IGNORED

European football visits

arrytheb

Anyone got any recommendations on European grounds/matches to visit once travel restrictions are lifted? 

Not discounting the main obvious grounds of the big clubs but also happy to have other recommendations. 

Ideally flights from Bristol on budget airlines.

I've relatively recently been to Hamburg which was very good. Would like to go to some of the German grounds (been to Schalke old ground but new one is possibility).

Anyone got any thoughts or stories if trips? 

Hertha Berlin has been my favourite . Haven’t been to Union yet but the Olympic Stadium has an amazing atmosphere and great history surrounding it. Great architecture as well if that’s your thing. Easy to get to from Bristol and Berlin’s an incredible city.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, lenred said:

Hertha Berlin has been my favourite . Haven’t been to Union yet but the Olympic Stadium has an amazing atmosphere and great history surrounding it. Great architecture as well if that’s your thing. Easy to get to from Bristol and Berlin’s an incredible city.  

Did that on my stag weekend v Stuttgart.

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Went to Berlin many years ago but probably didn't get to appreciate the city as much as I should have. Hertha could be a good shout tho

7 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

Went to Berlin many years ago but probably didn't get to appreciate the city as much as I should have. Hertha could be a good shout tho

On our last day, having done beer to death, we did the bus tour around the sights.  So glad we did, well worth it. My bruv (my best man) had worked out there not long after the wall came down and he said it was an amazing place.

I'm not a ground hopper, and when I've been places I tend to be unlucky with games being on, but.

Pisa, specially as I've just seen Nagy linked. Just behind the dodgy tower. The one European ground I've actually seen a game at.
Como FC, right on the Lake but my timing was off and no games were scheduled . 
Athletic Bilbao, fantastic City and the ground is a short walk from the centre. We go to a Soul weekend there and when I've been they were away or international break, the year I missed, I missed the local derby ?. Did go to the café and shop, great ground, and flights were regular and cheap last time we went 3 years ago.

9 hours ago, arrytheb said:

Anyone got any recommendations on European grounds/matches to visit once travel restrictions are lifted? 

Not discounting the main obvious grounds of the big clubs but also happy to have other recommendations. 

Ideally flights from Bristol on budget airlines.

I've relatively recently been to Hamburg which was very good. Would like to go to some of the German grounds (been to Schalke old ground but new one is possibility).

Anyone got any thoughts or stories if trips? 

I'd recommend going to the Bernabéu with Rayo Vallecano and watching as an away fan.

I went a few years back with some friends, "football special" style metro from Vallecas has a very unique feel. Great atmosphere in the away end despite being thrashed.

They have a fairly left wing support akin to St. Pauli in Germany. Really interesting experience. 

8 hours ago, David Brent said:

Very cheap flights to Milan from Bristol. From there there are plenty of options.

A few years ago we flew into Milan (Bergamo) to do Inter v Napoli on the Saturday night then Atalanta v Genoa on the Sunday. Atalanta are in Bergamo, which is quite a nice town in its own right and handy for the airport.

Or alternatively you can get just about anywhere in Northern/Central Italy by train from Milan.

• Thanks 1

I’ve seen a game at the Allianz in Munich. Also been to Bordeaux. Both great grounds. Also, in Budapest you have 4 clubs to choose from so there should always be a home game on when you visit. 

If you’re looking for something a little odd, try Venice or Pisa.

EasyJet normally fly Bristol to Rome where you could watch Tammy again!

Ive been to several Rome derbys which are something special. Usually. Last time I went with a friend, having planned it telling him how amazing the atmosphere was, and it turned out there was a fan’s “strike” that season and there was a crowd of 20,000 and no atmosphere at all!

Did the Rome derby and it was incredible, atmosphere before and during was mad 

swore we would start doing an Italian game every year but then covid hit sadly

got my eye on a trip to Atalanta

no idea what’s going on with san Siro, last I read it was the final Milan derby there in early 2020 but seems they are still playing there?

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Athletic Bilbao

Bilbao is amazing. Went on the tour of the old San Mames but sadly not for a game. 

Saw Chicago Fire v. San Jose Earthquakes at Soldier Field - that was an experience. Ditto Stenhousmuir v. Queen's Park at Ochilview. Only other game I've seen "abroad" was Crocovia v. Lech Poznan in Krakow. Another great City. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clunes said:

I’ve seen a game at the Allianz in Munich. Also been to Bordeaux. Both great grounds. Also, in Budapest you have 4 clubs to choose from so there should always be a home game on when you visit. 

If you’re looking for something a little odd, try Venice or Pisa.

Fly into Pisa from Bristol and its also an easy train journey to Florence for Fiorentina (and one of the world's great little cities too).

14 hours ago, lenred said:

Been to Hertha twice in last couple of years. Great old stadium steeped in history and Berlin is an amazing city to stay in. Deffo looking to go back a third time in the future. HAHOHE. Last trip cost £175 for return flights from Bristol, 4 nights accommodation and match ticket. Great value if you find the right times to go 

Edited by Wealwayseatcheese
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Did the Rome derby and it was incredible, atmosphere before and during was mad 

swore we would start doing an Italian game every year but then covid hit sadly

got my eye on a trip to Atalanta

no idea what’s going on with san Siro, last I read it was the final Milan derby there in early 2020 but seems they are still playing there?

The plan is for a new stadium next door to the current one although the latest info I can find is that it's on hold as Inter haven't committed to paying their share of it.

They want to be in there for the start of the 2024/25 season and it's also due to host the Winter Olympics opening ceremony in 2026.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Been to Hertha twice in last couple of years. Great old stadium steeped in history and Berlin is an amazing city to stay in. Deffo looking to go back a third time in the future. HAHOHE. Last trip cost £175 for return flights from Bristol, 4 nights accommodation and match ticket. Great value if you find the right times to go 

It’s going back a bit now but my stag weekend was about £90 each.

Cheap easyJet flight from stanstead, mini-coach up there and pick up, 3 nights in a youth hostel type place.  Spent many times that on KFC and beer whilst there though!, 

Quite enjoyed Roma v Inter in late August 2017. Opening home game of season and a bit of an edge as ex Roma manager who walked out in the Summer back with Inter...he got some flak when his name read out. Good atmosphere, Roma quite a good side at that time- the ones who reached CL semis that year as well as beating Chelsea, Barcelona and Liverpool in Rome in that years CL enroute to it.

Good city too, Rome though clearly a bit more 'real' than Tuscany or similar.

Others who have been to other European nations to watch football will know more than me but one of the things I liked was beer sold in seat...quite the reverse to here! Obviously went behind the goal, the Curva itself of course would be long sold out for a game like that, perhaps was ST only even- but the Distinti just next to it was pretty good as well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous