IGNORED

EFL cup tonight

Lanterne Rouge

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's fairly typical of a continental manager's approach towards priorities I guess. Ismael will see it as a cup competition that realistically WBA won't win, but could add injuries to a squad expected to get promotion from this league.

Generalisation of course but I think an English manager who understands what it means for the fans to take a scalp like Arsenal wouldn't be so pragmatic about it. 

Is Arteta not continental??? He seems to have gone for a strong side!

I'm joking, he's probably been anglicised enough, and obviously has different reasons for desperately wanting a result tonight.

I guess I should look on the positive side - if Arsenal still lose then not only have they lost to WBA...they've lost to WBA reserves with their own first team.

So this is a genuine question, not trying to stir the pot or be controversial. 

I'm watching WBA Arsenal on Sky, and the 'Black Lives Matter' banner just popped up. I thought everybody was distancing the kneeling, etc, from BLM, due to the negative associations with BLM as a political group?

Just a bit surprised, I didn't think Sky was still flying the BLM banner on coverage? Isn't it counter productive still putting up that banner? 

Sorry if this is unwanted politics on a footy thread, please ignore if that's the case, I'm just genuinely curious!

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why were you livid? Why were you that desperate for the gunners to be defeated?! 

You've got me on a good day, so I will indulge you and explain my emotions to a stranger on the internet.

I accept that the use of the word 'livid' may have been mildly hyperbolic, however I maintain that at the least I was disappointed, and may even have been annoyed. This is for a few reasons tbh, which I'll summarise as follows.

Firstly I have a relatively deep-rooted dislike of Arsenal. They've a grubby history, an over-inflated view of themselves, and I've never really found much cause to like that club. As a child in the 90's I had greater affinity with Man Utd and so naturally disliked Arsenal who were their main rivals. As an adult I've learned more about Arsenal's history and have read little to impress me. I've a number of close friends that support them, and it's nothing against the fans, but the club itself always just seems a little off.

Secondly I like to see EFL teams do well against premier league sides. Given how both WBA and Arsenal have started their seasons I thought that last night's game was a good opportunity for an EFL side to nab a win. I also thought we'd get to see an entertaining game where WBA played fast and direct, and it would have been interesting to see how a premier league team lacking in confidence would cope with that.

Thirdly, I was very impressed with Ismael's management of Barnsley last season. He did a very good job of implementing a clear plan, with limited resources, and achieved far more than many (although not I) thought he was capable of. I like him as a manager and was disappointed to see him throw in the towel before kick-off.

Finally, I guess I just like an underdog - I support Bristol City for goodness sake.

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You've got me on a good day, so I will indulge you and explain my emotions to a stranger on the internet.

I accept that the use of the word 'livid' may have been mildly hyperbolic, however I maintain that at the least I was disappointed, and may even have been annoyed. This is for a few reasons tbh, which I'll summarise as follows.

Firstly I have a relatively deep-rooted dislike of Arsenal. They've a grubby history, an over-inflated view of themselves, and I've never really found much cause to like that club. As a child in the 90's I had greater affinity with Man Utd and so naturally disliked Arsenal who were their main rivals. As an adult I've learned more about Arsenal's history and have read little to impress me. I've a number of close friends that support them, and it's nothing against the fans, but the club itself always just seems a little off.

Secondly I like to see EFL teams do well against premier league sides. Given how both WBA and Arsenal have started their seasons I thought that last night's game was a good opportunity for an EFL side to nab a win. I also thought we'd get to see an entertaining game where WBA played fast and direct, and it would have been interesting to see how a premier league team lacking in confidence would cope with that.

Thirdly, I was very impressed with Ismael's management of Barnsley last season. He did a very good job of implementing a clear plan, with limited resources, and achieved far more than many (although not I) thought he was capable of. I like him as a manager and was disappointed to see him throw in the towel before kick-off.

Finally, I guess I just like an underdog - I support Bristol City for goodness sake.

Thanks for the very detailed and informative response. You end by saying you support Bristol City but early in your reply you admit to having a ‘greater affinity with Man Utd’ - how did that come about?

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for the very detailed and informative response. You end by saying you support Bristol City but early in your reply you admit to having a ‘greater affinity with Man Utd’ - how did that come about?

I was a child in Bristol in the 90s. None of my male relatives liked football or guided me towards City. Man Utd won everything and as a naive kid I drifted to them.

It was in my teens that I realised the madness of supporting a club I had nothing to do with. I was born in the BRI and grew up in Hotwells so City were the pick.

On 25/08/2021 at 20:15, DolmanGaz said:

So this is a genuine question, not trying to stir the pot or be controversial. 

I'm watching WBA Arsenal on Sky, and the 'Black Lives Matter' banner just popped up. I thought everybody was distancing the kneeling, etc, from BLM, due to the negative associations with BLM as a political group?

Just a bit surprised, I didn't think Sky was still flying the BLM banner on coverage? Isn't it counter productive still putting up that banner? 

Sorry if this is unwanted politics on a footy thread, please ignore if that's the case, I'm just genuinely curious!

BLM is not an ‘organisation’  it has no leaders, no members. It is just a statement of fact.

12 hours ago, RumRed said:

BLM is not an ‘organisation’  it has no leaders, no members. It is just a statement of fact.

I totally agree with the sentiment behind it. But with respect, BLM 'is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.'

It says that on the 'about BLM' page on the BLM website!

Archived