IGNORED

Team for Cardiff

bcfc01

Cardiff have scored 8 this season, all headers.

Top scorer in the Championship is Aden Flint.

They have five players who can launch a ball into the box from a throw-in.

Seems pretty obvious what to expect Saturday from Cardiff. 

With that in mind, should Dasilva and Simpson be left out given their height ? Or do we let them worry about our strengths and keep to the same team ?  

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Cardiff have scored 8 this season, all headers.

Top scorer in the Championship is Aden Flint.

They have five players who can launch a ball into the box from a throw-in.

Seems pretty obvious what to expect Saturday from Cardiff. 

With that in mind, should Dasilva and Simpson be left out given their height ? Or do we let them worry about our strengths and keep to the same team ?  

Might be wise to go with Baker and Vyner at full back to help defend set pieces, though its going to be difficult regardless!

I’d prefer us to give the opposition something to worry about rather than focussing on their strengths too much. 

In Baker/Atkinson/Kalas we should be able to battle the in the air if necessary. Dasilva hasn’t started that well, but we know he’s quality when on form and has far more big game experience than Pring.

I think direct running utilising the likes of Weimann and perhaps CO’D might be the key to victory here. Their captain Morrison got injured last night and we know Flint has weaknesses. 

I'm not normally a fan of changing the team to combat opposition, however in this game I think we will need to... The below team looks hideous and I wouldn't advocate it for any other game but we know exactly what we are going to get from Cardiff. (Can potentially swap Baker and Atkinson)

Bentley

Vyner         Kalas             Atkinson         Baker

James          King

Massengo             Palmer                    Pring

Martin

I  know HNM had a really good game in Midfield against Swansea but think we need an extra bit of experience in there, I've played Palmer over Scott as I actually feel Palmer does more work than people realise defensively.

By going with a team like this if you're in the game after an hour or so you've then got license to bring on quicker more attacking players and get at them. I understand why people are saying Martin will be no good against Flint/Morrison but if we can get the ball to feet he can buy us fouls and hold up the ball. Pring, Massengo and Palmer will need  to get as close to him as they can. 

Edit - Forgot Weimann, take out Palmer, have HNM as the number 10 and Weimann out wide...

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d prefer us to give the opposition something to worry about rather than focussing on their strengths too much. 

In Baker/Atkinson/Kalas we should be able to battle the in the air if necessary. Dasilva hasn’t started that well, but we know he’s quality when on form and has far more big game experience than Pring.

I think direct running utilising the likes of Weimann and perhaps CO’D might be the key to victory here. Their captain Morrison got injured last night and we know Flint has weaknesses. 

Not sure how serious the injury is re Morrison, but I they lose Moore to Wolves in the next couple of days, it'll be helpful.

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

I'm not normally a fan of changing the team to combat opposition, however in this game I think we will need to... The below team looks hideous and I wouldn't advocate it for any other game but we know exactly what we are going to get from Cardiff. (Can potentially swap Baker and Atkinson)

Bentley

James          King

Martin

I  know HNM had a really good game in Midfield against Swansea but think we need an extra bit of experience in there, I've played Palmer over Scott as I actually feel Palmer does more work than people realise defensively.

By going with a team like this if you're in the game after an hour or so you've then got license to bring on quicker more attacking players and get at them. I understand why people are saying Martin will be no good against Flint/Morrison but if we can get the ball to feet he can buy us fouls and hold up the ball. Pring, Massengo and Palmer will need  to get as close to him as they can. 

Weimann ?

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure how serious the injury is re Morrison, but I they lose Moore to Wolves in the next couple of days, it'll be helpful.

Weimann ?

I'd be tempted to go 3 at the back,,Kalas, Atkinson, Baker -James & King in front of them..pring lwb,,Vyner right..

Then Scott,, Weimann & C'OD with Martin 'up top...

Gives us a bit more height & physicality to deal with the areal threat plus attacking intent...

What could go wrong!

20 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Bentley

James          King

Martin

Edit - Forgot Weimann, take out Palmer, have HNM as the number 10 and Weimann out wide...

I'm sorry I know its your opinion but that team is awful. That looks like an LJ experiment (square pegs in round holes to nullify the opposition)

2 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I'd be tempted to go 3 at the back,,Kalas, Atkinson, Baker -James & King in front of them..pring lwb,,Vyner right..

Then Scott,, Weimann & C'OD with Martin 'up top...

Gives us a bit more height & physicality to deal with the areal threat plus attacking intent...

What could go wrong!

The ref could spot that we have 11 outfield players ?

I'd probably go..

Bentley

Simpson, Baker, Atkinson, Dasilva

Massengo, James

Weimann, King, Pring

Martin

I wouldn't change the back 4 that needs time playing together. Think we will need King's experience. Wouldn't drop Pring or Massengo as both are playing well. Harsh on Scott but no harm in rotating him in and out a bit at this stage. 

I said previously, as we haven't played any minutes with a 3, there is no point in going down that route. But after NP said it is an option, I would revert to my preferred  shape for this one. I would want Baker in, and playing him at LB is a step too far for me. 
This is how I would set up.

Kalas/Atkinson/Baker

I feel this is a good balance. A good footballing CB, flanked bu 2 proper defenders.

Simpson/ King/ James/ Pring

Simpson in for his experience, less likely to be bullied. King & James for the obvious and Pring as he is a proper WB with good delivery.

Weimann / HNM 

I'd like to see Massengo running with the ball further up, and with his & Weimann energy should be a good press. Not sure COD is fit & Semenyo was way off last week.

Martin,

Picks himself as the only striker NP seems to want ATM.

Not sure Pearson will go 3-4-2-1 or 5-3-1-1 or however you want to write it. But it feels like a game we could do with extra height and aerial strength.  It would also allow the WBs to play wider and hopefully cut off supply. 

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What happened to the ‘let them worry about us’ brigade?!

Cut off their supply, dominate possession and they will worry about us. But all the time one big ball into the area is a threat, then you have to take account of that.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I said previously, as we haven't played any minutes with a 3, there is no point in going down that route. But after NP said it is an option, I would revert to my preferred  shape for this one. I would want Baker in, and playing him at LB is a step too far for me. 
This is how I would set up.

Kalas/Atkinson/Baker

I feel this is a good balance. A good footballing CB, flanked bu 2 proper defenders.

Simpson/ King/ James/ Pring

Simpson in for his experience, less likely to be bullied. King & James for the obvious and Pring as he is a proper WB with good delivery.

Weimann / HNM 

I'd like to see Massengo running with the ball further up, and with his & Weimann energy should be a good press. Not sure COD is fit & Semenyo was way off last week.

Martin,

Picks himself as the only striker NP seems to want ATM.

Not sure Pearson will go 3-4-2-1 or 5-3-1-1 or however you want to write it. But it feels like a game we could do with extra height and aerial strength.  It would also allow the WBs to play wider and hopefully cut off supply. 

I like the thinking there. I agree in theory looks like it could be effective. I wonder whether CO'D would be a better option as a naturally left sided player - he could also swap out with Pring if either aren't having much luck as LWB and they play quite differently when deployed as wide players. I can see the logic in trying HNM there but I wonder whether a natural wide player with genuine pace might be a better option.

Weimann and HNM or whoever could play a bit narrower in a similar formation to Chelsea. It would rely on the wing backs doing an awful lot of work at both ends of the pitch though. 

39 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Bentley

James          King

Martin

I think there is huge merit in this sort of line-up.

Tactically one thing we know is that they are gonna get some set pieces from which they can launch it into our box, whether that be throwins with our final 25 yards, or free-kicks from anywhere from 10 yards within their own half.  We won’t avoid that, we can hope to limit the amount though by not giving away unnecessary opportunities, e.g. stupid fouls.  Therefore knowing we are gonna have to defend some, it makes sense to “go big”.

The other key thing against a team like Cardiff is to put pressure on the bloke who’s gonna ping diags into our box in general play.  Typically this will be their Wingbacks or the likes of Pack, Ralls from midfield.

Last week v Millwall (h):

7BBB4513-E604-4FBF-A584-9F2A4A8C4EAD.thumb.jpeg.faafeb7b0d3136c4304849fb776407dd.jpeg

Week before v Peterborough (a):

1478A3C8-8D35-41F7-AACD-8A25C12D4CFE.thumb.jpeg.b2a65e00e9d084ca6c46ddfedd62c6ec.jpeg

We really need to get pressure on their wingbacks, we cannot let them get their heads up (not Pack and Rolls) and pick Moore as the target.  They need to be hitting hurried less accurate diags.  My view is that switching to a 352 will mean our WBs will have to 1-for-1 against theirs and leave easy channel ball / open ground for their defenders to hit or they sit deep to protect our CBs and give Cardiff’s WBs loads of time to get the ball and deliver.

It is a fine line thinking we just have to impose our game and not worry about Cardiff and naively thinking Cardiff won’t get any opportunity to play to their strengths.

For me we want energetic and imposing players on the pitch, Pring has done that in spades in his two games.  Having said that I’m not against Scott starting again either, I think he can be trusted to carry out tactical instruction, e.g. stop their LWB having any time on the ball.

Team selection will be whatever it is.  But for once I do agree it’s possibly not the game for Dasilva.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Cut off their supply, dominate possession and they will worry about us. But all the time one big ball into the area is a threat, then you have to take account of that.

That is the gist of my post above.  You can’t expect to just play our game….that’s just plain naivety.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think there is huge merit in this sort of line-up.

Tactically one thing we know is that they are gonna get some set pieces from which they can launch it into our box, whether that be throwins with our final 25 yards, or free-kicks from anywhere from 10 yards within their own half.  We won’t avoid that, we can hope to limit the amount though by not giving away unnecessary opportunities, e.g. stupid fouls.  Therefore knowing we are gonna have to defend some, it makes sense to “go big”.

The other key thing against a team like Cardiff is to put pressure on the bloke who’s gonna ping diags into our box in general play.  Typically this will be their Wingbacks or the likes of Pack, Ralls from midfield.

Last week v Millwall (h):

Week before v Peterborough (a):

We really need to get pressure on their wingbacks, we cannot let them get their heads up (not Pack and Rolls) and pick Moore as the target.  They need to be hitting hurried less accurate diags.  My view is that switching to a 352 will mean our WBs will have to 1-for-1 against theirs and leave easy channel ball / open ground for their defenders to hit or they sit deep to protect our CBs and give Cardiff’s WBs loads of time to get the ball and deliver.

It is a fine line thinking we just have to impose our game and not worry about Cardiff and naively thinking Cardiff won’t get any opportunity to play to their strengths.

For me we want energetic and imposing players on the pitch, Pring has done that in spades in his two games.  Having said that I’m not against Scott starting again either, I think he can be trusted to carry out tactical instruction, e.g. stop their LWB having any time on the ball.

Team selection will be whatever it is.  But for once I do agree it’s possibly not the game for Dasilva.

Good post Dave, definitely makes sense. I am not sure it's "naïve" necessarily to advocate playing to our strengths though. It's Cardiff City not Man City. On paper this should be a fairly even contest.

I think he principle behind this thinking is ultimately to shrug off the old way we've played for years.. players out of position, 'busy' but unproductive midfield and a team that rarely imposes themselves on the game with a soft underbelly. Against Reading and to a large extent Swansea we looked like a team starting to turn the corner - people want this to continue. 

I think their CBs are there to be got at. They're obviously physical and dominant aerially but all to an extent are vulnerable to direct running. We know Flint is in particular and we have a few players that can cause them issues in this department. Ironically, despite the criticism he's received, it could be a game for Semenyo to make his mark. He is fast, direct and fairly physical. His pace and directness may spook them. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good post Dave, definitely makes sense. I am not sure it's "naïve" necessarily to advocate playing to our strengths though. It's Cardiff City not Man City. On paper this should be a fairly even contest.

I think he principle behind this thinking is ultimately to shrug off the old way we've played for years.. players out of position, 'busy' but unproductive midfield and a team that rarely imposes themselves on the game with a soft underbelly. Against Reading and to a large extent Swansea we looked like a team starting to turn the corner - people want this to continue. 

I think their CBs are there to be got at. They're obviously physical and dominant aerially but all to an extent are vulnerable to direct running. We know Flint is in particular and we have a few players that can cause them issues in this department. Ironically, despite the criticism he's received, it could be a game for Semenyo to make his mark. He is fast, direct and fairly physical. His pace and directness may spook them. 

It’s @1960maaan’s post that really simplifies the fact that you can’t nullify Cardiff for all of the 90 minutes…and naive to think you can.  They are a team that are efficient with low possession.  We can impose our game as much as we like, but Cardiff will get some opportunity.  It’s why I’m advocating we continue to play our 442(ish) system, but a couple of personnel changes.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s @1960maaan’s post that really simplifies the fact that you can’t nullify Cardiff for all of the 90 minutes…and naive to think you can.  They are a team that are efficient with low possession.  We can impose our game as much as we like, but Cardiff will get some opportunity.  It’s why I’m advocating we continue to play our 442(ish) system, but a couple of personnel changes.

I do agree with the principle, just don't think we need to change the 11 too much to do this. The only issue I have is Dasilva but I think it's probably worth sticking with him as he may suddenly find his form. I'm not a huge fan of using Baker at LB for example as I think Cardiff would target that. Interesting quandary for Pearson though. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I tend to agree with that, but there has to be an element of minimising their threats and I would also agree with a number of people on this thread who think Dasilva will come under pressure if he plays. I would play Pring or Baker at left back. Maybe Pring in front of Baker. I think Vyner may be handy for this game as well - the long diagonal balls they play should be at least mitigated by Vyner on the right and Baker/Pring on the left.

Agree with the bold bit, we need to get Weimann, Scott, and maybe Semenyo or COD running at the centre backs and at least getting free kicks around the area.

BENTLEY

KALAS           BAKER             ATKINSON         PRING

JAMES            KING

WEIMANN      MASSENGO     O'DOWDA

MARTIN

1 minute ago, AG City said:

BENTLEY

KALAS           BAKER             ATKINSON         PRING

JAMES            KING

WEIMANN      MASSENGO     O'DOWDA

MARTIN

Spot on this.