IGNORED

A Bristol Barrel?

Port Said Red

I am looking to pick the collective OTIB brains on this one.

I have just finished listening to an audiobook of Gullivers Travels, a book I don't think I have read in its entirety before. It's a fascinating book full of satirical references to our society, some lost in time, some that still resonate. If you have only seen any of the films, you would be forgiven for thinking he only went to Lilliput, but this was only one of several voyages.

Anyway, on to the question. Being the 17th century, Bristol gets several mentions as a port of departure and return, but in one passage he describes something as being "about the size of a Bristol Barrel", which isn't a term I have heard before. I have Googled it with little success, in fact the only references I have found go back to Gulliver!

So, has anyone else heard this term? Anyone know why a Bristol Barrel was different from other barrels? 

I did wonder whether they might have been a different size or shape for easy storage on a ship, but that's as far as I got. Any thoughts would be welcome.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am looking to pick the collective OTIB brains on this one.

I have just finished listening to an audiobook of Gullivers Travels, a book I don't think I have read in its entirety before. It's a fascinating book full of satirical references to our society, some lost in time, some that still resonate. If you have only seen any of the films, you would be forgiven for thinking he only went to Lilliput, but this was only one of several voyages.

Anyway, on to the question. Being the 17th century, Bristol gets several mentions as a port of departure and return, but in one passage he describes something as being "about the size of a Bristol Barrel", which isn't a term I have heard before. I have Googled it with little success, in fact the only references I have found go back to Gulliver!

So, has anyone else heard this term? Anyone know why a Bristol Barrel was different from other barrels? 

I did wonder whether they might have been a different size or shape for easy storage on a ship, but that's as far as I got. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Just had a quick look, might be referring to one of these?

https://www.ernahiscockantiques.com/view_product.php?product_id=3471

Depending on what was being described in the book, these barrels aren’t very big…

I’ve just dug out an old  annotated Longman edition of Gulliver from very distant university days and the editor, some Professor Ross wittered on in the notes on Bristol Barrels about different measures in different places which in view of exAtyeoMax’s pretty conclusive piece of evidence is clearly total rubbish. 

nice one, exAtyeo - I think you’ve nailed it and put Oxford in their place. We might not be very good at football these days but we’re damned good at literary commentary! COYRs……..

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Just had a quick look, might be referring to one of these?

https://www.ernahiscockantiques.com/view_product.php?product_id=3471

Depending on what was being described in the book, these barrels aren’t very big…

Thanks Max, I have just had a proper look and I assume these are just ornamental? You wouldn't store anything in something that size? :)  

Looking at it though, I wonder if it is to do with the design? Beer barrels tend to have a tap/access at the end, that one in the picture is on top and, if that picture is accurate, looks like you could balance one barrel on top of another for squeezing in more cargo into the ships hold?

2 hours ago, Renaissance Williams said:

I’ve just dug out an old  annotated Longman edition of Gulliver from very distant university days and the editor, some Professor Ross wittered on in the notes on Bristol Barrels about different measures in different places which in view of exAtyeoMax’s pretty conclusive piece of evidence is clearly total rubbish. 

nice one, exAtyeo - I think you’ve nailed it and put Oxford in their place. We might not be very good at football these days but we’re damned good at literary commentary! COYRs……..

I would be interested in some of those annotations, it might throw some light on what he is lampooning in places. My own thoughts is that the first voyage to Lilliput he starts making some sly digs at the aristocracy, but by the time he makes it to Houyhnhnm he is just letting rip at European society in particular with no pretence at hiding his true thoughts. Oh, and I think he was on drugs. :) 

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would be interested in some of those annotations, it might throw some light on what he is lampooning in places. My own thoughts is that the first voyage to Lilliput he starts making some sly digs at the aristocracy, but by the time he makes it to Houyhnhnm he is just letting rip at European society in particular with no pretence at hiding his true thoughts. Oh, and I think he was on drugs. :) 

I'm ashamed to say that I've not re-opened the book since 1976!!!!!

But having got it off the shelf and blown all the dust off, I'll add it to my books waiting to be read table. Even after 45 years I can still remember bits with scary clarity.

I don't think he actually was on drugs in the way Coleridge and De Quincey were, ie full on junkies: but I remember Swift did have Menieres Disease so might have been on regular doses of now very illegal substances. I also remember and regularly quote (misquote as it turns out, I've had to  check it!) Yeats' epitaph to Swift and it always seems to be what I'd love someone to say about me post mortem but know I haven't earned it:

SWIFT has sailed into his rest;
Savage indignation there
Cannot lacerate his breast.
Imitate him if you dare,
World-besotted traveller; he
Served human liberty.

Apologies for pretentious stuff - normal service will now be resumed!

Archived