IGNORED

Antione Semenyo

CloudyThatchers

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He can't control the ball half the time. 

Being a physical specimen, and pacy, simply doesn't cut it at this level - not for BCFC at any rate.

At this level, if we want to be a serious team, we've never been good enough to indulge "project players" unless they're exceptional. 

A Bristol City team that has the likes of Semenyo, Pring, Scott - project players - as regular starters will struggle to win enough games at Chamionship level. Pearson - a strong arm centre half - isn't going to be impressed by Atkinson being put on his backside before Swansea score either. 

Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, Webster - they were projects, improved and then sold for profit. The current lot aren't in the same league.  

1. Do the 2 statements in bold not contradict each other quite notably?

2. Is it really fair to say that our current batch aren't in the same league as our former young player? How did Reid and Brownhill at 17 compare to Scott at 17? How did Webster in his first season at Championship level compare to Atkinson in his first season at Championship level?  etc.

1 minute ago, Marco the red said:

FFS he is raw, he didnt have pro development sorry heard this for the last 3 years. And please god don't play him central, you need composure, movement and decision making skills 3 things that are non existent.

Quite a negative person aren't you?

9 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

give it up man he’s not up to it. 

I'm not suggesting he is....I'm asking why Tomo has his opinion, because its too easy to look at goals and games and use that as a basis.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Being a physical specimen, and pacy, simply doesn't cut it at this level - not for BCFC at any rate.

At this level, if we want to be a serious team, we've never been good enough to indulge "project players" unless they're exceptional. 

A Bristol City team that has the likes of Semenyo, Pring, Scott - project players - as regular starters will struggle to win enough games at Chamionship level. Pearson - a strong arm centre half - isn't going to be impressed by Atkinson being put on his backside before Swansea score either. 

Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, Webster - they were projects, improved and then sold for profit. The current lot aren't in the same league as those players imo.  

(You know all this anyway)

I don't disagree....thats why I'd decide on his position and then work out whether he can make a go of it or not.  But I wouldn't be wanting to write him off so soon.

Is that really your response? Is that it? OK, Semenyo, class act, his decision making and composure is top notch and he is the next Andy Cole. 

Good lord...

Semenyo is 21, he has some good attributes and he has a lot to work on. 

He was very poor today when he came on but he's just come back from knee surgery.

He clearly has potential to be a good player. 

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

1. Do the 2 statements in bold not contradict each other quite notably? 

2. Is it really fair to say that our current batch aren't in the same league as our former young player? How did Reid and Brownhill at 17 compare to Scott at 17? How did Webster in his first season at Championship level compare to Atkinson in his first season at Championship level?  etc.

Huh?

We've never been good enough to indulge project players - unless they've been exceptional. Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, Webster were exceptional.

Semenyo as good as them? Literally laughing my ass off. Same for Pring, Scott, Atkinson. 

Scott might be - eventually. No way I'd be starting him every game, he needs to be dipped in and out.

We would not have conceded tonight if Baker was playing - he'd have given away a free kick after clattering someone. Job done. Instead we had players dancing round their handbags trying to deal with a bouncing ball in the middle of the park.

Atkinson might be pretty on the ball compared to Baker but that doesn't cut it for me.  

Yes, at league 1 or league 2. Does not have the brain.

Scott streets ahead of him already.

Theyre completely different styles of player.

Semenyo has physical attributes that are pretty rare, with the right coaching he will come good.

52 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So predictable this forum ?

He had knee surgery mid summer. He didn’t have a preseason. He had his first 60 min of game time 3 days ago in the u23s. Yet a lot of the forum expected an 8/10 performance in the 30 min he was on the pitch?

Get realistic here. Think it shows how desperate NP is for pace and power that he even played him tonight. Clearly has faith in him. He wasn’t great tonight but he is only going to improve this team. He is a calmer head away from a very good player. 

Some common sense. 

50 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I get the injury situation but he's not good enough at Championship level. That is not a knee jerk reaction, just the reality I'm afraid. 

58 BCFC appearances - 2 goals (both off his backside)

Yes, he is only 21 years of age but even at a lower level when on loan at Newport, he only managed 3 goals in 21 games. 

If an offer comes in (probably from Sunderland), I would take it!

The good thing is you’re not in charge of our transfer policy.

It was interesting that NP clearly likes him enough to rush him back ASAP after his injury. The gamble didn’t work but it was indicative of what he thinks of him.

1 hour ago, stoke giiford red said:

Does he really want to be at this club?

I'm baffled that so many 'big' clubs are interested in him as he can't shoot, cross or pass the ball very well

They're not interested, never were, never will be.

He may not be fit but showed again tonight what he has to offer. Nothing.

1 hour ago, Marco the red said:

He is dreadful and not good enough summed up by him leaving the ball despite being 2 yards onside.

Bloke is a lower league footballer in both ability and his mindset decision making is conference level.

You don't leave the bloody ball cos you might be offside especially when there are no other players in line to get the ball.

He isn't good enough, 2 goals in 50 both off his arse is testament to that.

Get rid.

1. He's 21.

2. He was offside, and he knew it.

3. He's come off a multi month injury, operation, rehab, and likely not match fit.

4. It's one game.

We simply don't have the options and can't fund a replacement at the minute. Let's at least judge him on appearances when fit.

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Huh?

We've never been good enough to indulge project players - unless they've been exceptional. Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, Webster were exceptional.

Semenyo as good as them? Literally laughing my ass off. Same for Pring, Scott, Atkinson. 

Scott might be - eventually. No way I'd be starting him every game, he needs to be dipped in and out.

We would not have conceded tonight if Baker was playing - he'd have given away a free kick after clattering someone. Job done. Instead we had players dancing round their handbags trying to deal with a bouncing ball in the middle of the park.

Atkinson might be pretty on the ball compared to Baker but that doesn't cut it for me.  

I'm not sure how you're defining your concept of "project players", but in the long run I absolutely feel that we should continue to focus on obtaining and developing young, hungry, talented players. 

The players you reference became exceptional. As you've noted in your original comment, they were "projects", they improved, and they were sold for profit. On what basis can we assume that our current "projects" won't improve in a similar fashion to those we've had in the past? 
Even if they don't, that doesn't make them worthless. A player doesn't need the potential to be sold for millions to a premier league team in order to be of use to us. (e.g Pring, Vyner)

I think you're slightly harsh on Semenyo, Pring, Scott and Atkinson. All have shown that they can be of use to us this season, and all could develop to a much greater standard. Atkinson, for example, has been excellent so far. Scott could definitely meet/surpass the standard of Reid/Brownhill.

IMO we don't "indulge" them, nor are they "project players" in the sense that they don't contribute in the present day. Tonight they were part of a side who put in a good performance deserving of 3 points. Could we do with further options to strengthen us? Yes. Does that mean the players above aren't of use/value to us? No.

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'm not sure how you're defining your concept of "project players", but in the long run I absolutely feel that we should continue to focus on obtaining and developing young, hungry, talented players. 

The players you reference became exceptional. As you've noted in your original comment, they were "projects", they improved, and they were sold for profit. On what basis can we assume that our current "projects" won't improve in a similar fashion to those we've had in the past? 
Even if they don't, that doesn't make them worthless. A player doesn't need the potential to be sold for millions to a premier league team in order to be of use to us. (e.g Pring, Vyner)

I think you're slightly harsh on Semenyo, Pring, Scott and Atkinson. All have shown that they can be of use to us this season, and all could develop to a much greater standard. Atkinson, for example, has been excellent so far. Scott could definitely meet/surpass the standard of Reid/Brownhill.

IMO we don't "indulge" them, nor are they "project players" in the sense that they don't contribute in the present day. Tonight they were part of a side who put in a good performance deserving of 3 points. Could we do with further options to strengthen us? Yes. Does that mean the players above aren't of use/value to us? No.

It's ridiculous that Scott's ability is even up for debate. He's 17 and already looks comfortable at Championship level, playing out of position at right wing. Sky flashed up a stat in the first half where he had made 4 passes in the match so far and had created 3 chances, not bad going.

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

In short - way off it tonight, but has massive promise and all the elements to be really good, however, we are now firmly in that zone where potential needs to = output, otherwise potential = overestimated ability, and could stagnate.

Totally Agreed, we really need to see antoine scoring some goals, once he has built up his match sharpness.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He had knee surgery mid summer. He didn’t have a preseason. He had his first 60 min of game time 3 days ago in the u23s. Yet a lot of the forum expected an 8/10 performance in the 30 min he was on the pitch?

Get realistic here. Think it shows how desperate NP is for pace and power that he even played him tonight. Clearly has faith in him. He wasn’t great tonight but he is only going to improve this team. He is a calmer head away from a very good 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Get realistic here. Think it shows how desperate NP is for pace and power that he even played him tonight. Clearly has faith in him. He wasn’t great tonight but he is only going to improve this team. He is a calmer head away from a very good player. 

Fair enough he had knee surgery in the summer but does that mean he can’t beat the first man on any of the crossing opportunities he had tonight which I reckon was about 4 or 5.

5 hours ago, firstdivision said:

It was interesting that NP clearly likes him enough to rush him back ASAP after his injury. The gamble didn’t work but it was indicative of what he thinks of him.

Thankfully not, but if I was, I wouldn't hold out much luck of getting top dollar for Antoine. 

Football is a game of opinions and that's why we all love it. I just can't see a championship player in him. That's not based on a 30 minute substitution appearance last night. I have formed that opinion over a much longer period. 

6 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Or perhaps NP recognised we have a major shortage of wide players and pace within the squad, and knows he doesn’t have the funds to put it right. Semenyo, COD, and now Pring are our only wide options. KP and Scott aren’t naturals in these positions. 

I could understand bringing Semenyo on last night with the aim of stretching the game. While it’s unfair to judge him on last night after coming back from injury, he just doesn’t have it at this level IMO and I would cash in if a decent offer comes in. 

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, Webster - they were projects, improved and then sold for profit. The current lot aren't in the same league as those players imo.  

(You know all this anyway)

I have a feeling that Scott will have a career that far exceeds that of Reid, Bryan, Brownhill and Webster. 

7 hours ago, bris red said:

I said it on another thread he is the carbon copy of Junior Bent. So much pace and endeavour but the end product is so poor its unbelievable.. I think Nige will be forced to stick with him but he just doesn’t look like a natural footballer to me.. a great athlete but his footballing brain is western conference standard at best IMO.

Have to agree. Watching the game last night, I thought the same - Junior Bent mk2

1 hour ago, tin said:

Or perhaps NP recognised we have a major shortage of wide players and pace within the squad, and knows he doesn’t have the funds to put it right. Semenyo, COD, and now Pring are our only wide options. KP and Scott aren’t naturals in these positions. 

I could understand bringing Semenyo on last night with the aim of stretching the game. While it’s unfair to judge him on last night after coming back from injury, he just doesn’t have it at this level IMO and I would cash in if a decent offer comes in. 

So if he doesn’t have it as this level, why would a decent offer come in for him? Illogical conclusion.

Give the lad a bit of time. He’s 21, had no pre-season, and was one of the few players to show a spark in a dreadful team in the second half of the season. Every team put two players on him - that’s how rubbish they thought he was .

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

So if he doesn’t have it as this level, why would a decent offer come in for him? Illogical conclusion.

Give the lad a bit of time. He’s 21, had no pre-season, and was one of the few players to show a spark in a dreadful team in the second half of the season. Every team put two players on him - that’s how rubbish they thought he was .

Because plenty of PL clubs are happy to spend a few million to take a punt on players who might or might not make it. That few million, assuming an offer came in, could be reinvested back into the squad. That’s logical IMO because I don’t think AS will make the grade at this level or above. Naturally, I hope he proves me wrong. 

Edit: we were far from dreadful last night. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Junior Bent? (one for the older posters).

You should have a look at the headed goal Ago scored at Trumpton in the 4-2 again & that was by no means unique, Junior was a very decent crosser of the ball, lightning quick & brave.

He was a really inconsistent finisher, but this myth that he couldn’t cross is nonsense.

Thought Semenyo was poor last night, played as though his mind were going through his possible options, ruling them all out then finally, begrudgingly, defaulting to pass. Needs to know when to release the ball early for the benefit of the situation even if he is under no pressure to do so. Doing that, ironically, would make him a much less predictable and, in turn, more threatening player.

That said I’m surprised by the amount of negativity on this thread. This season has to be about clean slates (for everyone) and he clearly has attributes which make him not only a threat but actually one of our most directly threatening players - if not the most. Talk of selling him or him being L1 at best etc. is massively premature.

Archived