IGNORED

Have they even unpacked?

Hampshire Red

Fulham are reportedly so comfortable in their first games that they are adding just one striker (to be paid for by their' Rewards for Failure' aka Parachute Payments or Super League bonus) that they havent unpacked their Premier League shirts and shorts

If i am correct in viewing Baggies as a nailed on 2nd place then we could have some fun guessing the play-off places. I'm certainly not sure yet who those will be but Sheff U fans believe their 2nd half of season run will get them 3rd, Baardiff and QPR may be in contention. If i were a betting fan i would bet Bomo are very likely to be in the top 6. I dont think we need worry about Notts Forest, Derby, Luton, Millwall, Posh etc

By Xmas the transfer window will have ended, teams will have settled squads and coaches and i imagine the three most likely play off places will be established. Right now, i think we have a moderate chance of vying for 6th place but that would be 1 chance in 19 chances so we'd better set our expectations this season.

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Fulham are reportedly so comfortable in their first games that they are adding just one striker (to be paid for by their' Rewards for Failure' aka Parachute Payments or Super League bonus) that they havent unpacked their Premier League shirts and shorts

If i am correct in viewing Baggies as a nailed on 2nd place then we could have some fun guessing the play-off places. I'm certainly not sure yet who those will be but Sheff U fans believe their 2nd half of season run will get them 3rd, Baardiff and QPR may be in contention. If i were a betting fan i would bet Bomo are very likely to be in the top 6. I dont think we need worry about Notts Forest, Derby, Luton, Millwall, Posh etc

By Xmas the transfer window will have ended, teams will have settled squads and coaches and i imagine the three most likely play off places will be established. Right now, i think we have a moderate chance of vying for 6th place but that would be 1 chance in 19 chances so we'd better set our expectations this season.

The play off places have never been decided by Xmas, don’t see that changing this year. Plus weird to write off at Xmas when a transfer window is just about to open 

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

To be honest, it's starting to get tiresome having the same clubs going up and down each season. For me, Fulham and WBA are nailed on

Tiresome, but predictable. The clubs with PP have a hugely unfair advantage and that is even more so in these times. 

The differences in finance are vast, as we all know but, until PP is scrapped it is nowhere near a level playing field.

The argument for them is incredibly weak but no middle to lower EPL team is going to vote for their eradication, just in case they need them.

26 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Tiresome, but predictable. The clubs with PP have a hugely unfair advantage and that is even more so in these times. 

The differences in finance are vast, as we all know but, until PP is scrapped it is nowhere near a level playing field.

The argument for them is incredibly weak but no middle to lower EPL team is going to vote for their eradication, just in case they need them.

Surely if WBA and Fulham go up again there will be barely any teams with them left? Surely it would be scrapped then if put to a vote.

11 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Surely if WBA and Fulham go up again there will be barely any teams with them left? Surely it would be scrapped then if put to a vote.

Fair comment.

But of course 3 more will come down with the PP’s and the cycle continues.

Really don’t see it being scrapped anytime soon.

It's time to end the parachute payments on the grounds they give these clubs an uncompetitive advantage.   If the fans regaled against the ESL on the grounds it ruined competition, then parachute payments do exactly the same thing.

It would make more sense to give a payment to the clubs promoted to the Premier League an initial promotion payment so they could compete on more equal terms in the summer for transfer targets.   (I assume they don't get that now and are spending what they expect to receive at the end of their first season).

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

It's time to end the parachute payments on the grounds they give these clubs an uncompetitive advantage.   If the fans regaled against the ESL on the grounds it ruined competition, then parachute payments do exactly the same thing.

It would make more sense to give a payment to the clubs promoted to the Premier League an initial promotion payment so they could compete on more equal terms in the summer for transfer targets.   (I assume they don't get that now and are spending what they expect to receive at the end of their first season).

That would be prize money for getting promoted, a sort of incentive if you like.

I wonder now, the likes of Norwich, West Brom and other yo yo clubs if they are happy to have promotions from the Championship every few years for the honours and the excitement of a successful campaign rather than struggling every season in the Prem with little prospect of silverware. 

If they are prudent they will be making pots of money for their clubs into the bargain.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That would be prize money for getting promoted, a sort of incentive if you like.

I wonder now, the likes of Norwich, West Brom and other yo yo clubs if they are happy to have promotions from the Championship every few years for the honours and the excitement of a successful campaign rather than struggling every season in the Prem with little prospect of silverware. 

If they are prudent they will be making pots of money for their clubs into the bargain.

And that is the way to do it.

Get promoted but work on the basis that you could well be relegated after one season so don’t go crazy on transfers and wages.

On my little list I forgot to add, Gazzaniga in goal.

I do wonder how FFP compliant they are- if you look at Sheffield United and WBA, a) They splashed less cash over that period to begin with or had greater headroom and b) Have sold and released some either of note or for decent fees- Fulham though have added Gazzaniga, Wilson and Rodrigo Muniz while selling nobody of note. Sheffield United- Ramsdale, West Brom- Pereira- the latter also have a squad of only 20, which could be a bit of a downfall for them if injuries hit in the cold Winter months- their only true CMs as it stands are Livermore and Mowatt...it's thin in places.

The other two seem more prudent, but as for Fulham. Once Covid costs excluded and the average of last season and 2019/20 also, I make after the usual FFP Costs their Upper Loss limit to 2022 to be £72m...have to wonder.

If they stay down certainly that swings down to £55.5m and Parachute Payments always lower in Year 2 so it could be a definite issue if they don't go straight back up! Even so though I wonder about the here and now...

On 21/08/2021 at 20:16, AshtonGreat said:

To be honest, it's starting to get tiresome having the same clubs going up and down each season. For me, Fulham and WBA are nailed on

Nice little mini league up and down while keeping parachute payments, Guarantee Norwich will be back down next season.

On 21/08/2021 at 20:16, AshtonGreat said:

I don't mind Fulham for some reason, I feel the past couple of times they've gone up they were interesting to watch with their transfers at least, may just bias because City players at the time. Norwich and WBA are seriously unexciting seeing get promoted.

I'm glad Sheffield United are getting battered, just because another yoyo team would be rubbish. 

On 21/08/2021 at 21:14, ScottishRed said:

Fair comment.

But of course 3 more will come down with the PP’s and the cycle continues.

Really don’t see it being scrapped anytime soon.

Time for a Prem 2 league perhaps?

Made up of 16 teams and 3 up - 3 down and also play off for a fourth relegation spot to keep teams and fans interested 

37 minutes ago, Street red said:

Nice little mini league up and down while keeping parachute payments, Guarantee Norwich will be back down next season.

Might be a stupid question but if you yo-yo do you get double parachute payments? In theory Fulham haven’t finished receiving their last lot of relegation cash and have been relegated again… 

37 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Might be a stupid question but if you yo-yo do you get double parachute payments? In theory Fulham haven’t finished receiving their last lot of relegation cash and have been relegated again… 

You forego them if you get promoted back up - any money gets redistributed back within Prem

If you got straight down, you only get 2 years, not 3 years PPs - the 3rd year money gets redistributed back within Prem

EFL does not benefit.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You forego them if you get promoted back up - any money gets redistributed back within Prem

If you got straight down, you only get 2 years, not 3 years PPs - the 3rd year money gets redistributed back within Prem

EFL does not benefit.

Elitism at its finest. Would be so much fairer to distribute amongst EFL if or when clubs lose their parachute payments. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

EFL does not benefit.

That makes sense - thanks Dave. 
Imagine my shock at the fact the prem hang on to the money!!!!! ?

PP has been a long running frustration of mine, the reality is each year at least 2 clubs with PP go up, leaving us effectively playing for 1 place. The prem was built on greed and to ensure most of the money stays with the bigger clubs, I can't believe us fans accept having to play in a rigged competition, but guess the percentage of fans support prem / PP clubs so don't care.

What is even more annoying is the Prem grab back any money they would have paid in PP when a PP club goes back up rather than sharing amongst the none PP clubs.

Until player contracts have relegation pay reduction clauses which allow relegated clubs to comply with FFP of the division they are now in, it will remain a farce

Archived