IGNORED

Thoughts on last night now I’ve slept on it.

BCFC1512

We actually played pretty well! Flew out of the traps that Nige said he wanted. If one of our earlier chances go in it’s a totally different game. BUT..

Sorry Danny Simpson isn’t good enough, we need a RB and some pace in midfield. Swansea’s Right winger done us time and time again by pure pace which we lack! Maybe that can be semenyo when fit.

Plus side to last night, we created lots of chances, both home games have been a massive improvement on last season, HNM dunno what Nige has said to him but it’s working, class performance, Pring also impressive.

disappointed we lost but if we play like that at home all season we’ll be fine.

hopefully a RB and winger come on before the deadline.

What is this obsession with Simpson?

He was by no means our worst performer last night yet repeatedly gets singled out by posters.

Don’t get me wrong I would have preferred us to have never signed him but now we have, he really isn’t our biggest issue.

For me we still need better options out wide, maybe the much maligned O’Dowda will help & Semenyo, who was poor when he came on, but in fairness will be rusty after just an hour for the 23s, might have to be persevered with, otherwise Janneh seems the next cab on the rank.

Next 2 home games are vital, however we get it, we badly need a home win.

I think while it's true that Simpson is only a stop gap at right back, he was not the worst player last night. He struggled in the 1st half with little support from Scott, but in the 2nd half he covered really well when Atkinson and Kalas pushed forward and some of his passing was really crisp and gave us momentum. He is also really good at making sure a player is not going to win a ball, even if he isn't likely to win it himself.

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

I’m our biggest moaner and critic but it is so much better than what we’ve had to put up with these last three seasons, we’re heading the right way

I said to a couple of people on the way out of the ground that, if we play like that and get a bit more clinical, we will win more than we lose.

23 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

We actually played pretty well! Flew out of the traps that Nige said he wanted. If one of our earlier chances go in it’s a totally different game. BUT..

Sorry Danny Simpson isn’t good enough, we need a RB and some pace in midfield. Swansea’s Right winger done us time and time again by pure pace which we lack! Maybe that can be semenyo when fit.

Plus side to last night, we created lots of chances, both home games have been a massive improvement on last season, HNM dunno what Nige has said to him but it’s working, class performance, Pring also impressive.

disappointed we lost but if we play like that at home all season we’ll be fine.

hopefully a RB and winger come on before the deadline.

I'd like to know what you actually thought Danny Simpson did wrong last night, or is he now the new scapegoat?

It's time Wells was put up top instead of Martin if we're only playing one of them, there's no way Wells would of missed that chance.

Last season after going a goal down the players would have given up and we would have lost 2 or 3 nil we are far stronger unit this year and the players seem to really be trying for NP

We need a couple of decent wingers and a good striker.  Martin cant play twice a week (Derby fans used to say that years ago) Semenyo isn't a winger his crossing is awful i would probably cash in on him if we can and get a proper winger/striker in his place

2 minutes ago, Yoyo2345 said:

I'd like to know what you actually thought Danny Simpson did wrong last night, or is he now the new scapegoat?

It's time Wells was put up top instead of Martin if we're only playing one of them, there's no way Wells would of missed that chance.

Simpson is solid as a defender, but he can’t go forward.  No pace and will turn back on himself and look for a pass back or sideways almost every time.  It means that our attacking threat on the right is very limited, and the front man (Scott or Semenyo) is isolated.  

We were the better team. Pressed and harried at the right times - James and Massengo worked extremely well as a duo; Scott was busy and gave that bit of excitement. Pring had a tough task against Laird but when he was given the ball in space, proved he can beat a man and cross.

While Martin wasn’t the most mobile, he won pretty much everything in the air with four blokes on him. Bear in mind this is a bloke who has just come back from a long term injury and started all four games.

Full backs are clearly our problem areas. Simpson and Dasilva weren’t great at all. Perhaps the former wasn’t as bad as I first thought but still not up to it.

Substitutions were poor - just chucked players on with little to no formation by the end. Weimann’s head had gone… Semenyo was dreadful; can’t beat the first man with a cross! Maybe we’ll call it rustiness after surgery…

The difference between us and Swansea is game management and flair in that final third. They looked like scoring/looked threatening every time they went forward whereas at times we were a little more reserved and sluggish. The game management from them was up there with the best I’ve seen at the Gate for a while; controlled the tempo with time wasting, blocks on runners, cute passes, going long if needed, getting their bodies in good positions to win fouls and ultimately got on the side of the ref.

Plenty to be positive about but it’s clear to see where improvement is needed.

I thought we played ok but just lacking quality at full back and up front.  Martin and Weiman work hard but just don’t have that burst of pace that will hurt the opposition.  

There are going to be some poor teams in this league particularly those with transfer embargoes .  As we get deeper into the season teams like Derby, Reading, Preston, Huddersfield will find it harder to compete.  Add to that the promoted teams  of Blackpool, Peterborough who may struggle I think we should have enough to survive this year.  We need to keep our players fit and back NP.

Majority of those who enjoyed the game last night we’re probably at the gate.

Whereas majority of those who thought we were poor probably watched on Sky.

Not a dig at anyone but can imagine how it played out on screen would feel like here we go again & the relationship associated with watching is lose regularly on Sky/Robins tv

In the stands you could sense the players were committed and there as was an energy about us. 

1 minute ago, Red Alert said:

Not a dig at anyone but can imagine how it played out on screen would feel like here we go again & the relationship associated with watching is lose regularly on Sky/Robins tv

In the stands you could sense the players were committed and there as was an energy about us. 

Watched last night as my daughter didn’t want to go but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall performance, yes we had a couple of weak links as suggested JD not reaching the level we expect and the bad luck of the chances falling to the wrong people but there was a lot more to be positive about in standards being set now compared to last season. Massengo is a breath of fresh air and we need to enjoy watching him whilst he is here as it won’t be long before he’s gone. I’d also like to see Semenyo given time to get match fit before people continue to slate him as I believe he could work really well on the left and Scott on the right if AW is playing off Martin whereas Pring on the left if Martin is playing up top with Wells as I was very impressed with Prings crossing and think we’d need a proper forward thinking striker to get on the end of them.

13 minutes ago, MSN Red said:

I thought we played ok but just lacking quality at full back and up front.  Martin and Weiman work hard but just don’t have that burst of pace that will hurt the opposition.  

There are going to be some poor teams in this league particularly those with transfer embargoes .  As we get deeper into the season teams like Derby, Reading, Preston, Huddersfield will find it harder to compete.  Add to that the promoted teams  of Blackpool, Peterborough who may struggle I think we should have enough to survive this year.  We need to keep our players fit and back NP.

Weimann has more pace than almost anyone I’ve ever seen at the Gate, but he can’t take the ball past defenders in tight situations and his shooting from outside the six-yard box is dreadful.   He can score, but needs the chance to be given him on a plate. I can understand why a succession of managers throughout his career have never really known what his best position is.  Martin is a target-man, full stop, who needs a no. 10 to play off him.  Wells is dreadful.  The sort of player we need scored in midweek for Derby…

With better finishing last night the game would have been over by half time. Similarly in the Blackpool game, and at Reading our nerves would have been saved the shredding that they got. 

There's a lot of discussion about our defending, but my feeling is that we desperately need a 20 goal a season striker. I don't see one in our squad. 

Let's face it, Swansea's goal was completely against the run of play and it changed the game from us being all over them to a much more even contest.

It was the result of a bizarre defensive mix-up with 4 City players basically all trying to do the same thing and getting in each others way.

We didn't play badly, but are being punished for these moments where we just switch off.

Championship football is unforgiving. 

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

With better finishing last night the game would have been over by half time. Similarly in the Blackpool game, and at Reading our nerves would have been saved the shredding that they got. 

There's a lot of discussion about our defending, but my feeling is that we desperately need a 20 goal a season striker. I don't see one in our squad. 

The nearest thing we have right now is Wells. You'd have thought that Weimann on the left and Wells up top with Martin is the obvious answer but NP obviously doesn't fancy it. What's going on with Wells is a big question.

If we’d taken one of our early chances I genuinely believe we’d have gone on to win by a couple of goals.

First half was excellent. Always amuses me to see people shooting down the good performance bad result outcome as ‘that means nothing’ or, excuse the pun, ‘pointless’. It’s very far from that, it’s hugely relevant. Early last season people were giddy after uninspiring, stout performances resulted in wins and, well, look how that turned out..

We’re a much better team now. We looked threatening, purposeful, hungry. We moved the ball well, knowing when to probe and when to be more dynamic.

Second half was a massive anti-climax and shows there is work to be done. The most disappointing aspect was it all felt very serene. Second half starts and suddenly 65 minutes are on the clock, you’ve got 20 minutes to save the game. We never got going, lacked the intensity of the first half and set completely the opposite tone to the hugely positive one we had in the first. Was surprised by that I must say. Expected more. Credit to Swansea, they stifled hugely well. Rhythm and flow were lacking and they deserve credit for doing what Pearson, I’m sure, is desperate to see us do in similar situations.

James looks a very tidy player. Looks a bit of everything. Communicates, ticks things over, looks an excellent signing. Massengo was MoM and Weimann is clearly integral to how we play, losing him to injury would be a disaster. Thought Atkinson did ok. Bit wobbly at times but you can see he likes to carry and is composed in doing so. Didn’t like the subs, Palmer had to be one of the changes. Thought Pring didn’t really affect the game a great deal, which isn’t necessarily criticism. 

All things considered it’s impossible to see the first half last night and argue we’re not moving in the right direction. If you’re doing that, quite simply, there’s an agenda at play. We’ll be fine this year. Probably not much more than that but fine is fine by me.

26 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I watched on Sky - can't easily get to evening matches - feels there are more and more each season!

I enjoyed the match. We looked committed and for periods clearly the better side. The atmosphere sounded good. It's a poor second best watching at home but better than nothing.

What undermines the TV experience is the annoying tendency of the poorer commentators to back the winner - to talk up whichever side is winning, regardless of how they are playing.

Lots of positives last night, deeply frustrating result of course against an average Swansea side (I thought Blackpool were a better outfit), their goal was fortunate but it happens.

We now have a proper engine room that will fine tune itself with time, defence is solid, I’m still not sure about Simpson, plus and minus factors with him.

Just watched the NP post match thoughts and cannot disagree, he’s building, knows what’s needed, it will take time, we have just got to see the bigger and longer term picture.

If just two of our past players could have been beamed into that team last night at full fitness, say Wilbs and Scotty Murray, we would have won by a mile.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

My thought.Will we ever win another home game?

Can’t you see ( result aside) how much better we are than the last few years ? 
we know it’s a rebuild at the moment . I’m picturing us in a year or two's time with better quality but the same intensity . Really looking forward to how we evolve . We’re exciting to watch again . 

My overriding feeling was that this is a team that I can get on board with. James and Massengo had class and graft. Scott had class. Weimann had graft! 

The boys really tried; not just to win but to play the right way and that's what I want.

Loads of our squad are recovering from injury so players like DaSilva and Semenyo are excused.

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I watched on Sky - can't easily get to evening matches - feels there are more and more each season!

I enjoyed the match. We looked committed and for periods clearly the better side. The atmosphere sounded good. It's a poor second best watching at home but better than nothing.

What undermines the TV experience is the annoying tendency of the poorer commentators to back the winner - to talk up whichever side is winning, regardless of how they are playing.

I'd be happy with all TV coverage of football to be void of commentary, dissection and analysis - all of which I can do for myself, in my own head. Just the noise of the crowd will do for me. 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Same here - difficult to get to evening matches due to distance/work so I watched on Sky too and really enjoyed the match. The first half especially we were really good. We weren’t quite as good in the second half but not for want of trying - couldn’t fault the team’s effort. Some of the Sky so-called pundits had a real downer on City though - you’d have thought we were bottom of the league with 3 games to go the amount of doom and gloom they were spouting! We are 4 games in and improving - rapidly if last night’s performance is anything to go by. 

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can’t you see ( result aside) how much better we are than the last few years ? 
we know it’s a rebuild at the moment . I’m picturing us in a year or two's time with better quality but the same intensity . Really looking forward to how we evolve . We’re exciting to watch again . 

I agree we played much better. But that didn't translate into a goal or indeed a win. We could have played till midnight last night and still not scored. I long for a player like Ivan Sproule or Eliason, someone with pace who the other team are worried about.

Archived