IGNORED

Nagy to Pisa - Departure CONFIRMED (Merged)

al3xrh0des

Just now, billywedlock said:

I would suggest quite the opposite. No Serie A club wanted him even on a free. 

Exactly. Pisa have been in Serie C in the past couple of years too. This move is a step-down for Nagy.

Interesting that Morrell has also had to go down a level to Pompey after a supposedly good Euros.

Shows that domestic clubs don't put as much stock on international performances as some people might think...

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly. Pisa have been in Serie C in the past couple of years too. This move is a step-down for Nagy.

Interesting that Morrell has also had to go down a level to Pompey after a supposedly good Euros.

Shows that domestic clubs don't put as much stock on international performances as some people might think...

I think it was something that happened 10+ years ago (same as a 'shop window' performance on Sky). Nowadays clubs have far more sophisticated and data led scouting networks so are largely aware of most players within the same pool of attainability. 

Previously, relatively unknown players who featured in big tournaments might genuinely have been a surprise for clubs who took a punt on them after a good World Cup/Euros/European Cup performance.

I can't imagine clubs commonly making a Peter Styvar signing anymore. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Lansdown is still here mind. Not the first time we've been in this situation under his watch. Employing managers to cut costs / slash wage bills / clear out deadwood.

McInnes came in with that brief after SL had tried to spend his way to the prem but, especially after the catastrophic appointment of Coppell, we were left with ageing journeymen on huge wages and had to make big cuts accordingly.

I don't see that Pearson has been brought in the cut costs per se, but on the back of the  pandemic and Ashton’s mismanagement of players contracts, there is little doubt that he will have to work within a much tighter budget than would be ideal, but, other than clubs receiving parachute payments, I suspect the majority of clubs are in much the same boat.  

By coincidence, Ashton’s management of contracts probably helped clear out a fair bit of deadwood, although in some cases it left us without sell on fees that would be more than handy at the moment. I think we all know that Pearson wants to work with a smaller squad and as he inherited a bloated squad a clear out might be no bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My evaluation.  Decent player not really suited to the centre of a hustling and bustling Championship 

Spot on. 

Nagy wasn’t cut out for the hurly burly of a Championship midfield. Nige picked that up pretty quickly and when he signed King and James Nagy’s days were numbered at AG and AN must have realised that and that along with not feeling settled in England led him to asking to leave.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I wish we’d have done that with Diedhiou.

Agree. Even more frustratingly, there was talk of us actually receiving a fee for Diedhiou in January IIRC. Believe the numbers being thrown about were only £1m-£2m, but that would do so much for us now (and that's not even factoring in the saving in wages).

Thankfully we saw that value on the pitch though, right Mr Ashton!?!?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Then again we let Tomlin commute from Leicester way didn’t we, even though we let him have an apartment on the water?  O’Neil never relocated, etc.  I’m not suggesting Nagy was Easyjetting it in from Bologna or Budapest every few days, but he looked like he never settled for whatever reason.

I saw Adam near where I expect was his apartment on several occasions during his time with us.

He was always on his own & I’m pretty sure that his partner chose not to return to Bristol after last season ended.

I think a combination of factors around becoming a father, his partner’s reluctance to live here, not really feeling that the football suited him & even the weather (he mentioned it a few times), all came together in his decision to go.

Although I thought it was a rushed signing at the time & connected to us cashing in on Pack, I’m not sure that additional due diligence would have changed much.

Just now, GrahamC said:

I saw Adam near where I expect was his apartment on several occasions during his time with us.

He was always on his own & I’m pretty sure that his partner chose not to return to Bristol after last season ended.

I think a combination of factors around becoming a father, his partner’s reluctance to live here, not really feeling that the football suited him & even the weather (he mentioned it a few times), all came together in his decision to go.

Although I thought it was a rushed signing at the time & connected to us cashing in on Pack, I’m not sure that additional due diligence would have changed much.

Agreed. I know the money is meant to cushion the blow somewhat.. but footballers are young men with relatively little life experience.

I imagine not settling, particularly under that set of circumstances, is pretty common.

Not always the case of course - Diedhiou appeared to settle very well here. Entirely depends on the individual. 

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Sometimes these things happen. How diligent would our scouting team have been to know that his partner was going to have a baby while he was under contract with us, and that would contribute to him potentially being homesick? Does it make up part of their scouting report?

I imagine only by speaking with the players agent/agency might that become apparent but even then would they tell a potential suitor he might go homesick and miss out on a lucrative contract? He may have thought with potential of getting into the prem and doubling his wage, he could cope with any homesickness.

Just now, billywedlock said:

I think posters such as @Harryhave been quite clear on this matter. It is one thing to use data and analysis (though almost everyone uses the readily available tools) quite another to then go to full eyes on the ground and character checks. I was told quite clearly by someone, still at the club, that some players were signed without ever being watched live. 

Any names mentioned in particular?

If the market is flat, as I think @Davefevs suggested, then perhaps we are needing to be a bit creative with transfer activity. Pearson will have highlighted areas he wants to strengthen, but if, as many suspect, we are sailing a bit too close to ffp limits, he also knows he can’t just go and spend a few million in transfer fees and big wages to bring players in.

It is clear that Nagy told the club he wanted to leave, and did so first a year ago. That being the case Pearson will want to move him on, especially as it now seems that Nagy is a way down the midfield pecking order, so his wages are a drag on the club finances the longer he stays. It would seem there has been little interest and if Pisa were the only club prepared to look at him, they probably baulked at the fee and/ or wages. If we agreed a free transfer that might have been sufficient to seal the deal and ensure that we didn't have to part fund wages going forward.

I wonder whether we might be prepared to do something equally constructive to move Wells on, as I doubt there are many clubs in a position to pay a fee and pick up the wages he is on here?

If we bite the bullet on transfer fees for these two, but it gets their wages off the books and enables , say, a decent striker to be afforded, then suddenly not getting a fee for one or eve both doesn’t look so bad a deal.

Does seem to be an issue with some of our overseas signings settling in, and you have to wonder if there was more the club could be doing, especially for the younger players.

I thought this sort of activity fell to Matt Parsons now?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-citys-supporter-liaison-officer-3107546

Archived