IGNORED

Thoughts on last night now I’ve slept on it.

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Red Alert said:

Majority of those who enjoyed the game last night we’re probably at the gate.

Whereas majority of those who thought we were poor probably watched on Sky.

Not a dig at anyone but can imagine how it played out on screen would feel like here we go again & the relationship associated with watching is lose regularly on Sky/Robins tv

In the stands you could sense the players were committed and there as was an energy about us. 

Totally agree. Was there last night and we looked the better team. Add that to the blackpool game (we were the better team) and reading and we’ve arguably been the better team in 3/4 games. Compare to tail end of season where you could easily make a case for us being the worse team for last 12 or so games in a row (and sometimes by a considerable margin) and the improvement and commitment is there to see. It’s highly unlikely in my view that you could turn a club playing that poorly into top half material in that space of time, but we have turned the corner and can thoroughly compete in games. That’s positive progress.

The singling out of Simpson is a pretty obvious one. What he lacks in pace he makes up with good awareness in most parts which gives him the edge over Vyner (who is not a full back) but (for me) it's not enough. If Jack Hunt wasn't deemed good enough I'm not sure how DS is an improvement. There is very little attacking intent either and that is down to having no pace and the wrong side of thirty which for a fullback should be a prerequisite in the modern game at this level. The full back position is a weak point for us. It was last season and it remains this season. So I find it strange that NP hasn't addressed it.

In fairness to Simpson though he has very little help in Scott and Senmenyo. Its amazing what pace will bring you in such an important & often overlooked position.

After sleeping on it I thought Swansea were the better side in a footballing sense and I thought we had plenty of endeavour whilst lacking that cutting edge. I liked the high energy approach and always trying to be on the front foot.

It remains an enigma how NP can't get a proven goal scorer in Wells into the team despite alluding to that lacking cutting edge on numerous occasions.

Despite another loss at home we are starting to see the benefit of having an experienced manager brings.

HNM MOM for me. Bright intelligent and combative.

James, Pring, Kalas & Atkinson all stood out.

Lots of positives in what will be a transitional season.

11 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I agree we played much better. But that didn't translate into a goal or indeed a win. We could have played till midnight last night and still not scored. I long for a player like Ivan Sproule or Eliason, someone with pace who the other team are worried about.

It’ll come . We need some better quality but also some understanding . I hate the mark ashtonisms but it is a process. I’m more excited now about our future than I have been since we won league one. Last night will be looked back on as a turning point imo . Similar to how under GJ when we lost 9 on the trot but you could see game by game things changing. It’s happening again. It’s going to be frustrating at times but it’s going to fun 

6 minutes ago, Swede said:

The singling out of Simpson is a pretty obvious one. What he lacks in pace he makes up with good awareness in most parts which gives him the edge over Vyner (who is not a full back) but (for me) it's not enough. If Jack Hunt wasn't deemed good enough I'm not sure how DS is an improvement. There is very little attacking intent either and that is down to having no pace and the wrong side of thirty which for a fullback should be a prerequisite in the modern game at this level. The full back position is a weak point for us. It was last season and it remains this season. So I find it strange that NP hasn't addressed it.

In fairness to Simpson though he has very little help in Scott and Senmenyo. Its amazing what pace will bring you in such an important & often overlooked position.

After sleeping on it I thought Swansea were the better side in a footballing sense and I thought we had plenty of endeavour whilst lacking that cutting edge. I liked the high energy approach and always trying to be on the front foot.

It remains an enigma how NP can't get a proven goal scorer in Wells into the team despite alluding to that lacking cutting edge on numerous occasions.

Despite another loss at home we are starting to see the benefit of having an experienced manager brings.

HNM MOM for me. Bright intelligent and combative.

James, Pring, Kalas & Atkinson all stood out.

Lots of positives in what will be a transitional season.

HNM for me too. He was good on the ball, he was quick and caused Swansea a few issues. Man of the Match for me 

33 minutes ago, woodsy62 said:

Swansea were a poor side to get nothing out of that game was very disappointing 

Don’t take the result in isolation . We’re all guilty of it at times. It’s been said plenty of times though that’s it’s a rebuild. We’ll get results like that along the way . I’m looking forward to how we’ll be in 20/40/60 games time as we get coached day in day out with that intensity & energy . Lots to look forward to . I was really gutted with the result because we didn’t deserve it , but that’s football. By the time I got home , that frustration had gone & I was & am really optimistic again. 

3 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

With better finishing last night the game would have been over by half time. Similarly in the Blackpool game, and at Reading our nerves would have been saved the shredding that they got. 

There's a lot of discussion about our defending, but my feeling is that we desperately need a 20 goal a season striker. I don't see one in our squad. 

I agree better finishing and we would all be celebrating last night we are in need of a quality striker expensive but if we are to build a new way of playing as Pearson wants IMHO we need this sorted soon so SL must make a quick decision on if we wait for a sale or to push the boat out again. On a separate note our full backs were poor HNM put in a MOM performance but I dont think he can do that all season I would also like cover in the defensive midfield King and James are not defensive midfielders.

3 hours ago, S_C said:

If we’d taken one of our early chances I genuinely believe we’d have gone on to win by a couple of goals.

First half was excellent. Always amuses me to see people shooting down the good performance bad result outcome as ‘that means nothing’ or, excuse the pun, ‘pointless’. It’s very far from that, it’s hugely relevant. Early last season people were giddy after uninspiring, stout performances resulted in wins and, well, look how that turned out..

We’re a much better team now. We looked threatening, purposeful, hungry. We moved the ball well, knowing when to probe and when to be more dynamic.

Second half was a massive anti-climax and shows there is work to be done. The most disappointing aspect was it all felt very serene. Second half starts and suddenly 65 minutes are on the clock, you’ve got 20 minutes to save the game. We never got going, lacked the intensity of the first half and set completely the opposite tone to the hugely positive one we had in the first. Was surprised by that I must say. Expected more. Credit to Swansea, they stifled hugely well. Rhythm and flow were lacking and they deserve credit for doing what Pearson, I’m sure, is desperate to see us do in similar situations.

James looks a very tidy player. Looks a bit of everything. Communicates, ticks things over, looks an excellent signing. Massengo was MoM and Weimann is clearly integral to how we play, losing him to injury would be a disaster. Thought Atkinson did ok. Bit wobbly at times but you can see he likes to carry and is composed in doing so. Didn’t like the subs, Palmer had to be one of the changes. Thought Pring didn’t really affect the game a great deal, which isn’t necessarily criticism. 

All things considered it’s impossible to see the first half last night and argue we’re not moving in the right direction. If you’re doing that, quite simply, there’s an agenda at play. We’ll be fine this year. Probably not much more than that but fine is fine by me.

Good post Steve.  Basically second have was much more even.

Swansea finally got Grimes on the ball….but overall we made Swansea play 100 less passes last night (440) than their average this season (545).  The opening 10-12 mins of the second half did whizz by, but then we had a spell which I think ended when their cheating CB went down injured.  A bit of our resurgence stifled as a result.

We still created chances second half….just not as good as the ones first half.  Although Weimann deflecting James’s shot could’ve gone anywhere other than straight at the keeper.  We still created more chances in the second half than many full 90s last season.

Over a season these level of performances will obtain better results.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Best way to sum it up for me is, this Huddersfield game was our last win at home. 

I’d rather watch yesterday’s game despite losing, than watch that tripe again. 

CEC20858-F811-431F-A530-3A9B267AAF00.jpeg

That was a strange game. We made a reasonable start and were 2 up before half an hour, and then seemingly went into full bunker mode. Can't remember why but definitely remember it happening.

Though that Martin, aside from squandering that gilt edged early chance, got no change at all out of Swansea's centre backs. I'd have taken him off at HT and given Wells the chance to play the CF role whilst we still had Scott & Pring to get crosses in.

I don't get that Scott (17) and Pring (21?) are not fit enough to play 90 mins, certainly once they both went off we had no creativity at all. Semenyo was dreadful and keeping Martin on pointless. 

As for Simpson, better option than Vyner for sure, better than Hunt defensively too for that matter. At 34 he is not going to be marauding forward much and it would be good to have a younger option, but presume whoever plays there for the U23s isn't felt up to it. Anyways it was not down to Simpson that we lost.

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So far it's been the reverse of last season's start. Then the results were much better than the performances, now we are not getting the results our performances merit.

As you say, maintain the performance level and results will follow.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

By chance I had a stream without commentary. 

Enough of your urological issues Major!

Seriously though, there were a number of excellent performances yesterday and a few who need to improve.

Massengo and James looked very good together, although against 3 men in midfield there were times when Swansea found space for fun. Kalas was back to his best, especially his interceptions. Atkinson looks a prospect although he is naive at this level, and their goal was in large part due to him being caught in possession and out of position along with JD, leaving Kalas and Simpson exposed.

Pring had a great first half and then faded in the second half. Scott was tidy without doing anything particularly special. Considering the lack of experience of both players at this level, they still have a lot to learn but look more than capable of coping well. Behind both full backs had less good games. Defensively Simpson was fine but offers nothing much going forward. JD had a difficult game against Laird. Hopefully with more games he will get back to his previous levels.

Upfront Martin had a tough time, and often had 4 players on him for high balls played forward. The fact that we didn’t make the most of the space that created is disappointing. We definitely look better with Weimann through the middle giving pace. He seems a better option in that role than Wells.

As for the subs, I don’t think they did much tbh. Semenyo was very rusty and not providing Simpson with any real forward option. That said Semenyo’s yellow card was beyond ridiculous (as was Weimann’s).

My final thought is that having Bentley as captain is odd. He had a decent game but for long periods he was as much of a spectator as those of us in the stands. Either Kalas or James would seem to be far better options but it’s NP’s decision.

Reasons to be optimistic for the rest of the season based on that performance. That said it would be good to see a victory at AG again some time soon.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Though that Martin, aside from squandering that gilt edged early chance, got no change at all out of Swansea's centre backs. I'd have taken him off at HT and given Wells the chance to play the CF role whilst we still had Scott & Pring to get crosses in.

I don't get that Scott (17) and Pring (21?) are not fit enough to play 90 mins, certainly once they both went off we had no creativity at all. Semenyo was dreadful and keeping Martin on pointless. 

As for Simpson, better option than Vyner for sure, better than Hunt defensively too for that matter. At 34 he is not going to be marauding forward much and it would be good to have a younger option, but presume whoever plays there for the U23s isn't felt up to it. Anyways it was not down to Simpson that we lost.

Said somewhere else that I thought Martin did well, but collectively we didn’t move the ball quickly enough to either take advantage of him being surrounded, or ensure he was less surrounded. 

Games I’ve watched Scott does seem to fade a bit and give the ball away more as the game goes on (admittedly this is an opinion, no stats reviewed), so understand the substitution. Not a criticism of Scott who is a breath of fresh air overall.

Pring to full back and Dasilva off might have worked better, certainly Pring deserved to stay on, but get it’s not as simple as that! Probably Baker to full back and Pring staying where he was would have been best, but maybe Pring’s tiredometer was reporting ‘weary, teetering on snooze time’.

Semenyo seemed like a reasonable option based on what he can do, but definitely didn’t do it. 

Overall very encouraging, I’m putting my unrealistic/unfair expectations on Tommy Conway to break through a bit and be the natural finisher we’re missing (not convinced Wells is that natural a finisher).

I listened on RB and watched the highlights, so can only go from those. 

It looks like we started really well, needed to be more clinical with our chances, but let in another poor goal. 

Positives are that it seems we played better football than last season and created more. Also young players like Scott and Pring played well. 

Negatives are that we need to finish chances - watching the highlights we seemed to snatch at them. We really need another striker. And we are still conceding too easily. By all accounts Swansea were poor,  but they still managed to take the points. 

26 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Enough of your urological issues Major!

Seriously though, there were a number of excellent performances yesterday and a few who need to improve.

Massengo and James looked very good together, although against 3 men in midfield there were times when Swansea found space for fun. Kalas was back to his best, especially his interceptions. Atkinson looks a prospect although he is naive at this level, and their goal was in large part due to him being caught in possession and out of position along with JD, leaving Kalas and Simpson exposed.

Pring had a great first half and then faded in the second half. Scott was tidy without doing anything particularly special. Considering the lack of experience of both players at this level, they still have a lot to learn but look more than capable of coping well. Behind both full backs had less good games. Defensively Simpson was fine but offers nothing much going forward. JD had a difficult game against Laird. Hopefully with more games he will get back to his previous levels.

Upfront Martin had a tough time, and often had 4 players on him for high balls played forward. The fact that we didn’t make the most of the space that created is disappointing. We definitely look better with Weimann through the middle giving pace. He seems a better option in that role than Wells.

As for the subs, I don’t think they did much tbh. Semenyo was very rusty and not providing Simpson with any real forward option. That said Semenyo’s yellow card was beyond ridiculous (as was Weimann’s).

My final thought is that having Bentley as captain is odd. He had a decent game but for long periods he was as much of a spectator as those of us in the stands. Either Kalas or James would seem to be far better options but it’s NP’s decision.

Reasons to be optimistic for the rest of the season based on that performance. That said it would be good to see a victory at AG again some time soon.

2 v 3 in CM will often do that- or 2 and 1 attacking mid ie purer attacking mid vs 3. To be expected at times.

Would also add, that is an area in which we miss Brownhill- even if wider right in last nights shapes, in phases he could have slotted back in and 3 v 3=less exposed. If King was several years younger then perhaps?

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post Steve.  Basically second have was much more even.

Swansea finally got Grimes on the ball….but overall we made Swansea play 100 less passes last night (440) than their average this season (545).  The opening 10-12 mins of the second half did whizz by, but then we had a spell which I think ended when their cheating CB went down injured.  A bit of our resurgence stifled as a result.

We still created chances second half….just not as good as the ones first half.  Although Weimann deflecting James’s shot could’ve gone anywhere other than straight at the keeper.  We still created more chances in the second half than many full 90s last season.

Think id previously said the 2nd half was poor (or even very poor) but I think, on reflection, that's harsh. I think anti-climax is a fairer representation as the first half was so positive, despite the scoreline, that at half time I felt if we scored anytime before the 75th we would have gone on and won.

Second half chances - deflection could have gone anywhere. Disallowed goal. Glancing header at the end. Cut in from the right which was narrowly over from the edge. Perhaps missing something obvious but not watched back. As you've said, a fully fledged hatful last season but underwhelming by the standards that were set first half. It was more the aura for me. Our intensity levels dropped, Swansea had sapping spells where they'd move it left to right, right to left, left to right, draw the foul. As i've said, credit to them, but I did feel that we slept-walked to defeat 2nd half when it was crying out for someone to galvanise.

We seemed to lose a cohesive element. They dropped, of course, but we unwisely followed which drew us out. We played some nice little short, central, diagonals into midfield first half leading to threat 40 yards out, I thought we lost that in the second and became more dependent on the wide players due to a gulf between defence and attack. They seemed to double, even triple, Martin at times. If you're playing him you of course utilise his aerial presence but I was interested to see how keen we were to keep it on the deck from the GK out - which doesn't mean we always did.

A disappointing result but an encouraging performance. As others have said, at very least it was refreshing to have something to get behind. Let's not pretend Pearson's record here is anything other than woeful but we've moved from a group of individuals to a team, people need to appreciate that. If we're 20th at Christmas you review but, until then, buy into the transition. 

24 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Said somewhere else that I thought Martin did well, but collectively we didn’t move the ball quickly enough to either take advantage of him being surrounded, or ensure he was less surrounded.

very good point….we almost got the breaks of off the loose balls that resulted….but almost was probably the buzzword last night.  Scott’s first chance was a result of exactly that…can’t remembered who played him in (Weimann?)….but he just delayed off his first touch and chance was blocked.  That summed it up a bit.

Games I’ve watched Scott does seem to fade a bit and give the ball away more as the game goes on (admittedly this is an opinion, no stats reviewed), so understand the substitution. Not a criticism of Scott who is a breath of fresh air overall.

the fact that we are saying things like he faded, shows how high our expectations have been set.  He is bona fide 1st team squad member….just needs careful managing.

Pring to full back and Dasilva off might have worked better, certainly Pring deserved to stay on, but get it’s not as simple as that! Probably Baker to full back and Pring staying where us was would have been best, but maybe Pring’s tiredometer was reporting ‘weary, teetering on snooze time’.

funny, I mentioned Kalas to RB next Saturday, but maybe Baker to LB might be the shout…..a suggestion at least.

Semenyo seemed like a reasonable option based on what he can do, but definitely didn’t do it. 

Overall very encouraging, I’m putting my unrealistic/unfair expectations on Tommy Conway to break through a bit and be the natural finisher we’re missing (not convinced Wells is that natural a finisher).

Would love to see Conway in the 18 regularly.

6 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

We actually played pretty well! Flew out of the traps that Nige said he wanted. If one of our earlier chances go in it’s a totally different game. BUT..

Sorry Danny Simpson isn’t good enough, we need a RB and some pace in midfield. Swansea’s Right winger done us time and time again by pure pace which we lack! Maybe that can be semenyo when fit.

Plus side to last night, we created lots of chances, both home games have been a massive improvement on last season, HNM dunno what Nige has said to him but it’s working, class performance, Pring also impressive.

disappointed we lost but if we play like that at home all season we’ll be fine.

hopefully a RB and winger come on before the deadline.

You slag off Simpson and then say their RIGHT winger kept doing us

To me that would say our problem was down the LEFT side of our defence

Seems to me you are judging Simpson more on what he has done off the pitch than what he is doing on it

On 21/08/2021 at 09:16, westonred said:

Last season after going a goal down the players would have given up and we would have lost 2 or 3 nil we are far stronger unit this year and the players seem to really be trying for NP

We need a couple of decent wingers and a good striker.  Martin cant play twice a week (Derby fans used to say that years ago) Semenyo isn't a winger his crossing is awful i would probably cash in on him if we can and get a proper winger/striker in his place

Yes persevered with odowdont  too long waste of time rather jannah than him .

Archived