IGNORED

Summer, Buddy Holly, The Working Folly, Good Golly Miss Molly and Boats

Silvio Dante

As we sit here now, 4 points from 4 games, it’s pretty easy to be negative. But I think the mood is different, and I think there are a few reasons to be cheerful and this is why this place is up - excluding Rovers!

- I’ve seen 4 of 5 games this season. The only one missed was Boro away so I can’t comment on that. In each game, there were things that could have been “better”, but there was nothing “bad”. I’d say most players have been operating at a 6/7 out of 10 each game, and the feeling is that the ceiling isn’t that. We’ve got a base. It feels like ages since we’ve had that

- The difference with last season can’t be overstated. As early as Forest away we rode our luck. It then reached the start of the real negative slope in Cardiff, where we won 1-0 but defended for 89 minutes. We were in a false position for ages, and got the rub of the green. The last luck was used up against Huddersfield, but in truth we were screwed before then. This season we’ve played 5 games. For me, we deserved wins against Blackpool, FGR, Reading and Swansea (as noted, can’t comment on Boro). It’s chalk and cheese and the not winning when playing well can’t go on forever. It’ll turn.

- It’s rare that sides who do well start well. The opposite often happens - I still have mares about McInnes season  and we won two early games 4-1! Norwich and Barnsley last year started slow and gained momentum. They weren’t playing badly but they weren’t getting results. I can see us following a similar trajectory, if not enough to make the playoffs.

In short, this is the most optimistic I’ve been in years. The side has developed even since game one - Massengo and Kalas and Pring coming in, and as it develops, the performance level keeps going up.

We could do something here. Yes Yes My Dear, Perhaps Next Year, or maybe even now.

In which case…

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As we sit here now, 4 points from 4 games, it’s pretty easy to be negative. But I think the mood is different, and I think there are a few reasons to be cheerful and this is why this place is up - excluding Rovers!

- I’ve seen 4 of 5 games this season. The only one missed was Boro away so I can’t comment on that. In each game, there were things that could have been “better”, but there was nothing “bad”. I’d say most players have been operating at a 6/7 out of 10 each game, and the feeling is that the ceiling isn’t that. We’ve got a base. It feels like ages since we’ve had that

- The difference with last season can’t be overstated. As early as Forest away we rode our luck. It then reached the start of the real negative slope in Cardiff, where we won 1-0 but defended for 89 minutes. We were in a false position for ages, and got the rub of the green. The last luck was used up against Huddersfield, but in truth we were screwed before then. This season we’ve played 5 games. For me, we deserved wins against Blackpool, FGR, Reading and Swansea (as noted, can’t comment on Boro). It’s chalk and cheese and the not winning when playing well can’t go on forever. It’ll turn.

- It’s rare that sides who do well start well. The opposite often happens - I still have mares about McInnes season  and we won two early games 4-1! Norwich and Barnsley last year started slow and gained momentum. They weren’t playing badly but they weren’t getting results. I can see us following a similar trajectory, if not enough to make the playoffs.

In short, this is the most optimistic I’ve been in years. The side has developed even since game one - Massengo and Kalas and Pring coming in, and as it develops, the performance level keeps going up.

We could do something here. Yes Yes My Dear, Perhaps Next Year, or maybe even now.

In which case…

I walked out yesterday feeling we really should have won…what a waste.

I think we'll be OK this season.

• I'm not expecting top 6, but I am expecting us to look a more consistent, organised and well drilled side. 
  • I want to see us blood young players and for those young players to visibly improve.
  • I want to see us being much harder to beat, being able to grind out results.
  • I want to see more entertaining and attacking football.
  • I want to see us play to our strengths and worry less about the opposition.

I think at the moment we're achieving most of those. Some of those will only be able to be measured as the season progresses but the signs are good.

I don't think we will be relegated whilst Pearson is our manager. Provided he's backed adequately and there's no meddling behind the scenes I think he will make us a competitive top end Championship side within 2/3 full seasons. 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been waiting 3 seasons for a defined playing style.  We now have one.  Now it’s all about fine-tuning and improving cohesion….subtle tweaks here and there.  I’m pretty content.

Absolutely.

We also need to develop the personnel. A few of our squad aren't going to be the long term solution, and a few of the young players are still becoming the players we need them to be. There will be a gradual evolution (but we need respectabpe results in the short term!).

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been waiting 3 seasons for a defined playing style.  We now have one.  Now it’s all about fine-tuning and improving cohesion….subtle tweaks here and there.  I’m pretty content.

I used to find crossfield runs by players really annoying, usually caused by a player being so one footed they can't change direction, or trying to look like they were achieving something without actually going anywhere.

But, particularly against Swansea, Wiemann's running between the lines, actually seemed to cause Swansea problems, it made it hard for them to play him offside and it meant that the point of attack could come from anywhere across the back 4. I don't think I have seen his running utilised in this way before.

@Silvio Dante Good post.

I genuinely think this season is all about avoiding the bottom six & I do think we can (just).

Obvious to say but until we get past August 31st we don’t know what NP is working with, both in terms of any possible arrivals & departures from the squad.

I know the phrase “fine margins” has become a bit of a cliche but that is exactly where I think we are.

All our games so far have been close, we have been in all of them (I know we were apparently poor at Boro but we did get it back to 1-1) & so reducing the goals conceded & squeezing every goal out of a Martin & Weimann strike force will determine our fate, along with keeping as many of a far smaller squad available for selection.

Well it takes a lot longer to get up North the slow way, but rewatching the Swansea game I realised this was a way of playing we haven't had at City for years. And it is good. Can't quite work out which of our past set-ups it reminds me of but way back. Imagine Bob Taylor and Robbie Turner at the front of our current team, really promising, just a few missing pieces.

14 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

In which case…

Good post. 

We didn’t start well in the GJ promotion season for example and that turned out superbly!

And whilst not trying to derail this thread who else was at the Ian Dury and The Blockheads New Boots And Panties gig at the Colston Hall on a Sunday night in 1978? Whirlwind and Matumbi were the support bands.

Ian had to apologise they couldn't do the second encore as he was shattered.

Archived