IGNORED

A player you wish still played for us

Sturny

Alison came back with swindon, i recall, when they won the leauge in the mid 90s.

They had paul allen playing too i recall.

When he won those 3 50 50 tackles on the trot that day, the place erupted like we won the european cup!

When allen, won those tackles, i recall nugent scoring for us.

Pretty sure was vs plymouth?

Another striker signed by jj, we got value out off.

The chief was a good signing, no doubt about that.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Seriously? First time I watched him, I was stunned. I knew immediately there was no way we could keep him. I remember him destroying Luton at their place, and a Luton fan saying to me after “that kid Cole is absolute class” 

... well he did bang out some monster tunes in the ‘80s - you can’t beat a bit of Stool Pigeon ... ?

There are loads of great players mentioned above, but out of those ex-City players who could still get into the side now and do a job I would have (off the top of my head):

Tammy
Ayling
Webster
Brownhill
Eliasson
Magnússon (I know I criticised him a lot for giving the ball away, but there was definitely a good player in there - and his long throws were amazing)

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

There are loads of great players mentioned above, but out of those ex-City players who could still get into the side now and do a job I would have (off the top of my head):

Tammy
Ayling
Webster
Brownhill
Magnússon (I know I criticised him a lot for giving the ball away, but there was definitely a good player in there - and his long throws were amazing)

I remember the first time I watched Magnússon vs Newcastle at the gate, I thought he was one of the best defenders i'd seen play for us. Won everything thrown at him. There was a fair amount of criticism of him on here that season too, I was always puzzled by it. Maybe I only saw his best games. 

He was in the defensive line up Vs those prem clubs Watford, Stoke, Crystal palace and Man Utd. 

19 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I remember the first time I watched Magnússon vs Newcastle at the gate, I thought he was one of the best defenders i'd seen play for us. Won everything thrown at him. There was a fair amount of criticism of him on here that season too, I was always puzzled by it. Maybe I only saw his best games. 

He was in the defensive line up Vs those prem clubs Watford, Stoke, Crystal palace and Man Utd. 

I think he was a big confidence player. I imagine that's often the case for younger players coming from abroad.

Under Johnson, there was a recurring theme with many of our foreign players that moved on.. all looked lacking in confidence. Magnússon, Diony, Engvall.. I know he's English but Taylor Moore also.

I think that was a big weakness of Johnson - he didn't seem able to man-manage players particularly well. I appreciate football management is tough and managing young men with lots of money and big egos is a challenge in itself - but there does seem to be a fair few players who've left the club who seem quite resentful towards Johnson.

It's strange because Johnson comes across as a good man. I think he was and is learning on the job to an extent and real man management qualities take years to perfect. 

Of player available now, I'd probably want Ayling back.  Fills a position we have problems with, and he's developed as a player since his time with us - and he was good then!

We seem to get rid of him because the club and Lee Johnson decided to overreact to media storm [a storm in a pee-cup!] that was not of his making. I think the unfairness of that rankled with Luke. 

Tammy would be great, but unrealistic. 

1 minute ago, Slippin cider said:

Danny Haynes …..:yawn:

There were times when he looked absolutely brilliant. Fast, direct and dangerous. Amazed his career went downhill so fast.

Another player who I don't think has been mentioned - Leroy Lita when he first broke through. People talking about Michail Antonio and how we lack a player like him - think Lita is the closest we've had. I also really rated Steve Brooker when he was fit, looked great at times for us. 

50 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I remember the first time I watched Magnússon vs Newcastle at the gate, I thought he was one of the best defenders i'd seen play for us. Won everything thrown at him. There was a fair amount of criticism of him on here that season too, I was always puzzled by it. Maybe I only saw his best games

He had good games - and great games (hence he's in my list here). 

For me, Magnússon was brilliant in the tackle - but then, after all that good work, he'd look up and pass the ball short, straight back to the opposition - when even blindly hoofing it forward would have been safer!! I DID criticise him for this, but that doesn't mean I didn't rate him.
Composure in making a clearance can be trained into players - look at Flint for example; when he first arrived he was great in the air but pretty poor with his feet. He settled down and became really rather good with his feet. I seriously thought that we could do this with Magnússon and I was very disappointed when he left us - for a cheap price too. 

I'd have him back now, definitely.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bad enough to score twice against Liverpool, a hat trick against Birmingham at home, to score 15 league goals in a season playing up front for an Osman side (the next highest was 6), when his “support” was Ian Baird & Liam Robinson (who got 9 between them).

Wayne had a very long career at Championship level after us at Swindon & Huddersfield, Marcus Stewart said he was the best strike partner he had.

What would Stewart know, eh? He was only the top English goal scorer in the Prem once at Ipswich..

Dogshit? That’s your original statement.

Is if had made the joke about Liam Robinson that would be more like it he was seriously shit! 

the Chief was a handful and never stopped working for the team too!

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bad enough to score twice against Liverpool, a hat trick against Birmingham at home, to score 15 league goals in a season playing up front for an Osman side (the next highest was 6), when his “support” was Ian Baird & Liam Robinson (who got 9 between them).

Wayne had a very long career at Championship level after us at Swindon & Huddersfield, Marcus Stewart said he was the best strike partner he had.

What would Stewart know, eh? He was only the top English goal scorer in the Prem once at Ipswich..

That man in bold. Worst player I've ever seen in a city shirt. Period. (I missed the Bas Savage reign of terror).

And for me, Bob Taylor. What a peach of a player he was, with Turner, such a handful. You always thought we would score 2 a game.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wow, Marcus Stewart as a benchmark. 

Allison replaced Taylor.

Taylor played (and scored) in the Prem.

But hey, Allison scored a hat-trick, so he must have been tremendous.

21 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Wow, Marcus Stewart as a benchmark. 

Allison replaced Taylor.

Taylor played (and scored) in the Prem.

But hey, Allison scored a hat-trick, so he must have been tremendous.

Allison did not replace Taylor, he replaced Turner, they were here at the same time until Lumsden decided he wanted a Polish pisshead to provide entertainment, rather than goals.

Dziekanowski replaced Bob.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Allison did not replace Taylor, he replaced Turner, they were here at the same time until Lumsden decided he wanted a Polish pisshead to provide entertainment, rather than goals.

Dziekanowski replaced Bob.

Not sure that's quite right, you know...but it was a long time ago. Where did Turner go?

Jacki is fondly remembered, and had ability to burn, but I agree - pissed away more talent than most players ever had to start with. 

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Not sure that's quite right, you know...but it was a long time ago. Where did Turner go?

Jacki is fondly remembered, and had ability to burn, but I agree - pissed away more talent than most players ever had to start with. 

Turner was sold to Plymouth in the same summer that we signed Wayne Allison from Watford as part of a deal that saw Mark Gavin join them, this was under Jordan.

Lumsden felt Bob was struggling so sold him to West Brom & bought Dziekanowski from Celtic, a horrendous deal for us.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Turner was sold to Plymouth in the same summer that we signed Wayne Allison from Watford as part of a deal that saw Mark Gavin join them, this was under Jordan.

Lumsden felt Bob was struggling so sold him to West Brom & bought Dziekanowski from Celtic, a horrendous deal for us.

Take your word for it, Allison was still bobbins, mind

24 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Perhap's we need a pissed up XI? Or players that played better when they'd had a few.

Archived