IGNORED

Pearson Local Press Interview

YGBjammy

This has to be one of the coldest interviews I've read. Every question is met with disagreement or dismissal. Feels like NP and the Bristol Post very much do not get on!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-nigel-pearson-swansea-5815605

Contrast this with the official club interview and he was much more polite.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-had-enough-chances-to-win-pearson/

Edit: I agree with the replies now. I think I read this too harshly. I think he just says it how it is.

3 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

This has to be one of the coldest interviews I've read. Every question is met with disagreement or dismissal. Feels like NP and the Bristol Post very much do not get on!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/every-word-nigel-pearson-swansea-5815605

I think you’ve read a different interview to me! It seemed fine.  You might be looking for something that isn’t there 

Far better from NP, but what annoys me with Gregor is that he gives his opinions and asks Pearson to comment. 

"Did you switch off", "Martin and Weimann may of been fresher later in the season" etc. All opinions and rightly shut down. 

A much better approach would be to ask Pearson his thoughts, then follow up with questions from it. 

56 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Edit: I agree with the replies now. I think I read this too harshly. I think he just says it how it is.

Seems fine to me. Pearson speaks very deliberately and without much filler. He takes his time over his answers. You won't catch him saying too many common fillers like "to be fair". His style of speaking, as a result, seems a bit brutalist which some will interpret as hostile.

He respects the fans and will give good interviews. I expect he knows club interviews won't be twisted or exaggerated so he's a bit more forthcoming. 

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

A cold interview ? The desperation of some people on here is laughable. 

Pearson said nothing wrong. To many interviewers make statements in the form of a question and ask for the interviewee to agree with that statement. They try and puts words into the interviewee mouth, Nigel is to long in the tooth to fall into this trap.

The difference between interviews is that Gregor has a tendancy to push his own opinion into questions.... 

"This game comes as the third in six days, do you think there’s some tiredness creeping in to some of the forward players? Chris [Martin] and Andi [Weimann] have come back off long term injuries so if you play this game later on in the season and they’re a bit fresher, maybe you take those opportunities?" 

Or...

"You scored three in your last game and clearly Martin and Andi [Weimann] are very impressive, is it a case of getting that consistency in their finishing?"

These two questions almost completely contradict eachother. The first question Gregor suggests that Martin and Weimann may need a rest, whilst the second implies that they have been very impressive. 

That's the difference between the interviews. Gregor feeds his opinion into questions, often in the hope of getting a reaction and this therefore makes the question quite long-winded. 

The club channels approach to questions is often along the lines of...

"Nigel, a tough result tonight, What can you take from this game?" 

Straightforward and to the point. 

When you think about it, Nige's magnum opus occurred when he was at odds, if not war, with the local media, or the inkies, or some one asking him questions he didn't want to answer. No doubt he used it to foster a "they're all against us, lads" go-out-and-prove-em-wrong team spirit, like Ferguson did.

The night we seal promotion to the Prem, Gregor will be butt-naked in the bath with Big Nige and all the lads singing "Blackbird" and DUTC ....

29 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The difference between interviews is that Gregor has a tendancy to push his own opinion into questions.... 

"This game comes as the third in six days, do you think there’s some tiredness creeping in to some of the forward players? Chris [Martin] and Andi [Weimann] have come back off long term injuries so if you play this game later on in the season and they’re a bit fresher, maybe you take those opportunities?" 

Or...

"You scored three in your last game and clearly Martin and Andi [Weimann] are very impressive, is it a case of getting that consistency in their finishing?"

These two questions almost completely contradict eachother. The first question Gregor suggests that Martin and Weimann may need a rest, whilst the second implies that they have been very impressive. 

That's the difference between the interviews. Gregor feeds his opinion into questions, often in the hope of getting a reaction and this therefore makes the question quite long-winded. 

The club channels approach to questions is often along the lines of...

"Nigel, a tough result tonight, What can you take from this game?" 

Straightforward and to the point. 

Gregor's questions are an attempt to trip up Pearson and so Pearson treats him with a caution bordering on contempt.  I would if I had someone following my job then asking me such pointless questions.  You say the minimum in these situations.  

The modern journalist will be aware of the likes of Balague who are regularly on 5 Live and Talksport.  They're treated as experts.  Gregor is looking to do the same but I don't think Nigel is going to feed this at all.

37 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Or...

Good point.

I also listened to his brief interview with Radio Bristol, I think it was with Ali Durden, the questions are far better, so the answers are, too.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Gregor's questions are an attempt to trip up Pearson and so Pearson treats him with a caution bordering on contempt.  I would if I had someone following my job then asking me such pointless questions.  You say the minimum in these situations.  

The modern journalist will be aware of the likes of Balague who are regularly on 5 Live and Talksport.  They're treated as experts.  Gregor is looking to do the same but I don't think Nigel is going to feed this at all.

Well if Gregor wants to reach that level then he needs to study the game better.

He gave Massengo & Dasilva the same marks for last night, one was one of our best 3 performers (& got MotM), the other was our worst.

Plus his “analysis” said we lacked “quality in the final third” which as football cliches go, is right up there with “pockets of space”.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Well if Gregor wants to reach that level then he needs to study the game better.

He gave Massengo & Dasilva the same marks for last night, one was one of our best 3 performers (& got MotM), the other was our worst.

Plus his “analysis” said we lacked “quality in the final third” which as football cliches go, is right up there with “pockets of space”.

100% Graham.  He doesn't understand the game.

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Exactly. Pearson is too switched on for Gregor's method of questioning.

Archived