IGNORED

Nagy to Pisa - Departure CONFIRMED (Merged)

al3xrh0des

Just now, GrahamC said:

Take the point but Nagy’s performances in the Euros are already a bit of a memory.

Since then he is now effectively a player who wants to leave England who can’t even make the bench of a Championship side.

If the best (only?) offer is a team in Serie B then we have a very weak hand, we might be able to get them to pay a small fee but no way will they match his reputed £16k a week wages, so he is fully entitled to ask us to make up the difference to leave.

I am nowhere near as au fait with financial matters as others, but this looks more like a hit than any boost to our transfer funds to me.

Yeah, I'm no Mr Popadopoulous so tend to view it in a very basic way.

I think it depends a bit on Nagy. I doubt a Serie B side would want to pay 16k a week - but I read on here he's recently had his first child. He lived in Italy for a while and it's closer to home so perhaps he'd be prepared to take a pay cut to be back there. A fair bit of "wild speculation" there but it makes sense.

We will definitely take a hit on him overall though I have no doubt. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I'm no Mr Popadopoulous so tend to view it in a very basic way.

I think it depends a bit on Nagy. I doubt a Serie B side would want to pay 16k a week - but I read on here he's recently had his first child. He lived in Italy for a while and it's closer to home so perhaps he'd be prepared to take a pay cut to be back there. A fair bit of "wild speculation" there but it makes sense.

We will definitely take a hit on him overall though I have no doubt. 

Good points & you are correct that if Nagy is so keen to leave then he does have some responsibility in making sure that the deal goes through, by accepting that Serie B pays nothing like Championship clubs in wages so might end up slightly worse off.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good points & you are correct that if Nagy is so keen to leave then he does have some responsibility in making sure that the deal goes through, by accepting that Serie B pays nothing like Championship clubs in wages so might end up slightly worse off.

Thanks, it depends what his motivators are. Another thing I've read on here is that his wife/partner has found it hard to settle in Bristol (not sure how anyone would know that necessarily) so the move abroad makes sense if true.

I think he's potentially a very useful player just not quite right for us. I'd rather have James/HNM playing in midfield and I think Pearson prefers that too. I believe if Nagy has handed in a transfer request it changes our obligations regarding his contract. 

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Take the point but Nagy’s performances in the Euros are already a bit of a memory.

Since then he is now effectively a player who wants to leave England who can’t even make the bench of a Championship side.

If the best (only?) offer is a team in Serie B then we have a very weak hand, we might be able to get them to pay a small fee but no way will they match his reputed £16k a week wages, so he is fully entitled to ask us to make up the difference to leave.

I am nowhere near as au fait with financial matters as others, but this looks more like a hit than any boost to our transfer funds to me.

I thought because he has asked to leave we do not have an obligation to make up his wages. I could be wrong though.

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thanks, it depends what his motivators are. Another thing I've read on here is that his wife/partner has found it hard to settle in Bristol (not sure how anyone would know that necessarily) so the move abroad makes sense if true.

I think he's potentially a very useful player just not quite right for us. I'd rather have James/HNM playing in midfield and I think Pearson prefers that too. I believe if Nagy has handed in a transfer request it changes our obligations regarding his contract. 

Did his wife/partner actually come over at all? I thought I'd seen that she had stayed abroad (presumably Italy).

Of course she could have come over when he signed and realised very quickly that she wanted to go back.

Just now, cidercity said:

I thought because he has asked to leave we do not have an obligation to make up his wages. I could be wrong though.

If he's officially put in a transfer request I think that's correct. @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous would be able to confirm that.

There were rumours about him "asking to leave" but that's not necessarily him putting in an official transfer request. It's fairly unusual for players to do that as it weakens their negotiating hand. 

Just now, Taz said:

Did his wife/partner actually come over at all? I thought I'd seen that she had stayed abroad (presumably Italy).

Of course she could have come over when he signed and realised very quickly that she wanted to go back.

I don't know actually. I don't follow the players/WAGs on social media so just pick up what people write on here. 

His access to family may have also been limited in the past 18 months. I know players are seen slightly differently and we forget their ages, but Nagy is only 26 and having his first kid. He's still a very young man and that's a huge life change. I can completely understand why he'd want to be closer to home. 

Just now, cidercity said:

That's my understanding. 

If player A asks for a transfer, we don't have to make up any shortfall in his next wage.

If we sell him without him asking for a transfer, then we have to pay up any shortfall in his next contract. That's how we ended up with JET when he was on big money - Ipswich paid the shortfall in what we were willing to pay him.

Happy to be corrected by someone with a better knowledge of football finances though...

Just now, Taz said:

That's my understanding. 

If player A asks for a transfer, we don't have to make up any shortfall in his next wage.

If we sell him without him asking for a transfer, then we have to pay up any shortfall in his next contract. That's how we ended up with JET when he was on big money - Ipswich paid the shortfall in what we were willing to pay him.

Happy to be corrected by someone with a better knowledge of football finances though...

Yep that's basically my understanding of it. 

I think people often forget the "If we sell him without him asking for a transfer, then we have to pay up any shortfall in his next contract" part when it comes to transfers. People wouldn't necessarily know that and the maths becomes more complex - hence why games like FIFA or FM don't focus on it too much. 

2 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

From Pisa's perspective €1m or even €2m for a player that performed so well at the euros and has proven himself in Italian football (both in terms of playing and feeling settled) is an absolute bargain.  Good luck Adam. 

Just been told by someone at the club that it looks like he’s going today £5-6 Million. Bringing in a striker also depends on this deal going through. 

Not really fussed about this one at all tbh, he was a decent player but felt we have multiple players who offer what he gave City. So indeed one that we can sell to help us stay afloat with FFP. 

5 minutes ago, swanker said:

Just been told by someone at the club that it looks like he’s going today £5-6 Million. Bringing in a striker also depends on this deal going through. 

I do not believe that for one second. Absolutely amazing fee if we pull that off. 

12 minutes ago, swanker said:

£500k or £600k, more like.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I have a horrible feeling this is a free transfer & we are going to be subsidising his wages for the remainder of his contract with us.

Mark Ashton strikes again.

I don’t see us picking up any of his wages if it were a free transfer.  He wants to go, we are under no obligation to pick up his wages….of course deal could falter if Pisa aren’t willing to meet his personal demands.  Of course it depends how keen we are to move him on.  Would be a travesty if we let him run his contract down, in effect he would’ve cost us best part of £5m if that happened.  If Pisa want our player, they ought to stump up, both Pisa and Nagy can’t just expect to leave City and leave them with a financial burden til next summer.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If he's officially put in a transfer request I think that's correct. @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous would be able to confirm that.

There were rumours about him "asking to leave" but that's not necessarily him putting in an official transfer request. It's fairly unusual for players to do that as it weakens their negotiating hand. 

I don’t think “official transfer request” makes too much difference in reality, apart from the bit that means it negates annual contract bonuses.

At the end of the day, Nagy wants to leave (i’m sure we will be pushing that too), he will have asked his agent to find him a new club….imho the ball is in his court to to decide whether Pisa’s terms are acceptable or not.  If they won’t carry on paying him his current wage, then he needs to think about whether he takes a pay cut and a longer contract to balance it out.  Interesting that it’s only a Serie B club in for him.

Good luck Adam. Best outcome is for us to extract the highest fee possible under the circumstances and move on. AN is a good player IMO although he may not be that suited to the Championship, he has also had significant additional personal stuff to cope with.

We don’t want any player who wants away and given our midfield options and style of play losing AN isn’t going to be too detrimental.

Hopefully the fee and salary saving is enough to enable us to bring in a forward either permanently or on loan. 

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep that's basically my understanding of it. 

I think people often forget the "If we sell him without him asking for a transfer, then we have to pay up any shortfall in his next contract" part when it comes to transfers. People wouldn't necessarily know that and the maths becomes more complex - hence why games like FIFA or FM don't focus on it too much. 

Football Manager has that built in….FIFA is crap!

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

£500k or £600k, more like.

Probably Lira ???

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Serie B is not the Championship with parachute payments around . Even with a wealthy owner . It survives on loans from the big clubs and free transfers . Pisa are spending some money . 1 m Euros would be a big fee for a midfielder in Serie B . They spent 2 m euro on a forward . 

not sure where reported wages of 16 k come into it . Who invents the wages ? It’s a fans guess at where they are in the pecking order . 

It’s what I was told….but why I always put alleged next to wages.  If we paid Marley Watkins £10k p.w and Liam Walsh £8/9k p.w (both allegedly ?), then I can see Mark Ashton agreeing £16k for Nagy can’t you?  He might have been a good negotiator of fees for our players, but by the same taken he overpaid on a lot of incomings too.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is that from Knighty's recruitment mate? ?

I can't see how we get anywhere near that amount but hope you're right!

People laughed when I said we had signed Matty James vi was right though. 

Ive just been told Nagy has gone. ?

45 minutes ago, swanker said:

Someone’s got a decimal point in the wrong place ?

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

So, what are people going to agree to do if Swanker is right and he leaves for £6M or €6M then? I'm not convinced but wouldn't be so crass as to leave myself open to stick! ;)

@Swanker, you choose a punishment.

He definitely gone. Not sure for how much but it seems City were looking for a fee in the region of £5 Million 

Archived