IGNORED

Antione Semenyo

CloudyThatchers

1 minute ago, tin said:

Not necessarily, no. Fosu-Henry cost Brentford around £700k, he’s far better than Semenyo. There are players like that, for example, out there. Owen Dale at Crewe might be another. 

Atkinson’s signing looks astute, as does James. Therefore, I’ve got more faith in NP to use whatever funds wisely. All hypothetical of course, and I’ll happily be the first to eat humble pie if AS makes the grade with us. 

I’d like to start by say I get your point. Possibly we could sell Semenyo and bring in an upgrade for a good price. 

Saying that, you mention Fosu-Henry. Far better than AS but in terms of goals and assists per minutes played are very similar. AS has 7 goal contributions in his last 45 championship appearance. Fosu-Henry has 9 in 50. AS is 4 years younger and played in a far worse side. 

Someone said in the Andre Silva thread that he is the type of signing that Brentford make and turn into a world class player. Think you could say the same about AS. The environment has not been the best for him here. 

Sell him or keep him. Idk the right answer. You said you have faith that NP would use funds in the right way. Does that faith not extend to choosing to keep and play AS? 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Comparing Antoine Semenyo to Junior Bent is just hilarious..........and ridiculous.  Gary Lineker watch out there's a football expert after your job ?

In my defence i had a lot of thatchers on board when i posted that last night ? there are similarities undoubtedly between the two though IMO!

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

In my defence i had a lot of thatchers on board when i posted that last night ? there are similarities undoubtedly between the two though IMO!

The only similarity between Semenyo and Bent is pace. Both very quick but Semenyo has far more to his game than just pace. That was all Junior had.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

All I can say is Bobby Reid. Written off by so many for so long. 

Was reading this thread and about to post the very same.

Squad as it is, we’ll likely see more of Semenyo than we did of Bobby while he develops, as can’t really afford to send any players with a bit of championship experience on loan, so imagine he’ll get a few negative posts on him due to that.

Might be good, might not be; wasn’t great yesterday but only just back, and have seen him play well against better teams before.

As with this whole season, patience before judgement is the approach I’m going to personally take.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Fair Enough..........You are excused  Ha!  ?   PS. You are correct..........they were/are both black young men

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Fair Enough..........You are excused  Ha!  ?   PS. You are correct..........they were/are both black young men

Always weird how black players get compared to other black players that they are nothing like. Semenyo has been compared to Junior Bent and Aaron Brown on this thread. He’s like neither of them! Baffling 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Someone said in the Andre Silva thread that he is the type of signing that Brentford make and turn into a world class player. Think you could say the same about AS. The environment has not been the best for him here. 

Watch Semenyo's attempts at shooting. He has neither the brains nor the technique. That's nothing to do with environment.

Where City find themselves at the moment is not a place - in my obviously subjective view - in which we can indulge numerous youngsters whilst they learn their trade (the place we find ourselves in at the moment being a fight to stay in the division). 

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Watch Semenyo's attempts at shooting. He has neither the brains nor the technique. That's nothing to do with environment.

Where City find themselves at the moment is not a place - in my obviously subjective view - in which we can indulge numerous youngsters whilst they learn their trade. 

AS might still be a youngster but he has some Championship experience from LJs days and of course last season under Nige so it’s not as if he’s as raw as the likes of Scott, Conway and Bell.

I genuinely feel that all he needs a goal or two to give him the confidence he seems to lack and imo that desire to score has led to some of the wild shots he’s taken.

If he can start finding the net sooner than rather than later I reckon we’ll have a star in the making before too long.

29 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Where City find themselves at the moment is not a place - in my obviously subjective view - in which we can indulge numerous youngsters whilst they learn their trade (the place we find ourselves in at the moment being a fight to stay in the division). 

So Antoine Semenyo has no brains?. ..........that's not in the least bit offensive?   ? ?  I believe your post says more about you than it says about Antoine Semenyo?

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think that fact he wasn’t academy trained is the exact reason to persevere. Millwall was probably his best performance for us but certainly not the only one to challenge an assessment of him. We have only seen him in a bad side. Often our only outlet and often double teamed(was last night). You are right, it is probably more likely he doesn’t add to his game. That is something we won’t know until time passes. What do we do with him until then? Sell him cheaply like we did Bolasie? Or persevere and see if he progresses? Not sure there is another option short of selling him for mid 7 figures. Until that offer comes I’d rather NP and our other coaches work on him

Watford (h) too.

It’s quite moronic to think that improving the football brain and improving execution in the final third is not possible for a 21 year old. Look at what has happened to Sterling over the course of his career. An example from the Championship would be Adama Traore, who it only started to click for just before his move to Wolves. His goal involvements were remarkably unspectacular before that. 

What cannot be taught, is the ability to be able to glide past players with pace and having the power to compliment that to stop you being knocked off balance or off the ball, as we have seen plenty of from Semenyo in the past.

But alas this is OTIB, a 21 year old with only 1 full season at this level and who is just returning from injury has a poor 30 minutes and his whole BCFC career is judged on that. 

Bad game last night yes, but did anyone not notice how much space he was given by Swansea who did not want to press him, and the one time he did drive inside no defender got near him? 

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So Antoine Semenyo has no brains?. ..........that's not in the least bit offensive?   ? ?  I believe your post says more about you than it says about Antoine Semenyo?

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, isn't it? Football brains is what I obviously meant. Happy now, flower? 

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

It’s quite moronic to think that improving the football brain and improving execution in the final third is not possible for a 21 year old.

Nearly 100 games now and precious little sign of meaningful improvement, in either brains or technique. How long are you willing to give him in the context of a team that's got a fight on its hands to avoid relegation?

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Nearly 100 games now and precious little sign of meaningful improvement, in either brains or technique. How long are you willing to give him in the context of a team that's got a fight on its hands to avoid relegation?

He has stepped up in each of his last seasons? He was in league 1 the season before last. I don’t see how you can say he has not improved when he has gone up a league in each season.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Adama Traore is a great example. I remember one game for Boro where I didn't even care anymore that he would inevitably beat one or two city players because I was so sure he'd completely mess up the final cross or shot. But wow look at him now. Improved massively.

Traore is in fact a ridiculous example. He started at Barcelona for goodness sake, so was obviously in possession of the requisite basics, and to a high standard, from the start. Whereas Semenyo isn't in possession of the requisite basics, even after nearly 100 games - hence my antipathy. 

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, isn't it? Football brains is what I obviously meant. Happy now, flower? 

Blah Blah Blah !00 games Blah Blah No Technique Blah Blah Not Meaningful Blah Blah.......... Give a 21 year old kid a break?.                                    

24 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Traore is in fact a ridiculous example. He started at Barcelona for goodness sake, so was obviously in possession of the requisite basics, and to a high standard, from the start. Whereas Semenyo isn't in possession of the requisite basics, even after nearly 100 games - hence my antipathy. 

Is it ridiculous? Adama had played 150 league games before his move to Wolves which was a head scratcher at the time because of his lack of production. That is with a better academy upbringing. Obviously his pace and power is almost one of a kind but that was the basis of his potential. Potential he started hitting at about 23 years of age. 

I can get not rating someone. It is all opinions. However, I just can’t fathom saying he’ll never be at the standard so early in his career. There are numerous examples on both sides of the arguments where no one can say for sure how he will end up. For now, NP seems to think he is a necessity and that is good enough for me

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Blah Blah Blah !00 games Blah Blah No Technique Blah Blah Not Meaningful Blah Blah.......... Give a 21 year old kid a break?.                                    

I still think he hasn’t got back to full fitness/mobility yet from his injury

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

You miss the point. A 21 year old in possession of brains and technique can have all the time they need. I'm all for that. I look forward to watching Scott's development as much as you.

But a 21 year old without those basics has, imo, too much ground to make up, especially at a club with umpteen other issues to address while struggling to stay in this division.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

For now, NP seems to think he is a necessity and that is good enough for me

I agree he is a necessity - at the moment - because he's the only player we've got with pace. You could see Swansea not wanting to get too tight to him out wide in case he burst in behind. Plenty of times he was pushed inside, then crowded out. 

But in the long term I just can't see him getting up to the required standard. Imo. 

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You miss the point. A 21 year old in possession of brains and technique can have all the time they need. I'm all for that. I look forward to watching Scott's development as much as you.

But a 21 year old without those basics has, imo, too much ground to make up, especially at a club with umpteen other issues to address while struggling to stay in this division.

I agree he is a necessity - at the moment - because he's the only player we've got with pace. You could see Swansea not wanting to get too tight to him out wide in case he burst in behind. Plenty of times he was pushed inside, then crowded out. 

But in the long term I just can't see him getting up to the required standard. Imo. 

You said Luke Freeman didn’t have the brains to succeed in the championship either. He’s done pretty well for himself. 

13 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We will have to agree to disagree...because i see Semenyo turning out to be a valuable asset, who we might end up selling for a lot of money in the future.............time will tell ( And i will be sure to remind you of your pessimism)

I'm sure that Semenyo will develop as a player.  At 21, he is still learning.

But with only a goal every 30 appearances, I don't think that player will be deployed as a striker.  Unless he's about 6 feet from an empty net he never seems to want to take a shot. 

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

It wasnt long ago that many said Massengo wouldn’t make the grade. Have patience 

Good point. If he keeps improving it won’t be long before the big boys come knocking on our door. 
He’s going to be worth some serious money!

Archived