IGNORED

Outside the box

robc

Almost every week on MOTD you will see a Premiership player score with a worldie from outside the box. I am talking about players hitting the ball with real power from 30-35 yards and often with very little backlift. Down the years there have been some great footballers who were/are particularly gifted in this regard. Players like Peter Lorimer, Charlie George and more recently Harry Kane could/can all hit ‘screamers’.  It has long struck me, especially during our record breaking run without a win at Ashton Gate, that we have had pitifully few players with this unique ability down the years. Now and again of course City will score with an unexpectedly powerful strike from an unlikely source – a player who catches a ball perfectly, most often from a free kick, but it tends to be a one off . More often than not our strikes from distance end up with a comfortable save for an opposing keeper or will balloon over the bar (Weimann anyone?). I struggle to name more than two or three players from each of the 7 decades that I have watched the City who had the sort of striking ability that I am talking about. It would be interesting to hear others feelings. My list of those that could genuinely hit rockets from outside the box is as follows-

The 60s Peter Hooper

The 70s John Galley

The 80s Rob Newman, Superbob, Alan Walsh

The 90s Shaun Goater, Tins

The 00s Mickey Bell, Lee Trundle

The 10s Joe Bryan, JET

The 20s None so far

We could really do with players with this particular ability now! To create something out of nothing …….

Matty James looks likely too.

10924766-26CE-4E0C-959A-28390EDD4316.jpeg.71a8f36973d4f7c1cffd719544cb5e99.jpeg

Last night’s efforts….the two outside the box were from a drive forward where Benda made a relatively comfy diving save and the other one that was going just wide but got deflected straight to the keeper.

Archived