IGNORED

Burnley today….

TomThumb84

15 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

1-11 with 1-11 squad numbers and in a 4-4-2, with all the players in the positions their numbers should be.

Football is back. 

When I quickly read this I thought it was the scoreline from their game. :shocking:

As others have said it harks back to the days of “proper” old school  football, when you were either in the team ( and given a shirt number from 2-11 dependant on your position), 12 if you were named sub, or you were not playing so got nothing. The other players were part of the squad.

16 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

1-11 with 1-11 squad numbers and in a 4-4-2, with all the players in the positions their numbers should be.

Football is back. 

Yes was lovely to see. For us that can Remeber. But to what purpose, was there a benefit to the Burnley result ?

I thought they played well in a losing fashion. 

But was it Dyche ? The players ? Whose idea and directive for this to happen ?

20 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Football is back. 

I was thinking about the old way on Friday night when I was trying to work out who was who and the random squad numbers. I much prefer the old way

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Also liked the return to tradition. They also have mostly British players - another plus for English football. 

What number did Brownhill play. Hear he may leave to be replaced by Will Hughes of Watford

Number 8, same as always, its his squad number 

19 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes.

I suppose a further question could be is this going back to the "W M" formation (for you older ones) when 4 & 6 were "right" and "left" halves and 8 and 10 were "inside right" &  "inside left"!

I wonder if Josh Brownhill knows he's playing "inside right"!

23 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Whos in for a game of wembley up the park jumpers for posts an go home covered in dogyouknowwhat.... 

Making sure the boy whose ball it is doesn't have to go in early for lunch.

20 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Football is back. 

4-4-2? What’s wrong with a good old 2-3-5. Bloody modern ideas. Bet they’ve let the manufacturer sneak their logo onto the shirt too? 

21 hours ago, 2015 said:

Love that from Burnley. Proper club

Funny how perceptions differ, isn’t it! Mine of Burnley are that it’s where I’ve experienced some of the worst football violence and the worst racism at a football match. Based, admittedly, on relatively few visits.

Its good to see the 1-11 line up, I agree. But it’s either a happy co-incidence that players with those squad numbers are all fit and the manager’s first choice, in his preferred formation. Or it’s a bit of a gimmick, thoroughly in tune with the modern game! I’m guessing the former.

It did make me smile though that the Liverpool team included players wearing numbers 32, 66 and 67!

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure several of you have read Inverting the Pyramid.  I’m not finding it an easy read tbh.  How did others find it.

Dave, I hadn't even heard let alone read the book. Had to Google. Seems the author, Jonathan Wilson, has written quite a few books based around football.

Snappy title. Couldn't help but think if you wrote about your love of football you'd have to call it Inverting The Flowchart!

Archived