson's getting in on the act. 

There is such a malaise within the club and in the fans, the club is a soft touch and team after team come here and take the piss. Its embarrassing. 

I echo your sentiments mate - long gone are the days of ashton gate being fortress. You can take the piss on and off the pitch as an away club at the moment fill the Atyeo with as many as you like and more often than not come away with 3 points on the pitch. It hurts to be honest - we are better than this..

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Not winning at home for 12 games is unforgivable and has almost been under-noticed in all of the other stuff going on.

Ashton Gate, in my first 25 years of supporting this club was a fortress. I cant help think its too nice for an away side to play at. Its not hostile enough and why cant we have our fans at both ends of the ground and shove the away up in a corner of the Dolman? Its an away teams paradise. Noisiest end of the ground they are in too.

Need to sort this out soon. Completely unacceptable to provide a comfy place to play for away teams and fans.

I've always questioned this aspect, as in I've never thought the Acoustics in the Atyeo all that, but maybe post redevelopment they are the best...but that's also possibly a reflection of the other stands and the modernisation- modern stands/stadia for whatever reason in the UK, seem to be somewhat lacking in the Acoustics dept. I know ours is a redeveloped as opposed to new ground but without generalising too much, it does seem the older or even relatively older the stand, the better for acoustics etc.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that, it may or may not be the best in 2021/post redevelopment but in it's own right, it's not the best in that sense for acoustics/sound travel. Better than the others maybe but no East End in that sense (what with its low roof, etc).

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've always questioned this aspect, as in I've never thought the Acoustics in the Atyeo all that, but maybe post redevelopment they are the best...but that's also possibly a reflection of the other stands and the modernisation- modern stands/stadia for whatever reason in the UK, seem to be somewhat lacking in the Acoustics dept. I know ours is a redeveloped as opposed to new ground but without generalising too much, it does seem the older or even relatively older the stand, the better for acoustics etc.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that, it may or may not be the best in 2021/post redevelopment but in it's own right, it's not the best in that sense for acoustics/sound travel. Better than the others maybe but no East End in that sense (what with its low roof, etc).

I like your posts, and I have tried to read that several times, but I am a few Malbecs down and pretty jarred off at our defeat so long and the short of it is; no single end for away fans. Its ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I like your posts, but I am a few Malbecs down and pretty jarred off at our defeat so long and the short of it is; no single end for away fans. Its ridiculous.

Split end behind a goal and all home fans behind the opposite goal like with the split East End could be useful. Always playing towards home fans at either end.

Cotts got it sorted, split the Atyeo, stick them in one corner, leave the other end empty except for sell out games, when it can be used as an overflow stand for home fans. 

The set up at the moment (away fans across the whole upper Atyeo) is decided by the safety officer not the football manager. 

Put the singing section in the middle of the South Stand.

On the pitch, keep a clean sheet, when did that last happen? That tends to shut the away fans up.

Archived