IGNORED

Formations

BilboBaggins05

2 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

Is it just me who’s noticed we’ve switched to a 442 in 3 of our last 4. Wells moving up top with Martin vs Boro and Weimann doing so vs Reading and Swansea. 

Personally I think we’ve been play “more” 442 than 4231 all pre-season and now league.  As a compromise I call it 4411. ???

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Listen to the likes of Klopp and Dyche talk about formations and one realises that it is more fan talk than manager talk. The modern game is too fluid (or at least should be) for formations. 

It’s no more than a basic “shape”.  I quite often take pics during a match to check both teams shape in certain phases as a reference point, more often when it’s an opponent I know less about.  It’s so nice being back in the ground and seeing the whole pitch again, unlike tv where you see the 15-20 yards both sides of the ball.

image.thumb.jpeg.55effa0d67c553225a09e1eb9ef082bc.jpeg

City team & or formation I’d like us to play against Cardiff - fitness dependent:

GK/ Bentley;

RCB/ Kalas, MCB/ Baker, LCB/ Atkinson;

RWB/ Vyner, CM/ James, CM/ Massengo,

LWB/ *Pring or *JD;

ACM/ Weimann;

CF/ Wells,     CF/ Martin;

*I couldn’t make my mind up, maybe Pring?!

COYR.

Basic shape as formation is an interesting argument, not one I'd given much thought to before.

Just one individual piece switched in a formation though can make a significant difference even if the players are largely the same...e.g.

4-4-1-1.

If Reid is the one, that can drop in quite nicely to a 4-3-3/4-5-1 out of possession- he was at his best like two players really, a striker of sorts and a CM.

Likewise if Brownhill had kicked on goals wise in a world where he stays, playing him on the right- or as the '1' could have been interesting- energy yet goals, if on the right then Weimann as the '1', then out of possession again Brownhill can drop in and Weimann can tuck in onto the right.

If it's Palmer however that tactical flexibility and variety in game goes somewhat!

Like with that near perfect shape we had when all the injuries hit under LJ...change one player type or component part and the overall flexibility and fluidity can decline sharply. Weimann and Reid differ as style but are a closer fit than say Palmer and Reid.

I've always thought them quite important, peak Barcelona in a traditional 4-4-2 e.g. could really have negated some of their strengths, then closer to our level teams such as Brentford in recent years, Leeds under Bielsa, there will be a few...think you need that true extra CM type player in possession heavy systems to really try and control things, with added stability too. At a Championship to PL level but not elite PL level, Swansea under Martinez via Sousa onto Rodgers through to the end of Laudrup's days, doubt 4-4-2 or one of the central players a Palmer type suits them in that scenario.

16 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Listen to the likes of Klopp and Dyche talk about formations and one realises that it is more fan talk than manager talk. The modern game is too fluid (or at least should be) for formations. 

Modern game is fluid because it's so tactically advanced.  There are multiple structures for multiple scenarios.  It's highly organised and the best organised are the most efficient and most successful.  The word formation is wrong. It's structural.  Any structure makes the most out of what you have and does the best to hide weaknesses.  You can see from that picture that with JD - smart opponents will have their right sided attacker high and wide.  It pins him back as well as giving you the option of switching it permanently as JD is so small.

Archived