IGNORED

Nagy to Pisa - Departure CONFIRMED (Merged)

al3xrh0des

Disappointing. Always had high hopes for Nagy, but for one reason or another it wasn't meant to be. It does feel a bit like now we have Matty James and Massengo is developing nicely, we have some strong midfield options, so it was probably best to further reduce the numbers in this area. Hopefully Williams will return to full fitness one day and Bakinson can develop for us into the player he has the potential to be.

For all the talk of DNA in the LJ/MA era, you do wonder how much they considered the DNA of the club and making players feel part of it. Stockpiling players in certain positions was never going to end well.

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

McInnes came in with that brief after SL had tried to spend his way to the prem but, especially after the catastrophic appointment of Coppell, we were left with ageing journeymen on huge wages and had to make big cuts accordingly.

I don't see that Pearson has been brought in the cut costs per se, but on the back of the  pandemic and Ashton’s mismanagement of players contracts, there is little doubt that he will have to work within a much tighter budget than would be ideal, but, other than clubs receiving parachute payments, I suspect the majority of clubs are in much the same boat.  

By coincidence, Ashton’s management of contracts probably helped clear out a fair bit of deadwood, although in some cases it left us without sell on fees that would be more than handy at the moment. I think we all know that Pearson wants to work with a smaller squad and as he inherited a bloated squad a clear out might be no bad thing.

Let’s not forget who joined the club in consultant mode during McInnes’s rein?  Mark Ashton, that’s who!  Got rid of McInnes’s trusted Recruitment guy Russ Richardson, who ended up back at Aberdeen and just gone to Liverpool.  I’m not saying McInnes was blameless at all (it was a period when I want quite so heavily following City), but Ashton had form before Burt was dismissed for dismissing HoRs….creating a gap for him to meddle.

I actually had no real issue with certain players contracts expiring and leaving for free, but Diedhiou and Walsh (even though I was still to be convinced) were very bad.  Chances to get fees in….and SL not helping with in Fam’s case “we will get our value on the pitch”.  SL does not know football (the playing side), he needs to leave it to those who do…abd that wasn’t MA or JL either.

We should’ve got £2m min last summer for Fam, £1m in January, plus wages saved.  That’s anywhere between £1.5-3.0m in our coffers, not allowed to go out of the club.

Makes me angry.

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think posters such as @Harryhave been quite clear on this matter. It is one thing to use data and analysis (though almost everyone uses the readily available tools) quite another to then go to full eyes on the ground and character checks. I was told quite clearly by someone, still at the club, that some players were signed without ever being watched live. 

People talk about Brentford and rightly so, but they have a bespoke data analysis tool and a huge physical scouting and verification network. 

We are still far away from a recruitment set up that will mach the best, but at least we now know we don't have the best and will work to fill gaps and improve. The first task is to admit you have a problem. we had a big problem, and the core of that problem is now at Ipswich. 

I remember LJ talking about how many times they visited Italy for whoever it was out  Djuric, Pisano or Magnússon.  It’s pretty clear the likes of Gieffer, Hegeler, etc weren’t scouted in the same way.

That is the bit that is often conveniently forgotten.

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

There must be a lot of decent free agents knocking about given who was released at the end of the season.

From my point of view there was a dearth of quality in the OOC / released lists.  Many players no better than what we had, what we let go.  I’m sure the club are reviewing again, but striker wise there was nobody realistic who jumped off the page.  Even players like Ashley Fletcher who I could see being a good signing and realistic (imho) went to PL Watford.

5 minutes ago, swanker said:

Apparently that’s what City we’re looking for. Don’t know what he went for but it wasn’t for nothing. 

So that’s a change in tack from what you originally posted.

31 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I think posters such as @Harryhave been quite clear on this matter. It is one thing to use data and analysis (though almost everyone uses the readily available tools) quite another to then go to full eyes on the ground and character checks. I was told quite clearly by someone, still at the club, that some players were signed without ever being watched live. 

People talk about Brentford and rightly so, but they have a bespoke data analysis tool and a huge physical scouting and verification network. 

We are still far away from a recruitment set up that will mach the best, but at least we now know we don't have the best and will work to fill gaps and improve. The first task is to admit you have a problem. we had a big problem, and the core of that problem is now at Ipswich, Sunderland and Stoke

35 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Pity. The legacies of the LJ/Ashton era look worse by the day.

It is not just LJ/Ashton era it is the era when Lansdown funded it all and let it happen. And now we are scrapping around for some/any money to sign a striker when we have a billionaire owner. What a way to run a club.

• Admin
4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Player wants to go.

We want him gone, due to his salary. 

Knowing this, why on Earth would Pisa pay anything significant for him? We have no leverage on the deal.

Because they were not the only side trying to sign him

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It is not just LJ/Ashton era it is the era when Lansdown funded it all and let it happen. And now we are scrapping around for some/any money to sign a striker when we have a billionaire owner. What a way to run a club.

Yes, the value on the pitch comment id forgotten about until fevs brought it up just now. 

this sort of thing is why we are going nowhere fast, and so many other clubs have made it to the premier league and we havent.

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Oh I agree...I've long been a critic of Lansdown's stewardship - not that he's a bad thing, far from it, just that he's not very good at running a football club, hasn't been for decades, repeats his mistakes, holds all the power to himself and rarely appears to ask for help. Maybe appointing Pearson is that cry for help?

I was also long a LJ sceptic, those final couple of seasons - when Lansdown was determined to cling onto his LJ dream - seemed a wasted opportunity to push on at the time...even more so now.

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this money funds the striker we want and that's it for incomings.

We would then likely be looking to move on Moore and Wells to reduce numbers. 

I'd be surprised if Pearson wants to bring in a right back.

On the wings we don't look too bad now with Pring and Scott looking good. Pearson likes O'Dowda and Semenyo who are probably both competing to start games soon. A number of other options out wide too. 

With us playing well and more players returning from injury and hopefully that new striker to compete with Martin, I'd be happy enough with the overall business done. But only if we get the right striker in. Nige said post match that's the missing link, it really does look to me that's the only player he feels we need.

Odowda s a waste of space plenty of chances cant beat a man and a regular at Bupa .

22 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

5-6m my backside, you need to get out more.

I do get out and about, that’s what I was doing this morning. At 9:00 when working I was told by a really good source that Nagy was going to Italy for between 5 and 6 Million.(I was as surprised as you by the amount) About 11:00 I was told he was gone but the guy said he didn’t know how much for. I thought I share this info on here because I was excited by the thought of a striker coming in. 

No mention on any names or amounts for a striker. 

19 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It just seems like a double ended sword, not buying good players because of FFP so we may well eventually go down if we keep selling anyone with any value or buy players and get screwed by FFP and most likely go down. Kinda just feels like we're just delaying the inveitable of the squad getting possibly weaker every season. Just how much from sells do we need to make before we don't need to worry about FFP?! I keep hearing we're near the danger zone. 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

We are still far away from a recruitment set up that will mach the best, but at least we now know we don't have the best and will work to fill gaps and improve. The first task is to admit you have a problem. we had a big problem, and the core of that problem is now at Ipswich. 

Thank God for that but not watching players is just suicide,Hopefully now we have more professional people at the club things will change obviously not forgetting the young talent at the club as well.. Think we have a brighter future but it's going to take time.

8 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes your probably right in the fact he will play just dont rate him hes a bottler should have got rid of him when leeds were interested not the sort of winger we've been used to over the years .

At the risk of going off on a tangent, he’s not a winger, and there is no intent in the formation 4-2-3-1 to play pure “wingers”. It’s about mobile footballers who will cut inside and are comfortable playing infield as well (or if not moreso) than on the wing. O’Dowda fits that bill - plays CM for Ireland.

The players who’ve played “wide” in the 3 this season have been COD, Palmer, Weimann, Scott and Pring. Not a winger amongst them.

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

It just seems like a double ended sword, not buying good players because of FFP so we may well eventually go down if we keep selling anyone with any value or buy players and get screwed by FFP and most likely go down. Kinda just feels like we're just delaying the inveitable of the squad getting possibly weaker every season. Just how much from sells do we need to make before we don't need to worry about FFP?! I keep hearing we're near the danger zone. 

It’s what I’ve been saying for 2 or 3 years….overpaying for players (fees and wages), increasing the cost base far quicker than the revenue streams that were probably nearing max prior to Covid.  All whilst not really improving the squad.  It’s come home to roost.  It’s hard to get out if, especially in this climate.

17 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Odowda s a waste of space plenty of chances cant beat a man and a regular at Bupa .

I know what you mean but he definitely can beat a man and for that great goal at Norwich beat 3. We played so negative under LJ in his last two seasons that it hardly helped him. Here's hoping anyway he will prove us wrong and become more consistent.

32 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

An absolute shambles....

I sometimes wonder/have my doubts about quite how astute certain individuals in actuality are.

And then add to the recipe signing players with no physical scouting whatsoever??

Sadly I'm not at all shocked!

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

At the risk of going off on a tangent, he’s not a winger, and there is no intent in the formation 4-2-3-1 to play pure “wingers”. It’s about mobile footballers who will cut inside and are comfortable playing infield as well (or if not moreso) than on the wing. O’Dowda fits that bill - plays CM for Ireland.

The players who’ve played “wide” in the 3 this season have been COD, Palmer, Weimann, Scott and Pring. Not a winger amongst them.

He was a winger though, when he signed and for his first couple of seasons.  Then Ireland played him LCM.

Re current system, I see it as more 4411 (sorry, broken record), but Pring has actually started inside with runs in to out.  Scott is just fluid, and smart.

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

The future looks pretty bleak then.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s what I’ve been saying for 2 or 3 years….overpaying for players (fees and wages), increasing the cost base far quicker than the revenue streams that were probably nearing max prior to Covid.  All whilst not really improving the squad.  It’s come home to roost.  It’s hard to get out if, especially in this climate.

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

The future looks pretty bleak then.

Not going to lie lads i posted that hoping someone would be able to convince me I was chatting shit and how it's going to be okay, don't agree with me ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

This must be the case for loads of clubs. We have seen it with Derby yes but surely Forest, Cardiff, Reading must be dithering on the edge worse than we are. 

Archived