IGNORED

The Good ol' Intelligent OTIB IT Issues Help

Markman

this is driving me nuts!

I am not sure I can link it to the last windows update anyhow my email is a Microsoft Outlook version (not gmail etc)

emails work fine and read well BUT - over the last month or two EVERY email that has an attachment (receipts, tickets anything at all) when I go to open the attachment I get a box appear headed

select the encoding that makes your document readable - this is on every attachment

Now - I can save them and then use adobe or something and they open in a readable format - but if I save them and try and open in word I get the same gobbledygook 

I have been on-line and can see this is a sort of known issue but I cannot resolve it - any ideas? Thanks in advance 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Markman said:

this is driving me nuts!

I am not sure I can link it to the last windows update anyhow my email is a Microsoft Outlook version (not gmail etc)

emails work fine and read well BUT - over the last month or two EVERY email that has an attachment (receipts, tickets anything at all) when I go to open the attachment I get a box appear headed

select the encoding that makes your document readable - this is on every attachment

Now - I can save them and then use adobe or something and they open in a readable format - but if I save them and try and open in word I get the same gobbledygook 

I have been on-line and can see this is a sort of known issue but I cannot resolve it - any ideas? Thanks in advance 

Found the below, not sure if it helps?

Choose an encoding standard when you open a file

If, when you open a file, text appears garbled or as question marks or boxes, Word may not have accurately detected the encoding standard of text in the file. You can specify the encoding standard that you can use to display (decode) the text.

1. Click the File tab.

2. Click Options.

3. Click Advanced.

4. Scroll to the General section, and then select the Confirm file format conversion on open check box.

Note: When this check box is selected, Word displays the Convert File dialog box every time you open a file in a format other than a Word format (Word formats include .doc, .dot, .docx, .docm, .dotx, or .dotm files). If you frequently work with such files but rarely want to choose an encoding standard, remember to switch this option off to prevent having this dialog box open unnecessarily.

5. Close and then reopen the file.

6. In the Convert File dialog box, select Encoded Text.

7. In the File Conversion dialog box, select Other encoding, and then select the encoding standard that you want from the list.

You can preview the text in the Preview area to check whether all the text is readable in the encoding standard that you selected.

If almost all the text looks the same (for example, all boxes or all dots), the font required for displaying the characters may not be installed. If the font that you need is not available, you can install additional fonts.

To install additional fonts, do the following:

1. In Microsoft Windows, click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.

2. Do one of the following:

In Windows 7

1. In Control Panel, click Uninstall a program.

2. In the list of programs, click the listing for Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.

In Windows Vista

1. In Control Panel, click Uninstall a program.

2. In the list of programs, click the listing for Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.

In Microsoft Windows XP

1. In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.

2. In the Currently installed programs box, click the listing for Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.

3. Under Change your installation of Microsoft Office, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Continue.

4. Under Installation Options, expand Office Shared Features, and then expand International Support.

5. Select the font set that you need, click the arrow next to your selection, and then select Run from My Computer.

Archived