IGNORED

Antione Semenyo

CloudyThatchers

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Good to have him fit and available as an option. Decent cross for the goal. One hirundo rustica  doesn't make a summer, nor one assist a footballer, but well done today young man.

Agreed MM. By the same token, one poor sub appearance last week after returning from surgery doesn’t make him “not up to it at this level”.

Positive performance and I am sure he will grow as the season goes. Seems that Pearson likes him and trusts him to give him the chance to impress again off the bench, and boy did he reward him. I am really excited to see his development under Nigel Pearson.

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Agreed MM. By the same token, one poor sub appearance last week after returning from surgery doesn’t make him “not up to it at this level”.

Positive performance and I am sure he will grow as the season goes. Seems that Pearson likes him and trusts him to give him the chance to impress again off the bench, and boy did he reward him. I am really excited to see his development under Nigel Pearson.

Agreed. Although - to be clear - I decided he's "not up to it at this level" yonks ago not after one sub appearance last week ?

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Changed the game when he came on. That shot is what he's capable of. And that cross was perfection for Weimann's amazing volley. 

Think that’s a bit of an overstatement and unfair on the other 10.

Was it his shot or Vyner’s?

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

How is that unfair on the other 10? 

I thought he had one good powerful shot that was going in the right corner. And he created the goal with a very good hanging cross to the fair post, and generally brought more pace to our side that Pearson said we needed.

Also thought Massengo was very good in the middle from that point. Bringing on Semenyo allowed Massengo to play in his preferred role.

Because the way you’ve worded it?  If you are saying he did well when he came on, I agree.  But generally we were already playing pretty well.  If I’ve misinterpreted what you are saying, then okeedokee.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because the way you’ve worded it?  If you are saying he did well when he came on, I agree.  But generally we were already playing pretty well.  If I’ve misinterpreted what you are saying, then okeedokee.

I'd say he added a spark, it allowed Massengo to go back into the middle as well

Just now, JonDolman said:

Thought we needed him at that point in the game to add some pace going forward and our midfield needed Massengo's energy in there. So it was the perfect move by Pearson. Individually the team were performing fine but imo it was a big decision by Pearson in us retaking the lead and seeing out the game.

Also thought Scott played a vital part in seeing out the win in his very brief sub appearance as he put in a great challenge on the far side after the ball switched across the box. If Scott misses that challenge then the Cardiff player would have been on the byline with Dasilva not close enough to stop a cross and 4 Cardiff players on 4 of our players around the 6 yard box, but even worse than that, it would have been 3 on 2 at the near post.

Pearson got everything spot on today. To be fair he hasn't got much wrong all season, and I do agree with him we could have won every game. Boro would have been a bit undeserved in some ways, but we were level and on top for a bit of that game.

We managed the game well overall didn’t we?  We had lots of good moments too.

Antoine is so two-footed, he really is comfortable off either.  He dug that cross out from slightly behind him too.  I still can’t make my mind up about him…I’ll just stop I think…and see what happens.

Massengo nice to see him play a good, unselfish role for the team.  Him and Zak took 10 mins to get their positioning sorted, but they had good combos after that.  Then nice to see him back in CM at the end.

How well does James press?  He really puts his opponent under pressure.

In summary….all good. ?

54 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I thought we were the much better team for the first bit of the 2nd half. Martin unlucky with the header.

Then Cardiff scored and were looking the better side. King wasn't playing particularly well at that point of the game imo. Massengo on the right doesn't offer a direct threat on the break like Semenyo does as Cardiff were looking the better side we needed to some kind of change.

Semenyo on probably helped most as he helped bring pace and power, making things happen and relieving pressure. So it was either bring off Massengo or King, and I was thinking at the time I would rather have Massengo's speed and energy in the in front of our defence than King. 

Massengo very cleverly back heeled it from a central position outside the box to Semenyo for the cross and Weimann great finish. It all worked out well as we saw out the game without too many scary moments.

Nige said post-match something along the lines of HNM can run forever, so definitely made sense to change it the way he did.

Last week against Swansea, posters were criticising AS as a waste of space, this was a guy who  had just come back from an operation and missed a lot of pre season?  Today Antoine is a world beater who changed the game apparently.................this forum excels at being Knee- jerk Central, although i guess i should be used to it by now?

I think what we are seeing is that Pearson is moulding a squad thst is compact, but that he can rely on whoever he picks/brings on will do the job he asks of them, and that squad includes players that will always be maligned and written off by others. 

The thing is he doesn't care what we think of them, only his own opinion. So he will continue to use Semenyo, Simpson, Dasilva, Vyner and a fit O'Dowda, and some of us will moan about things they have done in the past, instead of getting behind them.

On 21/08/2021 at 09:08, GrahamC said:

You should have a look at the headed goal Ago scored at Trumpton in the 4-2 again & that was by no means unique, Junior was a very decent crosser of the ball, lightning quick & brave.

He was a really inconsistent finisher, but this myth that he couldn’t cross is nonsense.

Can't be doing with reading the full thread without picking up on this!

Remember the 50 yard pass away at Swindon that put God in on goal?

(Apols if someone else has already mentioned it).

It wasn't for God, it was for Lewie.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Christ. I didn't even listen to the commentary of the clip I posted.

IT WAS FROM GOD TO BENT.

How stupid would I feel, if I cared.

Sorry.

Hang on, 'Saga? How much exactly is the accommodation?'

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

God Taylor there with one of the greatest passes of all time.

On 22/08/2021 at 09:51, And Its Smith said:

You said Luke Freeman didn’t have the brains to succeed in the championship either. He’s done pretty well for himself. 

On 22/08/2021 at 11:05, Bobbie said:

It wasnt long ago that many said Massengo wouldn’t make the grade. Have patience 

Yes so many experts on here that haven't really got an effing clue!!!

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

People speculatively offer opinions based on what they see. It's a fans forum.

None of us watch them train 5 days a week. So are more balanced, some reactionary.

Welcome to OTIB!

OpInions are fair enough, but some think they know better than those who have been in the game for most of their lives.

Maybe that's why we are still only fans.

On 21/08/2021 at 13:08, BTRFTG said:His successful career owes everything to John Salako who, for those of us who saw him single-handedly destroy us for Swansea, knew a thing or two about wing play and apparently more as to how to coach it. Had Bolasie not gone to Palace he'd be playing non-league today. 

I remember that game and, as you say, John Salako was outstanding - he completely mastered the game.

The only similar performance I can recall - pre-season frIendlies involving Suarez, Eto or Sno excepted - was JET, when he played for Doncaster under SO’D.

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember that game and, as you say, John Salako was outstanding - he completely mastered the game.

The only similar performance I can recall - pre-season frIendlies involving Suarez, Eto or Sno excepted - was JET, when he played for Doncaster under SO’D.

In JET's case, he also wore those amazing coloured boots - dazzling....

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

Changed the game for us yesterday and a tactical master stroke by our gaffer!!

The lad lacks a little bit of quality especially in the last third . If he had a more of that he wouldn’t be with us . Consistency is the key word . 

I would also add confidence, he’s quick, powerful and has that precious ability to just ghost past players and reminds me a bit of Saka at Arsenal. If NP can get him running at teams then he will be a handful for anyone 

Archived