IGNORED

Dasilva

red84

Laird was excellent, I believe Martin had him at MK last season.

It is only one game (& the first I’ve seen at the match this season) but I thought Jay was awful & would have seriously considered keeping Pring on & substituting him.

Clearly he is one of many back from long term injury but he needs to do far better than that. Swansea were also targeting him aerially with diagonal balls and he looked vulnerable, so goodness knows what that means for games against sides like Cardiff.

Incidentally there is another Danny Simpson pile on from certain posters but in reality he had a far better game, which doesn’t fit the narrative, does it?

Undeniably poor, but we know Jay can do better than that.

As a defender,  he has to work hard to overcome the height advantage virtually everyone has over him. Usually he does this by taking the ball from their feet when they've brought it down. Last night though, this ability kind of deserted him. 

Sometimes we put him under unnecessary pressure by playing high crossfield balls to him. C'mon lads. Think!

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Undeniably poor, but we know Jay can do better than that.

As a defender,  he has to work hard to overcome the height advantage virtually everyone has over him. Usually he does this by taking the ball from their feet when they've brought it down. Last night though, this ability kind of deserted him. 

Sometimes we put him under unnecessary pressure by playing high crossfield balls to him. C'mon lads. Think!

He's not up to speed yet clearly. Needs games.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

He's not up to speed yet clearly. Needs games.

Agree. Maybe lost a bit of confidence too - in a previous interview Pearson mentioned that he seemed reluctant to overlap Pring. Semenyo also is another one who needs games - he was not quite at it when he came on (his crosses especially). He still caused the Swansea defence some problems though so I don’t subscribe to the view that some others on here have that he isn’t good enough and should be sold - some people are just so knee-jerk! 

Defensively he is always poor and gets targeted due to being weak and small. 

He has never really shown an abundance of quality going forward but normally his attacking is better than defending.

For me his position and RB are key areas that need to be fixed 

8 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Defensively he is always poor and gets targeted due to being weak and small. 

He has never really shown an abundance of quality going forward but normally his attacking is better than defending.

For me his position and RB are key areas that need to be fixed 

He will be fine. He's had a tough time with injuries but it's clear he's a very good player.

His height can't be helped but the flip side is a lower centre of gravity which makes him quicker on the turn compared to the cumbersome Vyner. 

RB obviously needs strengthening and then either a wide forward or centre forward. LB will be ok once he's fully fit and on top form. 

He has been disappointing so far. Pearson’s comment after Reading about him not wanting to overlap at the moment suggests there not something quite right. Lack of confidence? Whether that be in his ability or body after those injuries. If so, may take a bit of time to build it up and have full confidence to play as we know he can. 

For me the disappointing thing is his positioning, well inside which means that diagonal ball is easy to play over him to their wide man hugging the touch line who had time to bring the ball down and control it before Jay got to him. In effect the same tactic employed by us (and exploited by opposition teams) frequently over the last few seasons to our detriment. 

13 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

For me the disappointing thing is his positioning, well inside which means that diagonal ball is easy to play over him to their wide man hugging the touch line who had time to bring the ball down and control it before Jay got to him. In effect the same tactic employed by us (and exploited by opposition teams) frequently over the last few seasons to our detriment. 

It’s how full backs are meant to defend when the balls not on their side. Every professional team in the land will play their full backs as such. Stops a huge gap between CH and FB that can cause even worse problems. 

I've never seen it with him.  He's short and tidy with the ball which is why LJ liked him but he's weak defensively both physically and mentally and his oft-praised attacking play is largely mythical. He has no composure in front of goal too. 

Pring has to be given the nod at left back when we have COD and Semenyo fit.  One of them in front of Pring would look better (and I'm no fan of COD).

I’ve said before Dasilva needs to pull his socks up and start delivering as last night that was a shambles of a performance. Been on easy street far too long. 

Time and again he looks to play the easy ball inside rather than get up that wing to help out Pring.

The one opportunity he had in the second half to put in a decent ball he banged it straight into Weimann. 

I’d almost swap Pring and Dasilva around if we play both, but then you lose any attacking intent. He’s in real danger now once O Dowda is fit and the emergence of Pring. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He will be fine. He's had a tough time with injuries but it's clear he's a very good player.

His height can't be helped but the flip side is a lower centre of gravity which makes him quicker on the turn compared to the cumbersome Vyner. 

RB obviously needs strengthening and then either a wide forward or centre forward. LB will be ok once he's fully fit and on top form. 

Is it?

I personally don't think he's had an 8/10 game in near 18 months. At least.

13 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

O’Dowda back for Cardiff and Pring to LB I wonder..?

A possibility in a horses for courses match v Cardiff.  Not against it generally either….but I do like Pring’s aggression that bit further forward.  He really imposes himself on his opponent.  Laird quiet first half.

7 minutes ago, AG City said:

I’ve said before Dasilva needs to pull his socks up and start delivering as last night that was a shambles of a performance. Been on easy street far too long. 

Time and again he looks to play the easy ball inside rather than get up that wing to help out Pring.

The one opportunity he had in the second half to put in a decent ball he banged it straight into Weimann. 

I’d almost swap Pring and Dasilva around if we play both, but then you lose any attacking intent. He’s in real danger now once O Dowda is fit and the emergence of Pring. 

Bit harsh, been injured, so not sure “on easy street” is really fair is it?

The modern game is not “knock it up the wing”, players stop those passing lanes quite easily.  The fact that Jay plays with his head up, means that he can pass inside….a quality some full-backs lack, who all they can do is bomb it down the wing.

He wasn’t at his best by any stretch last night, but he is a key player in our ability to pass from the back, and him and Atkinson should compliment each other nicely in the passing patterns.

He is able to retain possession and progress us up the pitch.

Here are his passing combinations this season.  It’s not all defining, but shows what he brings.  I don’t disagree that we need a bit more from him though.

C3CAE198-C916-4B37-A05E-372C22A8EBAE.jpeg

425347C0-4F1B-4AF3-94F6-E5FE512E3C2F.jpeg

A321FA41-E934-483A-9D03-3BE0E7ED8C88.jpeg

51BB7A1D-D29D-4E7B-B5E2-D69625583852.jpeg

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My opinion is if it is a LB then JD isn’t good enough. If it’s LWB then yes. 

Archived