IGNORED

Massengo - Brilliant.

Waconda

34 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Playing in a Sky game one week before the transfer window closes.

That was my impression too. By far the best I’ve seen him play, but like I said I’m hoping that performance wasn’t a ‘shop window’ game as it looks like we have found a decent partnership.

If he does go, then hopefully it will be for a hefty fee though as he has shown what he is capable of. Consistency and age being a factor.

It's interesting because I thought Massengo had a good game but I was more impressed with James personally...

Thought some of the 'tricks and skills' from Massengo often came from a poor touch or holding onto the ball too long. Not a criticism as it's great he was able to get out of those situations but would love to see him not put himself there in the first place.

I think for high intensity games like last night a fully fit Joe Williams (if one exists now) would have been perfect. Him and James doing the dirty work with HNM buzzing about would have been really effective.

Really hope this can act as a catalyst for Massengo though and we see those performances all season. Swansea under Martin seem a really unique side to play against and hopefully James and HNM are just as effective together against other sides. Think the spine of the team is much better than last year, just feel we need a bit of luck to fall our way and the mood could be very different!

22 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

It's interesting because I thought Massengo had a good game but I was more impressed with James personally...

James played really well too, what we’ve missed in the centre, but this the Massengo appreciation thread ?

Han was superb, great to watch and would like to see a full season of that and see him grow from there.

Can’t believe Holden didn’t rate him. It’s quite possible Holdens lack of confidence rubbed off on our squad and we’re seeing it built back back up after a proper pre-season.

49 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Massengo had a good game overall and was great in midfield. When called to defend though you see the weakness in his game.

Oh well. You can't have everything...

I would challenge that... It depends what elements of defending you're referring to because he does loads of defensive work in the midfield; closing down, tracking runners, interceptions, he even won a couple of headers with a big leap.

If you mean out-muscling a striker or blood and guts tackles, then no obviously not his game.

People forget how young he is. Didn't catch last night but I've always thought he's a special talent.

Given enough game time and under a coach with Pearson's experience he will flourish. It'll also be great learning for him playing alongside King and James. 

I think he will grow into a key player for us this season and probably be a guaranteed starter by November time. 

58 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Can’t believe Holden didn’t rate him.

It beggars belief that he preferred the likes of Brunt and Lansbury. A disastrous appointment made to entrench Ashton's power. May have put us back years.

What on earth was Steve doing allowing it to happen?

15 minutes ago, mozo said:

I would challenge that... It depends what elements of defending you're referring to because he does loads of defensive work in the midfield; closing down, tracking runners, interceptions, he even won a couple of headers with a big leap.

If you mean out-muscling a striker or blood and guts tackles, then no obviously not his game.

Often on the wrong side of the person he is trying to mark/dispossess. 

Defending isn't what he's in the team for, so we need to recognise that.

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought he had improved the defensive side of his game massively on last nights showing. In the past he has often hid after being clattered once or twice but he certainly got stuck in last night both attacking and defending. He did his fair share and I agree with you that’s not really his game. He certainly was targeted for a few hefty challenges but that made him stronger.

Both him and Weimann must have covered every inch of the ground, and more, and Swansea barely coped with them. Nice to watch, thought it was a good game for a neutral on Sky. The points should have been shared though.

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

He had some eye catching moments and has massive potential but I'd like him to add a bit more control to his game and incisive passing. Thought James was our best player last night 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

That was my impression too. By far the best I’ve seen him play, but like I said I’m hoping that performance wasn’t a ‘shop window’ game as it looks like we have found a decent partnership.

If he does go, then hopefully it will be for a hefty fee though as he has shown what he is capable of. Consistency and age being a factor.

Doesn't really happen like that anymore. Maybe 10 years ago +.

Clubs have far more sophisticated scouting networks and databases - if a team was interested, they'd have known about him well before last night. 

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It beggars belief that he preferred the likes of Brunt and Lansbury. A disastrous appointment made to entrench Ashton's power. May have put us back years.

What on earth was Steve doing allowing it to happen?

A total disaster. Clubs we look to emulate in various ways (Brentford or Swansea for example) would've never have made such a ridiculous appointment. 

I really wanted it to work out for him as he was clearly a good man, but I think most of us knew it wasn't going to. 

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah agree he's not a defensive midfielder. This will be another season without one of those. I do think he contributes defensively in his way though.

Simply an exceptional talent. Shows composure, touch, technique, an ability to slow or quicken the game when needed, has good awareness for someone so young & he’s not afraid to work hard. He will thrive with better players around him, has by far the highest ceiling of any player at City for me. Enjoy him while he’s here. COYR 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn't really happen like that anymore. Maybe 10 years ago +.

Clubs have far more sophisticated scouting networks and databases - if a team was interested, they'd have known about him well before last night. 

Well for once you could be wrong. Let us hope we got him just in time. He was Man of the match for me yesterday and every time he touched the ball showed talent all over it. He has a great future and let us hope we can keep him

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Massengo had a good game overall and was great in midfield. When called to defend though you see the weakness in his game.

Oh well. You can't have everything...

I thought he played very well. There was no weakness in his game yesterday. In fact he did defend very well and intercepted play by Swansea going forward. If that is not defensive play then what is.

He is starting to show vision and when he does win the ball 9 times out of 10 he then plays the ball from a defensive base to an attacking format.

He is the complete package and can only get better as the season progresses under the wing of the senior players and NP.

Technically excellent, very good 'engine' can spot a pass and has bulked up. I thought he pinches the ball well , won headers and his all round game is improving. As for shop window, we got him because of one thing, when many clubs in Europe wanted him, we all but guaranteed games. I have no doubt a big club will come in for him, with luck we will keep him for a bit as we build.  

I don’t get this on Sky performance, it’s not like Pep or the rest tune into Sky to see what players are an option. 
Or also the  looking for a move performance.  Nige said he wants 10 other HNM on the pitch. He’s got his managers appreciation. He will move on, and I’m hoping in a years time or so, and then it will be remember when we had him memories. 

He's better on the ball and has more energy than King that's for sure. I would say Kings positional sense is better mind and he's more of a goal threat.

I wonder if that's all that's preventing Massengo being a top player is his positional sense? He certainly has the ability on the ball. Hopefully playing alongside James will really help him.

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Great game from a hugely promising talent. Some of his moves where he pirouetted, not sure that’s even a word, to get out of trouble we’re Houdini like.

I don’t think even he would say it was a 10 out of 10  performance, a couple mistakes and an occasional lack of composure.
I think he’ll get better and better, we  may not see the best of him for a couple years yet when I reckon he’ll be the real deal……hopefully with us 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thought he had a great game last night, you can see an improvement in his game from last season already.

Think the manager and coaches will definitely be aware of the lack of composure issue. His body seems to arrive at situations before his brain does if you know what I mean (Reading goal was the prime example), and this often comes from being an over eager young player. For me this is the one real obvious side to his game that really needs working on. When its sorted he'll be a hell of a player.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Well for once you could be wrong. Let us hope we got him just in time. He was Man of the match for me yesterday and every time he touched the ball showed talent all over it. He has a great future and let us hope we can keep him

What would I be 'wrong' about there? Clubs scouting is far more sophisticated now than it's ever been. Players don't just randomly come into their crosshairs after a good performance vs Swansea City on Sky.

In the early 2000s or even 10 years ago it was different.. but not now. Most clubs, even at our level, have enormous and sophisticated data driven scouting networks. Any club that might potentially want Massengo would've already been aware of him. 

Archived