IGNORED

Are we a sleeping giant?

Desso

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

A shame the Welsh FA don't muster up another 16 teams along with Cardiff, Newport, Swanseas & Wrexham and put them all in the Welsh league so we can forget about them!

Haha that would be great but then we’d be relying on you or rovers to improve so we could actually have a league derby, well all probably meet in a couple years in league one with the way it always seems to go at city

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The assumption behind the "sleeping giant" nonsense that persists still now, is that, given a top class team fulfilling this untapped "potential" the large "catchment area" around Bristol with no other (top class) club will flock to AG week after week and support a club they hitherto rarely take much interest in, other than for a day out at Wembley or a cup quarter or semi v Manchester. 

Whereas us reglers know that should we reach the Prem and struggle, you will be able to rock up on the day with all the family and find seats to watch Burnley, Watford, Southampton, Everton and the like.

There might be some enthusiasm the first season up, but that will swiftly give way to good old West Country cant-be-bloody-arsedism and general indifference.

It's all about the "catchment area" and the distance from the "glamour" clubs. Thing is, most football fans in the bleedin "catchment area" around here already "support" one of the bleedin "glamour" clubs. Most locals don't have the stomach for supporting a non "glamour" club.

I suppose some of them might go "half and half" : Chelsea and Bristol City, or Man/Bristol City.

To sum up, then: no, we're not a "sleeping giant."

We were well supported last time we were there for four years regardless of who we were playing. 

I hate the term sleeping giant, I see it as a metaphor for shit club that’s not done much in more years than anyone cares to remember! REMIND YOU OF ANYONE!

As for the original post. I have posted on the subject a few times. There is interest in the US. Ashton finding a buyer for Ipswich and effing off there was not a coincidence. 

it’s a matter of investment. Ipswich was cheap. Bristol City/Sport with all that entails is not. Rugby is shown live in the US on NBC and if you don’t think having feeder teams for Ice Hockey Women’s football and Basketball Is not an attraction you are deluded.

SL will need to make his mind up on whether he takes on major shareholders and new board members or just sell the lot including the ground lock stock n barrel. For my tuppence SL is not the sort to want to share major decisions  

30 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

We were well supported last time we were there for four years regardless of who we were playing. 

I hate the term sleeping giant, I see it as a metaphor for shit club that’s not done much in more years than anyone cares to remember! REMIND YOU OF ANYONE!

As for the original post. I have posted on the subject a few times. There is interest in the US. Ashton finding a buyer for Ipswich and effing off there was not a coincidence. 

it’s a matter of investment. Ipswich was cheap. Bristol City/Sport with all that entails is not. Rugby is shown live in the US on NBC and if you don’t think having feeder teams for Ice Hockey Women’s football and Basketball Is not an attraction you are deluded.

SL will need to make his mind up on whether he takes on major shareholders and new board members or just sell the lot including the ground lock stock n barrel. For my tuppence SL is not the sort to want to share major decisions  

Interested in the form you think the interest might take. 

Benevolent cash splasher?

Professional Investors willing to go big early in pursuit of an eventual medium-long term ROI?

Those who use leveraged buyouts?

The size of portfolio alone could mean a hefty initial sale/purchase price- then there's ongoing losses (common place at this level) yet FFP puts a cap on the upper limit.

The FFP angle may mean 2-3 years before they could legitimately and realistically go big for example. 

Or they if they got involved could roll the dice this season and hope for promotion this season and no later, with the usual range of risks and consequences if not achieved.

Just wonder how much headroom they'd actually have and how you think their plans and these factors might overlap.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interested in the form you think the interest might take. 

US Sports investors with cash. The stock market and tax breaks have some awash with dollar bills

Benevolent cash splasher?

Ain’t nothing benevolent in the States

Professional Investors willing to go big early in pursuit of an eventual medium-long term ROI?

All of the above, however they would need to comply with EFL rules, but BCFC are not the only component 

Those who use leveraged buyouts?

Some leverage is likely but by no means the major component 

The size of portfolio alone would be hefty, then there's ongoing losses (common place at this level) yet FFP puts a cap on the upper limit.

Exactly! Loses are hefty for the mere mortal. However the value of the ground and the training facility as an asset are huge plus the value of the two major sports clubs one of whom is playing at the top of its profession is decent also the possibilities of the other value adds as I mentioned before   

The FFP angle may mean 2-3 years before they could legitimately and realistically go big for example. 

If current revenue streams Remain the same. However players are cheaper now and who knows what could be done to increase revenue to the club  

Or they if they got involved could roll the dice this season and hope for promotion this season and no later, with the usual range of risks and consequences if not achieved.

Depends when a deal gets done. 

Just wonder how much headroom they'd actually have.

Depends what you mean by headroom. The fact that SL has prewarned us all of something happening tells me that he may have already been close once. I did say on here when the club went silent last season it felt like a quiet period. Three months AFTER SL went on a poddy to tell us his thoughts  

I don’t typically answer in line but it seemed sensible 

4 hours ago, Calculus said:

Not sure that attendance at Wembley is any indicator. Always a load of folk having a day out who would never go to the Gate.

(Well do I remember tell my in-laws that my son and me were going to Wembley to see City play Stoke in 2000. Father in law says he's never been, so I do the nice thing and offer to take him. He says thanks, and then 'hear that Margaret, John's taking us to Wembley'. At that my wife says 'well, if your taking mum and dad then me and Amy (daughter) will go as well. All of a sudden our party had gone from 2 to 6. Olympic Gallery. Cost me a bl**dy fortune. Since then not one of the 4 extras has attended one match, not that I've ever made that mistake again!)

It’s a reasonably good barometer of support I think. Loads of football league clubs couldn't sell 40k - both us and Rovers could and probably more if we were able to.

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Day trippers go to Wembley . If we really had 40,000 fans why don’t we sell out every week 

Not saying they’re fans necessarily - but lots of those are people with a passive interest who could be converted to regulars. My point is Wembley attendance is a decent barometer of a team’s interest. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a reasonably good barometer of support I think. Loads of football league clubs couldn't sell 40k - both us and Rovers could and probably more if we were able to.

They got nowhere near that for their Bananarama play off final a few years ago. Unless there were twenty thousand locked outside!

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ah, but in the one season where we both get to Wembley (us in March, them in May), we take 42,000, Rovers 27,000. So, some of the "day trippers"/neutrals, having been once in March, weren't going again a few weeks later.

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

They got nowhere near that for their Bananarama play off final a few years ago. Unless there were twenty thousand locked outside!

47 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Ah, but in the one season where we both get to Wembley (us in March, them in May), we take 42,000, Rovers 27,000. So, some of the "day trippers"/neutrals, having been once in March, weren't going again a few weeks later.

Fair enough. Scratch that then - just us. I wasn’t suggesting that there’s people that would go to Wembley for either club btw.

Archived