IGNORED

Forever Bristol City, OSIB, etc.

The Original OTIB

8 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Listening to the former today, and "Dave" is utterly annoying with his constant interruptions and meandering. Hats off for trying, and there's some good debate and observations, but let people finish their ideas, whether good or bad. As for Stan on OSIB, cut the comedy (or attempted comedy) at every turn. Again, respect for delivering the content but the balance is all wrong. One other point, it would be helpful to have full names and some biog background on the contributors for context rather than "today we are joined by "Les" or whomsoever. Ok if you know who they are, but lots of us (I suspect) do not. Again, thanks for your efforts and hard work on this but improvements could be made. Up to you lot of course, and up to me to switch off.

I have to agree with you on David’s constant interruptions on the Forever City podcast, I guess he feels vindicated in doing so in his role as presenter. Sometimes I also feel like David doesn’t worry about getting his facts/statements right.

Still, as you alluded too, fair play to all for doing all they do! I personally enjoy listening to OSIB, FBC & 3PIAPC.

Keep up the good work.

COYR.

I like the ForeverBristol City podcast. I’ve just finished catching up on yesterday’s edition. (I always refer to it as the old mans poddy to Mrs Oxo) 

Headhunter is fine what ever anyone thinks (although I wish he would learn the ages of our players as he always seem way off) and Ian is a decent listen, even if you don’t always agree, he has the bottle to say what he thinks and put his heart on his sleeve over the club. In my opinion he is right most of the time. 

I did notice the comment about being obsessed with size, which I think was a response on a comment made on here. For my tuppence the human condition has changed since the 70s and people are bigger, plus the training regimes more intense. We have been bullied for years on the pitch by crap teams like Millwall and Rotherham so I’m a bit obsessed by it too. LJ liked little guys that could play. But you have to allow them to play and we never could. 

The likes of Nagy DeSilva Wells will all do well at other clubs but really their is only room for one of those here. 

Pearson will build a team, best as he can, in his own image. Thus get ready for a a more intense (tougher, hence all the extra fitness work) ball winning team that values work ethic and wins second ball. Also he has been given the task of reducing the wage bill post LJ/Ashton/Holden whilst playing our youth players and keeping us up. A tall order (if you forgive the pun) . 

The problem is many of our players are valueless and on stupidly high Ashton/Johnson wages. This will slow down the squad development. 

I read on here the other day some one saying that all the good things LJ did are overlooked. What he did was establish us as a Championship club at enormous cost. The piper is now being paid!

Just now, headhunter said:

Not a fan then !! I bow to the greater tactical insight of DaveFevs and Ian is more right than wrong but I'll challenge you to a Mastermind type quiz on the depth of knowledge of the club from Fred Ford to the present day.

Yes I am a fan of the podcast and listen to each one. I didn’t say I myself had more knowledge than you or question your back history knowledge of City. However I go back to 1958, but I don’t think my memory or speed of thought would support a Mastermind type quiz.

I stand by my comments regarding interruptions but it’s your podcast so how you want to run it is up do you. Apologies if I offended. 

I've always listened to OSIB and  a bit more ad-hoc with the others. They all have their good bits and bad. 

OSIB has my top prize for most god awful pod cast episode of all time. Broadcast towards the back end of last season, which admittedly wasn't a great time, they wandered off with some random bollocks about cricket and other crap. 

Normally though, it's a great listen and generally accompanies my cooking and washing up on Sunday or Monday. I have to be a bit more careful now as the swear filtering has become non existent. 

3 Peaps and FBC have done some good stuff. 

None of them are bad but it's very much horses for courses.

I'll miss, Robins at the Gate because it was always good to have a couple of people give their views from a journalistic point of view which contrasted nicely with the fan chat on the others.

I like FBC a lot, and it's normally my go-to podcast, with OSIB for special occasions. I probably like OSIB equally but the last few years one podcast is all I could stomach with City being so shit!

I think it's easy to be a bit critical of FBC forgetting it's recorded live so nothing can be hidden in the edit or redone. I think the host does a decent job and  I don't blame him for stepping in a fair bit to try and keep it to time and on track, especially with Ian (who is a decent guy overall in my opinion... he does go on and can irritate a bit, but also provokes a lot of discussion).

As someone who does a fair bit of hosting discussions and presenting to people which get recorded these things sound obvious when you're listening back rather than in the moment!

I think it could be improved if they used a centrally hosted server, like discord, and then they could also get the odd guest or "caller" on from the live chat and the host can mute/unmute as he wants to let them chime in - would also solve a lot of the connection issues. I feel it can be a little stale sometimes otherwise with all of them pretty set in their opinions and expectations.

Overall it's just great to have so many community run things for City, including a lot of this forum of course, blogs, stats, analysis, and so on.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:With DaveFevs having less time he and I will be recording a 1-2-1 in the international break reviewing the first 5 games

I’m really looking forward to this edition, as I enjoy the stats and data @Davefevsproduces- so having him explain, and also share his data driven insights will be good- and I guess after 5 games, Is a good time for such a review! 

17 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I like FBC a lot, and it's normally my go-to podcast, with OSIB for special occasions. I probably like OSIB equally but the last few years one podcast is all I could stomach with City being so shit!

I think it's easy to be a bit critical of FBC forgetting it's recorded live so nothing can be hidden in the edit or redone. I think the host does a decent job and  I don't blame him for stepping in a fair bit to try and keep it to time and on track, especially with Ian (who is a decent guy overall in my opinion... he does go on and can irritate a bit, but also provokes a lot of discussion).

As someone who does a fair bit of hosting discussions and presenting to people which get recorded these things sound obvious when you're listening back rather than in the moment!

I think it could be improved if they used a centrally hosted server, like discord, and then they could also get the odd guest or "caller" on from the live chat and the host can mute/unmute as he wants to let them chime in - would also solve a lot of the connection issues. I feel it can be a little stale sometimes otherwise with all of them pretty set in their opinions and expectations.

Overall it's just great to have so many community run things for City, including a lot of this forum of course, blogs, stats, analysis, and so on.

Thanks for saying we're your go to pod.

Podbean is a pretty good hosting platform IMHO. When we record live it is possible, as a listener, to dial in and I can admit you to the virtual studio which can accommodate me plus 4. Listeners can also text comments and I try to read out as many as I can with Ian and DaveF [when he's on] often responding by text too so we are quite good at letting listeners feel involved . When its me plus ,say, Ian ,Mark & Lezz there is room for one more but I think this is why I interrupt as I am trying to give everyone their share of voice. If you listen to Geoff 20man on SOTC he's usually just talking 1-2-1 and is perhaps more subtle than me when cutting them off and moving onto the next caller!!

38 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Thanks for saying we're your go to pod.

Podbean is a pretty good hosting platform IMHO. When we record live it is possible, as a listener, to dial in and I can admit you to the virtual studio which can accommodate me plus 4. Listeners can also text comments and I try to read out as many as I can with Ian and DaveF [when he's on] often responding by text too so we are quite good at letting listeners feel involved . When its me plus ,say, Ian ,Mark & Lezz there is room for one more but I think this is why I interrupt as I am trying to give everyone their share of voice. If you listen to Geoff 20man on SOTC he's usually just talking 1-2-1 and is perhaps more subtle than me when cutting them off and moving onto the next caller!!

I think the challenge is when you, as host pose a question to the “panel” for example- 

“so what did you make of the team selection, 2 changes from the last game” 

Ian has a habit of answering that, and then going off on a tangent about other aspects of the game, and his personal agenda for the show- hence you almost have to interrupt! 

maybe (and I’m by no means qualified to offer professional advice) asking more closed questions “might” help keep the responses shorter, and not cause people to say you interrupt! 

I only listen to OSIB and FBC at the moment, and have said my piece about both earlier, but one thing that has crept in the last few weeks on both of them that is beginning to grate a little bit is comments such as "See? We're not so negative after all" or somesuch seemingly in response to criticisms made here.

If you feel a criticism is valid and constructive, then change whatever you feel you need to change but there is no need to constantly point it out to us, your podcast will have changed for the better (hopefully) and that will be enough.

I also hope the club will invite Headhunter to the HPC soon to watch training or something as maybe then he will stop harping on about that too :laugh:

Lez spot on about Kieffer Moore.  We have a big decision to make whether we let him win it and anticipate the loose-balls.  The issue is if you set up to let him win it, you have to be careful not to leave him to bring it down on his chest.  Almost better off to mark him from in-front.

No surprise at Senior Reds that Nige will stick with a back 4.

Lez again right that Pring is getting up to speed with the pace and stamina required for a high intensity role.  It’s a huge step up, he will adjust in time.  But I’d rather 60-65 minutes of high intensity from Pring than 90 mins at 75%.  He has been really good.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Lez spot on about Kieffer Moore.  We have a big decision to make whether we let him win it and anticipate the loose-balls.  The issue is if you set up to let him win it, you have to be careful not to leave him to bring it down on his chest.  Almost better off to mark him from in-front.

No surprise at Senior Reds that Nige will stick with a back 4.

Doubling up not necessarily the answer either, see Ikpeazu goal.

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Doubling up not necessarily the answer either, see Ikpeazu goal.

Indeed.

The other thing is that you must pressure the delivery, make them go straight.  Last thing we need is full-backs and midfielders with time to get their head up and aim for Moore.  A hurried ball is likely to be less accurate.

Great to see another thread about City podcasts. I've started listening to a few City-related shows since the first lockdown.

Enjoy OSIB & 3PIAPC. Also wondering where BS3 Talk is. Haven't yet to listen to Forever Bristol City.

While I'm here, I may as well shamelessly plug again Bristol City Vixencast if you follow the City Women...or want to, this season! Season preview is out now for you to enjoy. Available in the link.

Archived