IGNORED

Team for Cardiff

bcfc01

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I do agree with the principle, just don't think we need to change the 11 too much to do this. The only issue I have is Dasilva but I think it's probably worth sticking with him as he may suddenly find his form. I'm not a huge fan of using Baker at LB for example as I think Cardiff would target that. Interesting quandary for Pearson though. 

Absolutely.  We have some options which is good.

@AG City’s suggestion above works well too.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely.  We have some options which is good.

@AG City’s suggestion above works well too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does use Baker at LB actually, post-Reading he commented specifically on Baker's "can do" attitude towards playing LB. 

Even if he starts with a (for easiness sake) 4-2-3-1 he can always turn that into a back 5 and bring Pring into LWB if we're under pressure. A win would be great for morale.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

I'd be tempted to go 3 at the back,,Kalas, Atkinson, Baker -James & King in front of them..pring lwb,,Vyner right..

Then Scott,, Weimann & C'OD with Martin 'up top...

Gives us a bit more height & physicality to deal with the areal threat plus attacking intent...

What could go wrong!

That’s 12 players with the keeper 

Tough one.

Despite the scapegoating of Simpson he was far better than Dasilva last Friday & although I’m not a fan of altering your team because of the opposition, I’d leave Jay out.

King will presumably return, Cardiff’s midfield Pack, Ralls with Vaulks on the bench is an experienced, physical one & good as HNM was, he could only stay in if we played a three, I think.

Scott is another to ponder, we certainly can’t go there with a lot of young, physically smaller players & expect to do very well.

Personally I’d start with Pring at LB rather than Baker, who would only come in if we switched to a back three, which seems highly unlikely.

No idea how close O’Dowda & Williams are to selection, I would certainly include the former for balance if he is.

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

On this day in 2012 we played Cardiff early on and smashed them 4-2 (after beating Palace 4-1 the game before - Martin Woolford looking like a new man)

We'd signed Heaton, Cunningham and Baldock among others.

That season didn't end well ?‍♂️

It did for both those teams you mentioned !

If we stick with a 4, then of the options mentioned I think shifting Kalas to RB and Pring to LB is the one I prefer. 
He's played there enough and as a temporary move it's ok. It also means we could keep a system where our pressing has been good. Important against a side that we could do with restricting their supply to the big men. 

Not convinced by DS but his experience & know how would be a better option than ZV for this game in my opinion. I would even be tempted to play TK right back in a 4.

ZV is actually very good technically but positionally suspect. I’m also not sure that for a bloke of his size he’s very good in the air either.

50 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Hopefully a new striker is signed for Saturday. 

Why particularly for Saturday? Martin has been excellent in the air so far and to me seems to be the perfect striker to play against Flint and the rest of Cardiff's backline. I am not sure who we could get in before Saturday who would be better suited?

A new striker may be needed - although I don't think it's our no.1 priority - but I wonder why you particularly want them in for the Cardiff game.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Why particularly for Saturday? Martin has been excellent in the air so far and to me seems to be the perfect striker to play against Flint and the rest of Cardiff's backline. I am not sure who we could get in before Saturday who would be better suited?

A new striker may be needed - although I don't think it's our no.1 priority - but I wonder why you particularly want them in for the Cardiff game.

Just says whatever comes to their mind without much consideration

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Flint said a while ago that Martin is the hardest forward he's played against and hopefully that's proven on Saturday. Flint in 1st place for aerial duels in the Championship, but Martin is 2nd.

Two goals in four games and playing well - no rush to replace Martin as this time imo.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Flint said a while ago that Martin is the hardest forward he's played against and hopefully that's proven on Saturday. Flint in 1st place for aerial duels in the Championship, but Martin is 2nd.

Two goals in four games and playing well - no rush to replace Martin as this time imo.

Precisely.

Saturday is a case of two teams that play similar (not identical; similar) games. Both teams have had success from set pieces so far this season.

I'd agree with a lot of what's been said on here regarding defence. I'd like to see all 3 of Baker, Atkinson and Baker start. Whether that's as a 3 at the back or a back 4 with Kalas at RB I'm not sure. Please allow me some fence sitting there.

Going forward I think we carry on with the direct style we've seen so far. We've won a lot of balls high up the pitch and if we can do that, and then get runners behind Flint whilst Martin holds him up - then there's potential for some joy there. 

I'm really looking forward to this game. It has the potential to be a real humdinger of a derby.

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He's also a far more intelligent player than he gets credit for. He might be one of those players where it's difficult to appreciate him on TV as lots of his good work is done off the ball. Maybe now fans are back in stadiums we can appreciate his abilities. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's also a far more intelligent player than he gets credit for. He might be one of those players where it's difficult to appreciate him on TV as lots of his good work is done off the ball. Maybe now fans are back in stadiums we can appreciate his abilities. 

Very clever player and uses his body well, lost count of the  number of times I've seen him between two defenders and still win the ball in the air despite being inches shorter than them. He needs players around him, which we seem to have this season.

Take two?

Bentley.

Kalas.    Baker.   Atkinson.

King.

Vyner.       James.       Pring.

Scott.

Weimann. Martin.

3-1-3-1-2 attacking...

3-5-2 defending.

Would like to see us try this but know it won't happen ?

Think Scott could actually have a big part to play here, the way he's caused trouble against back 3's by getting in space between outside CB and WB, stick him on Morrison's side and make him a nightmare to pick up, try and drag Morrison out and isolate Flint with Weimann's movement attacking him. Stick Martin 5-10 yards infront receiving balls with Weimann/Scott/King movement attacking gaps from CB coming out to deal with Martin.

Bentley

Vyner.       Kalas.          Atkinson.         Dasilva

James.    Massengo

King                                Scott         

Weimann

Martin

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was wondering if fielding Baker for one of the CB's might not be a good idea given the aerial threat...Kalas and Atkinson useful combo for a high line and Atkinson especially in terms of carrying the ball but would this be a good game for Baker?

Baker set a good high line in pre-season and Blackpool.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Baker set a good high line in pre-season and Blackpool.

Thats my only concern with Kalas - he drops too deep at times, too much space between back four and midfield for the opposition to play in.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was wondering if fielding Baker for one of the CB's might not be a good idea given the aerial threat...Kalas and Atkinson useful combo for a high line and Atkinson especially in terms of carrying the ball but would this be a good game for Baker?

My concern would be is if the Baker who doesn't like playing out shows up and plays long balls for Morrison/Flint to head away all game

Archived